TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Scrottage bidders on eBay

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Default Scrottage bidders on eBay

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Two types:

The first see a high value item being auctioned with a 99p start. And they think 'I'll have me a Ferrari for 99p!'. So with 6 days and 23 hours to go they bid 99p. The Ferrari ineviatbly sells for near it's market value, not 99p and the scrottage bidder goes off to presumably look for another one for 99p. Maybe they eventually manage to scrottage a Ferrari for 99p but I doubt it.

Also the ones who bid upwards repeatedly in very small increments to narrowly beat another bidder. Just bid what you want to pay; ideally right at the end of the auction.

Liked 1,397 in 992 posts

Default Re: Scrottage bidders on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    Two types:

The first see a high value item being auctioned with a 99p start. And they think 'I'll have me a Ferrari for 99p!'. So with 6 days and 23 hours to go they bid 99p. The Ferrari ineviatbly sells for near it's market value, not 99p and the scrottage bidder goes off to presumably look for another one for 99p. Maybe they eventually manage to scrottage a Ferrari for 99p but I doubt it.

Also the ones who bid upwards repeatedly in very small increments to narrowly beat another bidder. Just bid what you want to pay; ideally right at the end of the auction.
    The best ones are the ones who outbid me, then the bid is retracted later.

Hmmmmm.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 63 in 49 posts

Probably the toxic elderly again ! After all you blame them for everything else ?

Really Bored
    Liked 1,755 in 980 posts

Surely narrowly beating the other bidders is the entire point of an auction.

Only a retard would want to beat the others by a large margin.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post

The scrottage bidding doesn't achieve the former. If anything it pushes the price up. At least when done mid auction.

Liked 1,397 in 992 posts

You can't beat the others by a large margin, it's an auction. Your bids are only incremental bids.

Only a retard wouldn't be able to see that.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Quote Originally Posted by treadeager View Post
    Probably the toxic elderly again ! After all you blame them for everything else ?
    I think you're on to something here!

Hello Switzerland?

Really Bored
    Liked 1,755 in 980 posts

The scrottage bidding doesn't achieve the former. If anything it pushes the price up. At least when done mid auction.
    Not necessarily - there are many tactics to auctions. If you ever go to real ones not just online ones, you can see this in action.

A couple of small bid mid auction can gauge interest. As you find out if others have auto bids set.

But ho hum.

Liked 4,177 in 2,054 posts
    Blog Entries

Have you just made the word 'scrottage' up?

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Have you just made the word 'scrottage' up?
    Yes. I'm quite pleased with it.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

Not necessarily - there are many tactics to auctions. If you ever go to real ones not just online ones, you can see this in action.

A couple of small bid mid auction can gauge interest. As you find out if others have auto bids set.

But ho hum.
    TBH I hadn't thought of that. My reasoning was that mid auction bids push up people's expectations of the final price. I see the sense in your strategy also.

Really Bored
    Liked 1,755 in 980 posts

TBH I hadn't thought of that. My reasoning was that mid auction bids push up people's expectations of the final price. I see the sense in your strategy also.
    That’s why they are small bids, sometimes a day or so apart.

Liked 1,631 in 842 posts

Ebay doesn't work like an auction house. If you see an item at 99p then feel free to bid £1m on it. Assuming the lowest next bid is £1 when the auction ends then your bid will register as £1.01. If you did happen to win the item for £1m then you can always decline to pay, this gives the seller the option to offer the item to the next highest bidder.

It's one of the plus points of Ebay. You see something you need/want just bid the maximum you're prepared to pay then ignore the auction. The software will only up the bid by a certain amount each time. There's been plenty of times where I've put a bid on something and the price has notched up by £1 as soon as the page has refreshed. It's not a rival bidder sitting there upping the price, it's automated.

Really Bored
    Liked 1,755 in 980 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    Ebay doesn't work like an auction house. If you see an item at 99p then feel free to bid £1m on it. Assuming the lowest next bid is £1 when the auction ends then your bid will register as £1.01. If you did happen to win the item for £1m then you can always decline to pay, this gives the seller the option to offer the item to the next highest bidder.

It's one of the plus points of Ebay. You see something you need/want just bid the maximum you're prepared to pay then ignore the auction. The software will only up the bid by a certain amount each time. There's been plenty of times where I've put a bid on something and the price has notched up by £1 as soon as the page has refreshed. It's not a rival bidder sitting there upping the price, it's automated.
    Not strictly true, but yes I know how eBay works - but it doesn’t go up in 1p increments.

As explained already - mid auction test bids can tell whether someone has auto bidding set...

This can help your tactics at the end of the auction. Sniping software can be great, but it can also miss. There is no “delay” function natively in eBay.

HTH

Liked 1,631 in 842 posts

Not strictly true, but yes I know how eBay works - but it doesn’t go up in 1p increments.
    Your right, just looked on Ebay help and it depends on the value range.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/b...idding?id=4014

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission