TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Commuter thread: Gore-tex gear needs replacing. To Rukka or not to Rukka?

Liked 2,328 in 1,194 posts

Default Re: Commuter thread: Gore-tex gear needs replacing. To Rukka or not to Rukka?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I've got a full Rukka Gore-Tex suit and while it was eyewateringly expensive it is the dog's danglies. What attracted me to it is unlike many cheaper suits it's not GT lined, it is externally waterproof so you're not faced with a soggy jacket for days after a downpour. It has reinforcement with Kevlar bits where you could hit the road and has built-in body armour. It's very comfortable, though it has a few downsides: it's quite heavy, in hot weather it can get rather, well, hot, even with the zip vents open, also the armour smells a bit of rubber when it's new (though that is fading). I rode it round Europe this summer and was proper pleased, no leaks at all in several bouts of heavy rain.

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Tomcat:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 61 in 39 posts

Default Re: Commuter thread: Gore-tex gear needs replacing. To Rukka or not to Rukka?

Once you get to Rukka price levels, why not consider an airbag-equipped jacket?

The Dainese D-Air Carve Master 2 was launched as a £1100 jacket ... but looking online and eBay shows some for under £750. That's a helluva bargain for a Gore-Tex jacket with Dainese's 3rd generation airbag. (The latest generation Dainese airbag.) I tried on a Carve Master D-Air jacket in-store: it's beautifully built and comfortable. Now I just need the money ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    i was on Rukka but it leaked like mad on that trip after 8 years all year round use so i replaced it with Dainese Goretex jacket and trousers. Been waterproof but not as warm as the Rukka. Mine was trashed in last years crash but replaced it with another Carve Master 2 jacket and Trousers which has been good all round despite a few lengthy soakings in hours of riding.
    Since Rukka's no longer made in Finland, my money would be on a Carve Master D-Air jacket. I can't see a single reason to choose Rukka over Dainese's latest generation airbag jacket.

Like Bigyin, Iíve used Rukka and Dainese waterproof jackets and both were great. I preferred Dainese for comfort and durability. Also, my Rukka zips kept breaking. As long as itís Gore-Tex, Iíve found jackets are waterproof.

Liked 7,569 in 4,287 posts

Why does Zebedee keep deleting his post and then posting it again so it's always the newest on this thread?

He's done it three times?

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Why does Zebedee keep deleting his post and then posting it again so it's always the newest on this thread?

I thought something odd was going on

Liked 1,863 in 1,221 posts

Shares in Dainese

Liked 3,507 in 2,324 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee
    I thought something odd was going on
    Me too.

Liked 903 in 520 posts
    Blog Entries

I’ve gone down the Klim goretex route. It is totally waterproof but doesn’t come with a liner and it’s not warm at all, you will need a wind stopper fleece underneath and some thermal under trousers. They do seem to be built for the warmer climes.

9. The following user liked this post made by wheelnut:

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

If Rukka might not be as good as it used to be I'd look into BMW Streetguard. Two piece suits from £1250! The good shit is never cheap.

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
    I’ve gone down the Klim goretex route. It is totally waterproof but doesn’t come with a liner and it’s not warm at all, you will need a wind stopper fleece underneath and some thermal under trousers. They do seem to be built for the warmer climes.

Useful to know - cheers.

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    If Rukka might not be as good as it used to be I'd look into BMW Streetguard. Two piece suits from £1250! The good shit is never cheap.

I'm currently on my 4th jacket in (iirc) about 3 months.

The jacket itself is fine (if a bit stiff and there's something wrong with BMW's sizing*), but the outer pockets on the last 3 would let in so much water it was like putting your hand in an otter's pocket. The current one 'seems' to be ok (finally!)

I only ended up with it because I bought one of last years off the sales rack for £400 (instead of £650), and they couldn't find a 2018 to replace it with in the first instance - so I ended up with this years version (worth £699) and they've kept giving me direct replacements of that!

I may end up with the trousers too, if I can find any on the sales rack!

The laminate outer layer really does work.

* I fit a size 46. There's no way in hell I'm BMW's smallest customer, they don't do anything smaller than a 46.

Liked 4,037 in 2,021 posts

I concur, harking back to our Scandinavian trip whenever we were about to climb up over mountains and colder temps Abel would always stop to put on a thermal layer as the jacket wasnt the warmest but good for keeping dry

14. The following user liked this post made by Bigyin:

Liked 1,537 in 890 posts

If you get caught in a downpour, do they hold onto a lot of water and are still damp 8 hours later?

Liked 903 in 520 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    If you get caught in a downpour, do they hold onto a lot of water and are still damp 8 hours later?
    No, they don’t hold water at all and dry out pretty quickly. I also tend to get my stuff from https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Motorcycle - you can get some good deals if you time it right.

17. The following user liked this post made by wheelnut:

Liked 903 in 520 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    I concur, harking back to our Scandinavian trip whenever we were about to climb up over mountains and colder temps Abel would always stop to put on a thermal layer as the jacket wasnt the warmest but good for keeping dry
    Yeah, I wear a soft shell fleece under mine. I normally wear hood jeans for commuting, and wear the Klim trousers in the summer only for touring.

Liked 3,507 in 2,324 posts

No, they don’t hold water at all and dry out pretty quickly. I also tend to get my stuff from https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Motorcycle - you can get some good deals if you time it right.
    Dated 2017, Motolegends said:

And finally, don't forget our 10% Price Beat Guarantee. If anybody in the UK offers any Rukka item cheaper than us, we'll beat that price by a full 10%. If the seller is in the EU, we'll match the price.

20. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission