TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bikes and cars you lusted after, but turned out to be less than ideal!

Liked 749 in 354 posts

Default Re: Bikes and cars you lusted after, but turned out to be less than ideal!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    Was the tractor/Lotus interface deliberate?
    Not according to my late FIL he tried and succeeded in starting the tractor which was parked in front of the lotus in order to raise the box on the tractor so he could cut some wood up on the box. It starts, hand throttle wide open and it was in gear hence it climbs the lotus and rips it to bits. tractor's still running and is fine FWIW. LOTUS was properly FUBARRED.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Default Re: Bikes and cars you lusted after, but turned out to be less than ideal!

GSXR1100L.

The rest have been pretty good.

Re-ask the question about women however and a greater proportion failed to live up to my (self constructed of course) fantasies.

Liked 903 in 520 posts
    Blog Entries

My current car. Didnt exactly lust after it, I got it as it was a bit of a bargain on a 2 year lease.

Mercedes A250 AMG. What an unreliable, irritating shower of shite it is. Very tech heavy, with full TFT dash, which would be fine if the thing worked. I'd go through the litany of intermittent faults it has but it would just get my blood pressue up. It's back into the dealer again today. Mercedes customer service is hit and miss as well, compared to BMW's anyway.

I've got another 18 months with it and am already looking forward to getting rid of it.

Liked 129 in 84 posts
    Blog Entries

gsx750s pop up katana
    in 1986 i lusted after it (and kim basinger).
    when i bought one in 2008, things had moved a bit in the ergo/handling/power stakes.
    still took it 2 up to Paris though.
    as for cars, alfasud. or the flintstones special.
    late 70s lancia beta complete with vanishing gearbox mounts

5. The following user liked this post made by sadlonelygit:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,704 in 2,264 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post
    gsx750s pop up katana
    in 1986 i lusted after it (and kim basinger).
    when i bought one in 2008, things had moved a bit in the ergo/handling/power stakes.
    still took it 2 up to Paris though.
    as for cars, alfasud. or the flintstones special.
    late 70s lancia beta complete with vanishing gearbox mounts
    They weren't considered great in 1986, they're basically a 1983 GSX750ESD in fancy clothes, by 1986 we had GSXR750s and FZ750s to enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

7. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 129 in 84 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    They weren't considered great in 1986, they're basically a 1983 GSX750ESD in fancy clothes, by 1986 we had GSXR750s and FZ750s to enjoy.

yebbut they didnt have a pop up headlight!
    Having ridden a slabbie when they came out, didnt suit my body size/shape. gave me thigh cramps in 30 mins riding.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,704 in 2,264 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post
    yebbut they didnt have a pop up headlight!
    Having ridden a slabbie when they came out, didnt suit my body size/shape. gave me thigh cramps in 30 mins riding.
    I had one 3 years, cramped my legs something rotten, but by fuck did I look cool on it.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

I dispatched on an old 750 pop up light Katana in the early 90s. It was as JB points out an 80s bike with a fancy headlight. Amazingly it was ok to dispatch on. The black chrome finish on the headers polished up like new before I sold it.

I also had a TDR250 and CB1300S (mentioned by others) and thought they were both fine.

Liked 2,842 in 2,019 posts

As I said in another thread, I once lusted after an Alfetta GTV 2000 ...

... Back in the day I had an Alfetta GTV 2000. Great handling car with a lovely engine but the construction quality was utter crap. Rust spots appeared where it looked like the bloke had sneezed while painting the drivers door, and a wheel came loose on the A406 North Circular because the studs were faulty. So at 5,000 miles and 5 months into a 6 month warranty I got rid of it. I said never again, and I never did.

Liked 561 in 310 posts

Honda Firestorm

I fancied on when they first came out in 97, and a half hour test ride on a used one persuaded me to hand over my money for a new one in 2004 (the only new bike I've ever bought) I discovered that the engine was fine but the suspension was crap, the seat was a plank and the riding position was very uncomfortable after an hour or so. A new WP rear shock and reworked forks improved the suspension and a Corbin seat eased the pain in my arse but changing the bars didn't make the riding position any better. I sold it after 18 months and 10800 miles for 2500 less than I paid and bought a Speed Triple instead.

Liked 302 in 204 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    I also had a TDR250
    wait, what? who doesn't like the TDR250?!

Liked 1,354 in 953 posts

I thought an LC640 SM would be the dream bike for me except it wasn't as nimble as a sports bike on the road and too heavy to do anything challenging off road, at least it was comfy to sit on.

Liked 293 in 160 posts
    Blog Entries

Laverda Mirage. Looked the Dogs, but was a top heavy, vibey, thirsty and unreliable. Big disappointment. But always looked great on the bench in the dealers workshop. Likewise a 600 Bandit I purchased to do my commute on. Sold after a week as it was just dreadful-worse than any of the 600 Diversions I used.

On the good side I have an RS250 which has looks belies its 19 year old age. Also an Abbott/Maptun/Noobtune modified Saab 9-5 Aero HOT that puts out 304 bhp. It goes, handles and stops brilliantly. Best bang for buck car you can buy with 260 bhp as standard.

16. The following user liked this post made by whysub:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission