TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - AJS Advise

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Help - AJS Advise

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    A bloke at work had one of the 125 cruiser style AJS'. He only used it to commute, 15 miles of dual carriageway each way, so pretty much flat out all the time. It was kept clean and polished but he ignored the oily bits.

He did about 25000 miles in 4 years and I don't recall it ever letting him down except when the chain kept slipping the rear sprocket because the teeth were that worn. Exhausts rusted through and had patches welded on and it used to blow rear bulbs regularly but otherwise it was pretty reliable. He still has it in his garage because it's worth nothing, even the local scrotes won't pinch it.
    Yeah the one Iíve got my eye on is a cruiser style. Thanks for your reply, this would be my first bike (late to the party at 35!) so I would look to have it for a few years.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    Adams other half has a little AJS 125 she is using till she gets her bigger bike license. So far no real issues that i am aware of but will ask and see if he has any info
    Yeah thatís exactly my plan too. Any info would be great, thank you!

Really Bored
    Liked 830 in 606 posts

As I was trying to say in my earlier post, as long as you do a bit of maintenance you should be fine

4. The following user liked this post made by davidat19:

Liked 1,215 in 569 posts
    Blog Entries

I think the AJS is as good as any of the other Chinese/Korean/Taiwanese bikes out there. In my experience the engines are pretty good, but the quality of fasteners, chrome and paint can be a bit poor. If you look after it well - like swamping it in ACF 50 for the winter, washing off salt, and keeping the chain lubricated, and following the schedule for oil and filter changes, if should last a fair few years.

If it were me, I'd buy a good second hand Honda 125, as it's ultimately a better finished product. But I understand the allure of a new bike, and if you go with all the advice in this thread, you'll be good.

6. The following user liked this post made by Trogladyte:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trogladyte View Post
    I think the AJS is as good as any of the other Chinese/Korean/Taiwanese bikes out there. In my experience the engines are pretty good, but the quality of fasteners, chrome and paint can be a bit poor. If you look after it well - like swamping it in ACF 50 for the winter, washing off salt, and keeping the chain lubricated, and following the schedule for oil and filter changes, if should last a fair few years.

If it were me, I'd buy a good second hand Honda 125, as it's ultimately a better finished product. But I understand the allure of a new bike, and if you go with all the advice in this thread, you'll be good.
    Thanks for your reply Yes that is exactly it, I want a new bike and I'm not a fan of sports style bikes. All new bikes that are a 125 Cruiser style all seem to be Chinese!

Everyone's advice has been great, I am reasonably mechanically minded as far as cars go, this would be my first bike but I'm sure I can learn pretty fast, my husband used to have bikes as well so he will be able to give me pointers too haha!

Liked 944 in 529 posts

£2400 new. Get anice 16-17 plate Yamaha YBR 125 for that

Liked 1,127 in 737 posts

They did a ybr custom too, for them as like that style of bike.

Which ajs has taken your fancy? Maybe we could suggest alternatives for you.

10. The following user liked this post made by a_morti:

Liked 1,127 in 737 posts

If'n it's this:
    https://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/highwaystar-125

Did you notice it's 164kg dry? That's about the same as a 300 rebel but you get 11hp to push it all along instead of 28.

Liked 1,127 in 737 posts

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323944000919

This will be a better bike in every way. Also if you treat it nicely it'll be worth about the same in a year or two when you want to scale up as it is now.

Not so the ajs, which at £3k new won't be worth over £1500 in 3 years.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    If'n it's this:

Did you notice it's 164kg dry? That's about the same as a 300 rebel but you get 11hp to push it all along instead of 28.
    It is this one. I Love it. :/

Really Bored
    Liked 830 in 606 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    If'n it's this:
    https://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/highwaystar-125

Grief, thats podgy...my le is only 120 and the viceroy about 130...i thought they were heavy....
    Last edited by davidat19; 04-11-19 at 19:14.

15. The following user liked this post made by davidat19:

Liked 1,127 in 737 posts

The shadow gets 15hp (some 20% more) and weighs 20kg less. It'll be notably nippier.

And for me it even looks better due to the V twin engine, which will also sound nicer.

Plus if a 10 year old one is at £2k, a 12 year old one will still be over £1.5k.

That's what I'd choose.

17. The following user liked this post made by a_morti:

Liked 944 in 529 posts

There is an old saying "do not be blinded by the bling" yes it is shines but it is new and after one winter it wont be so shiney. I would look for some Japanese models for comparison.
    If you are prepared to shell out £2500 on a piece of Chinese metal worth looking at what you can get for that on Japanese model.
    Yamaha YBR custom
    Kawasaki Eliminater
    Suzuki Intruder
    Honda Shadow. All with the custom look you desire to name but a few. More bang for your buck and plenty of low mileage examples around as people buy them do there test and move on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission