TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: old cars.....money pits or cheap wheels

Liked 2,785 in 1,662 posts

Default Re: old cars.....money pits or cheap wheels

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I just picked up my beater car from where I left it at the airport for 2 weeks, having driven a brand new hire car the other side. On opening the door it genuinely crossed my mind that it looked and smelt like homeless had been camping out in it. (The e115 parking fee that's more than the car is worth hurt too).

That said, it started first time and there was no chance any fucker was going to pinch it.

Liked 2,756 in 1,492 posts
    Blog Entries

My dear old dad picked up mid 90s Toyota rav 4 about 10 years ago for hundreds, not sure how much, but it just passed another not with nothing wrong!
    he welded a few bits up, and stuck some new pads in this year.
    He reckons ten years of motoring has cost him well under 2000, all in!

whats not to like about that?

Should Get Out More The Martian's Avatar
    Liked 3,769 in 2,174 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    As a yoof i has a 1.6GL, then a 2.0S and then a 2.8i ........ loved them

Another car i liked 30 years ago but i preferred the Capri as it was RWD ... my mate had a Manta with a plate that started CRO which he thought funny given his driving record
    The Manta was RWD

4. The following user liked this post made by The Martian:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,721 in 2,276 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Always fancied a manta myself, still not scratched that itch.
    I had two of them, both 1.9 Coupes, good cars, much better than a 2.0 Capri, my first one was made in Belgian and had done 140,000 miles when I got it, the automatic gearbox gave up on the A12 at Chelmsford, so I bought another one, this one was made in Germany with a manual gearbox, I think I had it for 10 years before I got bored of it, not bad for a 500 car, from memory in that time it had a bit of welding on one sill and a new exhaust back box (that cost about 25)

Quote Originally Posted by The Martian View Post
    The Manta was RWD
    Was it ever, lovely handling car, really predictable tail out driving.

Manta's are just the Ascona B (Mk1 Cavalier) in a fancy suit.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Really Bored
    Liked 836 in 612 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    My first car. If i had 2k to throw away and the skills i would have this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Datsun-12....c100667.m2042
    I had a blue one...x reg i think. It hadspat its motor out at 50k....i rebuilded it and did the same mileage agaun. Proper little cracker...but that one is too rusty.

Liked 302 in 204 posts

i had a pug 405 estate td which i bought for 300. don't know if i had any work done on it aside from servicing and it did close to 250k before the chassis started to rot.

bought this https://www.google.com/maps/@51.1728...7i13312!8i6656 for 800 back in 2010. Did me a good few years driving in london and then moved me up north. didn't need any work doing that i can remember but by the end i'd have to hotwire it as the ignition had gone and the door lock mech shattered. actually cried when i scrapped it.

replaced that with a berlingo 1.9d. tough as arseholes, builder's rack on the roof. love it.

i dunno, it's like the whole mobile phones thing, once you break out of the cycle of having to have a new one it's hard to justify the expense. last newish car i had was a 3yr old 307 that was absolute garbage.

Liked 4,114 in 2,059 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Martian View Post
    The Manta was RWD
    I never drove it as i assumed it was just a Cavalier in a posh frock which i thought was FWD....every day is a school day

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,274 in 2,460 posts
    Blog Entries

I've had some good one and not so good, none so bad they didn't pass at least once subsequent mot test.

Notable ones were the ex taxi Volvo 245 with 300,000+ on the clock. Sadly I drowned that one, but it needed a steering rack to pass the next MOT. The 2.3 auto Carlton estate was fun, especially in the snow as it was amusing uncontrollable.

Liked 10,540 in 5,511 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    My first car. If i had 2k to throw away and the skills i would have this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Datsun-12....c100667.m2042
    I had one of those when I was in the motor trade. Lots of people had such cars. They were known as "the leaver". You'd take it anywhere to pick a car up or to a pub if you were going on the lash and just leave it there and never give a fook if it was there when yo went back for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Always fancied a manta myself, still not scratched that itch.
    We had a 1984 1.8s I think it was. Some sort of motor sport, rally set up on it. Now bear in mind I hated vauxhalls back then but this thing was a real hoot. It had a nice balance and you could hang the arse
    end out easily and it was very predictable when drifting off of roundabouts, especially compared to a Capri! That said the Mk1 3 litre Capri I had was fooking aces. Loved that car. The later 2.8i capris were fun too, especially the Tickford one I went in. Happy days and not a speed camera in sight!

One of these types...

Last edited by Taipan; 25-10-19 at 11:24.

13. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 4,198 in 2,059 posts
    Blog Entries

The guy who bought my old Peugeot 405 GTDT got a bargain. I'd got it new in 1988, Tax free , kept it 16 years, put 216k miles on the clock and pretty much gave it away. It had the 1800 turbo diesel engine, they changed to the 1900 engine in 1989 iirc but that engine was excellent. After 16 years it still breezed through emissions checks and would take me to Germany 4 times a year cruising all day (where I could) around 80 mph. It never missed a beat. The body was galvanised and when I sold it there were just 2 tiny rust spots appearing, the chassis was sound. We came here a couple of years later and I wish I'd never sold it when I did. It would have seen out the next 2 or 3 years easily but the wife said she wanted a change . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    I never drove it as i assumed it was just a Cavalier in a posh frock which i thought was FWD....every day is a school day
    Mantas are a Mk1 Cavalier in fancy clothes, Mk1 Cavaliers are rwd, Mk2s are FWD.
    The Manta continued being made until about 1988, long after the RWD Cavalier had been replaced with the FWD version.

Ascona B https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-ASCO...MAAOSwny1di4fU
    Mk 1 Cavalier https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-VAUX...QAAOSw-qNdra-t
    Mk 2 Cavalier https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-VAUX...AAAOSwgZtdrCON
    Early Manta B like I had (though mine never had the silly aftermarket spoiler) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-S-Re...gAAOSwu1Fdqx8f
    Late Manta B https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-Opel...4AAOSw8q9dsrmY
    Manta A https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Opel...0AAOSw6PpdmHcu

Liked 3,475 in 1,808 posts

I think the tricks to bangernomics are:-

Having diagnostic kit - basic code readers can be had for 20
    Having some mechanical knowledge and ability
    Not getting too attached to the car and knowing when to weigh it in and buy a new one

17. The following 5 users liked this useful post by balbas:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,274 in 2,460 posts
    Blog Entries

Another one is to buy a popular car, preferably one that doesn't have an undesirable reputation.

My last bangernomic car was a Renault 9 or 11 diesel. Even with 6 moths MOT still to run the scrappy crushed it rather than put it out with his other bangers, mostly Fords and Vauxhalls. He reckoned that nobody would want it nor any bits so it went straight to the crusher. IIRC it's steering was bad enough that it would pass another mot test and to repair it was way more than it was worth. The engine still ran beautifully. I bought it from a bloke who only had one ear.

The handbrake was iffy on one side, you could pull it on at speed and leave huge long one wheel skid marks. My spawn also liked climbing in and out of the sunroof rather than use the doors.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,023 in 604 posts

Still running my parents old 99 Corsa... they bought it new, had it serviced regularly, and when I inherited it in 2007 it only had 40k on the clock. It's still only got about 70k on it now. I've moved back to London and it's parked on the street and in five years it's been hit on every corner (and I hit the fold-up step of a delivery truck that had been left folded down)... someone has dropped something on the front wing... there are shopping market trolley dents on all four doors... and just the other day someone decided it would be fun to sit or stand on the roof - I came out to find a big dent on the top, which I just pushed out again from inside.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission