TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuter thread: Gore-tex gear needs replacing. To Rukka or not to Rukka?

Liked 4,037 in 2,021 posts

Default Re: Commuter thread: Gore-tex gear needs replacing. To Rukka or not to Rukka?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
    I liked the Klim stuff but it was very pricey (at Sportsbikeshop). I think it's the best for waterproofing but compared to similarly priced Rukka it wasn't loaded with insulation. IRC Abel uses a Klim jacket and rates (or at least he did when I last saw him in July 201.

The laminate is definitely better than the triple layer as it holds much less water and still retains warmth. Given the mileage I'm doing I'm cleaning it every 3/4 months.
    He is back on Rukka Cam and has been for a while...... Navigator jacket iirc

He had a Klim jacket when we did Norway in 2016 and i was on Rukka but it leaked like mad on that trip after 8 years all year round use so i replaced it with Dainese Goretex jacket and trousers. Been waterproof but not as warm as the Rukka. Mine was trashed in last years crash but replaced it with another Carve Master 2 jacket and Trousers which has been good all round despite a few lengthy soakings in hours of riding. Temp of 6 degrees this morning but still using a thin base layer and havent put the thermal layer in yet

2. The following user liked this post made by Bigyin:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 289 in 139 posts

Default Re: Commuter thread: Gore-tex gear needs replacing. To Rukka or not to Rukka?

The zip in my 35 year old Motomod has just given up.
    What's Gortex ?

4. The following user liked this post made by Nobbynumbnut:

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 210 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    He is back on Rukka Cam and has been for a while...... Navigator jacket iirc
    I'm getting old and the Coca-Cola has addled my brain.

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

I'm getting old and the Coca-Cola has addled my brain.
    Nothing to do with the age.....

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Rukka and BMW textiles were a league ahead IMO. TBF MO is >10 years out of date. Maybe things have changed.

If I was looking into quality textiles I'd still check both out. My aged ones are still all good.

Liked 417 in 239 posts

I've been using Dainese kit for the last 5 years or so. It still looks good and the only sign of wear is one of the jacket zips has lost it's tag thingy.

waterproof and warm enough for me to only wear a shirt underneath in the coldest weather. The downside is that the outer layer absorbs water and takes 2 days to dry out completely. (I'm giving it a series of washes with nikwax to see if that gets is back to being acceptable).

the other slight issue for me is that Dainese seem to think that if you've got a fat arse and broad shoulders you must be 6'5" tall, when I'm actually 5'10"

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,782 in 2,376 posts

Quote Originally Posted by tafflade View Post
    The downside is that the outer layer absorbs water and takes 2 days to dry out completely. (I'm giving it a series of washes with nikwax to see if that gets is back to being acceptable).
    This is something that my HG kit is doing. It used to repel water really well, but despite a couple of Nikwax washes and treatments, plus copious spraying, it just wets out and takes an age to dry. In fairness, it'll do me another winter, but I suspect they won't sell off the good kit in the spring, so no point hanging on.

Liked 10,330 in 5,387 posts

Quote Originally Posted by tafflade View Post
    I've been using Dainese kit for the last 5 years or so. It still looks good and the only sign of wear is one of the jacket zips has lost it's tag thingy.

waterproof and warm enough for me to only wear a shirt underneath in the coldest weather. The downside is that the outer layer absorbs water and takes 2 days to dry out completely. (I'm giving it a series of washes with nikwax to see if that gets is back to being acceptable).

the other slight issue for me is that Dainese seem to think that if you've got a fat arse and broad shoulders you must be 6'5" tall, when I'm actually 5'10"
    Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    This is something that my HG kit is doing. It used to repel water really well, but despite a couple of Nikwax washes and treatments, plus copious spraying, it just wets out and takes an age to dry. In fairness, it'll do me another winter, but I suspect they won't sell off the good kit in the spring, so no point hanging on.
    For the sake of 4.99 I'm going to try this on my jacket. Nothing to lose really...

Fabsil Gold-universal protector
    This super-concentrated super-powerful solution is guaranteed to keep you dry. ... Easily applied, Fabsil Gold will last longer than other waterproofing treatment and offers unrivalled levels of water-repellency.

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Really Bored
    Liked 658 in 461 posts

It'd be interesting to see how you get on with the Fabsil spray. Do, please, report back.

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    For the sake of 4.99 I'm going to try this on my jacket. Nothing to lose really...

Fabsil Gold-universal protector
    This super-concentrated super-powerful solution is guaranteed to keep you dry. ... Easily applied, Fabsil Gold will last longer than other waterproofing treatment and offers unrivalled levels of water-repellency.

I've often wondered if that would work.
    Reports please.

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 210 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    I think you use the A2, is that right? I was travelling into London last night at about 7pm from Gillingham on the A2. It rained the whole way but from Gravesend to Kidbrooke the rain was properly biblical, inches of standing water on the road down to the M25 and then two lanes flooded just before Danson. My Rukka kit did wet out on the top, thin layer but I was completely dry (and warm). I got to Canary Wharf and dumped my kit into my panniers and went to meet the missus. 90 minutes later we're back at the bike and the Rukka kit was cold to the touch but dry.

Not a conclusive test by any means but the same weather would have had my Held waterproof textiles and Spidi H2Out jacket dripping water for days. FWIW, my gloves are Spidi H2Out and they were water logged (though, in fairness, my hands were dry). I have BMW hand guards on the bike but I'm not sure they were much cop last night.

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 210 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    I've often wondered if that would work.
    Reports please.
    I've just tried some on my Marmot PreCip jacket (similar to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marmot-Me...abbEtbPcoB-KvA).

Only used the treated jacket for 15 minutes in moderate rain so far and it worked well, the jacket didn't wet out. Easy to apply but do spray in a well ventilated area as it's quite unpleasant to inhale - similar to fly killer.
    Last edited by Beancounter; 18-10-19 at 13:09. Reason: Spelling and grammar

16. The following user liked this post made by Beancounter:

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

I've just tried some on my Marmot PreCip jacket (similar to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marmot-Me...abbEtbPcoB-KvA).

Only used the treated jacket for 15 minutes in moderate rain so far and it worked well, the jacket didn't wet out. Easy to apply but do use spray in a well vented area as it's quite unpleasant to inhale - similar to fly killer.

I wonder it if would work on denim.....

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 210 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    I wonder it if would work on denim.....
    Denim is quite absorbent so you'd need a lot. I was possibly a bit over-zealous in my spraying but one 500ml aerosol can liberally covered two waterproof jackets. I can imagine you need a single tin for denim. I can also imagine the jeans feeling quite awful and uncomfortable to wear afterwards but that's because I assume Fabsil limits breathability.

I've got some left in the can, I'll bring it next time we meet up and you can try it on a pair of jeans to see how it works and feels.

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

Denim is quite absorbent so you'd need a lot. I was possibly a bit over-zealous in my spraying but one 500ml aerosol can liberally covered two waterproof jackets. I can imagine you need a single tin for denim. I can also imagine the jeans feeling quite awful and uncomfortable to wear afterwards but that's because I assume Fabsil limits breathability.

I've got some left in the can, I'll bring it next time we meet up and you can try it on a pair of jeans to see how it works and feels.

I tried washing my Hoods in the nikwax Techwash, and then (IIRC) coating them with a Nikwax spray.

Did fuck all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission