TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2020 TD Noise Limits - UK

Liked 100 in 82 posts

Default Re: 2020 TD Noise Limits - UK

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My old track GSX-R 750 K6 would fail on the stock exhaust, was quieter (as in Brands GP quiet) on an aftermarket Yoshi with decat and no baffle.

Liked 1,587 in 701 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Having trackside noise testing (like Castle Coombe) negates this, with static testing it would be difficult (but not impossible) to prevent people removing baffles, but stopping people having different maps is easy, ban all bikes manufactured after 2000
    You would think so, but I don't think that Donington enforce it- I did two "quiet" days there this year, both times in the briefing they quite heavily stressed the noise restrictions ,and rules, but on both occasions there were a few bikes that were ridiculously loud , kept expecting them to be pulled, but no they managed to stay out all day.

At Cadwell last month, where I think the limit is generally 102 static, the 790 with Wings can and baffle in was 95Db, H2 with the Akra can with baffle out (and 235 rwhp ) 94 Db
    For comparison, my trusty old ZX10 with full Akra evo titanium system used to measure 100/101Db on Cadwell's testers with a Db killer in

As for banning all bikes made after 2000 , I wouldn't be a fan of that , but I do think minimum standard of cleanliness, and un-shonki-ness standards should be enforced - turn up with a dirty/ rusty oily or knackered old shitter, you're not going out!

(I know your comment was tongue in check, but mine isn't- seriously, I do )

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,685 in 2,250 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    You would think so, but I don't think that Donington enforce it- I did two "quiet" days there this year, both times in the briefing they quite heavily stressed the noise restrictions ,and rules, but on both occasions there were a few bikes that were ridiculously loud , kept expecting them to be pulled, but no they managed to stay out all day.

At Cadwell last month, where I think the limit is generally 102 static, the 790 with Wings can and baffle in was 95Db, H2 with the Akra can with baffle out (and 235 rwhp ) 94 Db
    For comparison, my trusty old ZX10 with full Akra evo titanium system used to measure 100/101Db on Cadwell's testers with a Db killer in

As for banning all bikes made after 2000 , I wouldn't be a fan of that , but I do think minimum standard of cleanliness, and un-shonki-ness standards should be enforced - turn up with a dirty/ rusty oily or knackered old shitter, you're not going out!

(I know your comment was tongue in check, but mine isn't- seriously, I do )
    I think Cadwell is 105, I've done 2 x 2days there this year, every day I got a different noise reading, and I think both times it was quieter than the day before.
    I don't care about how clean a bike is (though it is an indication of how well it is looked after), but I do think bikes should have to pass the same scrutineering process that they would have to race, probably being scrutineered again at lunchtime before going out in the afternoon session, obviously this would make quite a big difference to the cost of trackdays as scrutineers would have to be employed.

Liked 6,166 in 3,875 posts
    Blog Entries

I think Cadwell is 105, I've done 2 x 2days there this year, every day I got a different noise reading, and I think both times it was quieter than the day before.
    I don't care about how clean a bike is (though it is an indication of how well it is looked after), but I do think bikes should have to pass the same scrutineering process that they would have to race, probably being scrutineered again at lunchtime before going out in the afternoon session, obviously this would make quite a big difference to the cost of trackdays as scrutineers would have to be employed.
    If they properly scrutineer bikes, they could be liable in a big crash caused by bike failure. That's why they don't do it.

Liked 1,587 in 701 posts

Ixion are the only bunch I'm aware of that still scrutineer, they always have done and still do at their annual cadwell 2-dayer.
    You have to get your bike(s), and your kit (leathers, helmet, gloves and boots ) scruted and stickered or you're not allowed out , and it does have value IMO- it's possibly more relevant with Ixion as a fair number of the riders aren't regular TDers and it might be their only TD of the year, but every year a number get bounced for rectification of things , typically wafer-thin brake pads, oil leaks, baggy chains, loose leversor missing fasteners etc .

As for why TDOs don't generally do it, well , the argumentative Yorkshireman is right on this one I think in that it's not really a cost thing (as they'd just pass it on to the punter), but for insurance / liability reasons.

My mate sometimes does the Ixion Cadwell thing, he fell out with one scrutineer who didn't get that a 1982 air cooled race engine might smell a little oily when it's hot.

We were at Cadwell this year on the weekend after their two day bash and they're a weird bunch in the bar on a Friday night.

7. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 1,587 in 701 posts

My mate sometimes does the Ixion Cadwell thing, he fell out with one scrutineer who didn't get that a 1982 air cooled race engine might smell a little oily when it's hot.

We were at Cadwell this year on the weekend after their two day bash and they're a weird bunch in the bar on a Friday night.
    I'm genuinely surprised at that as a fair few " Ixies" (yeah nerdy eh ) including the Scrutes have bikes that make 1982 sound very recent- all the scrutes there that I know are ex-racers too

And yeah, I know- I was there this year, didn't stay for the friday night clubhouse dinner, but yeah, know what you're saying there's a few umm characters amongst the hardcore regulars, most of them are really ancient nowadays, but all decent sorts, its always a brilliant couple of days, both on and off track whatever the weather, different than any other TD I ever do- closest to it is the annual TRC Pembrey bash

Liked 7,546 in 4,273 posts

My first trackday was with Ixion at Cadwell on my FZR400RR... so must have been around 1998ish.

I wasn't part of the mailing list, but a mate was and filled me in. 50 was cheap, even back then. Had to share a track with a lot of bikes that you wouldn't see on a typical trackday

Liked 283 in 154 posts
    Blog Entries

Easier to burn down all the new housing estates built near circuits in the last 10 years*.

No more noise complaints

Liked 6,166 in 3,875 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    Easier to burn down all the new housing estates built near circuits in the last 10 years*.

No more noise complaints
    At Brands, there are houses who's garden fence borders the circuit.

Liked 2,833 in 2,028 posts

We have East Fortune race track over the back. They have the odd bit bike racing but AFAIK still dont do track days what is odd as they have the odd car event. Think the track day ban was due to having a hospital less than a mile away and when that closes a couple of small hamlets got renovated what are closer to the track than the hospital was.

We've got a quarter mile shale/concrete oval about a mile from us, Speedway is alright but Stock Cars are bloody annoying, and when they used they used to race NASCAR type cars on it the windows in our house vibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised at that as a fair few " Ixies" (yeah nerdy eh ) including the Scrutes have bikes that make 1982 sound very recent- all the scrutes there that I know are ex-racers too

And yeah, I know- I was there this year, didn't stay for the friday night clubhouse dinner, but yeah, know what you're saying there's a few umm characters amongst the hardcore regulars, most of them are really ancient nowadays, but all decent sorts, its always a brilliant couple of days, both on and off track whatever the weather, different than any other TD I ever do- closest to it is the annual TRC Pembrey bash
    Should've stayed for the Friday night, you could've met me and the Hog Roast was good, amazing value for money.

15. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 1,587 in 701 posts

Should've stayed for the Friday night, you could've met me and the Hog Roast was good, amazing value for money.
    Yeah would have loved to have stayed for the whole weekend as there definitely were some interesting bikes there, and a good few PBers too, that I would have liked to have seen , was a busy week one way and another that one for me , was at Cadwell from the Weds and had to be somewhere 200 miles south Saturday morning

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission