TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2019

At Work
    Liked 539 in 351 posts

Default Re: Election 2019

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    Openreach are already using the gig economy to get around minimum wage, the NHS won't be able to get anyone to train as nurses as nobody will see the point when they are paid the same as carers.
    So the thousands of vacancies in the care sector will get filled and carers wll get decent rates of pay, don't see a problem with that.

At Work
    Liked 539 in 351 posts

Ratty in Brexit thread: low earners are hardest hit by immigration, when we leave the EU business will have to pay decent wages to fill the vacancies and we'll all live happily ever after
    Ratty in Election thread: business will have to pay decent wages to the low earners, it's going to be a fucking disaster

At Work
    Liked 539 in 351 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    You're not getting it are you.

If someone wants to have pissed around at school, that's the job they get.

People aren't going to pay £20 for a big mac to subsidise the minimum wage, the lower end of the market will just collapse.

People want cheap goods, quick snacks and Mc Donalds, Gregs ect, a few quid here and there at Screwfix, Wickes etc, oil filter at your local bike shop, wiper blades at Halfords or Eurocarparts, then everything has to align.

Sure, raise the minimum wage, but be prepared for your goods to either become much more expensive, or cease to exist at all.
    And yet countries like Belgium are quite capable of paying a decent min wage while keeping the cost of a Big Mac about the same as the UK. How odd
    People want cheap...tough shit. Why should others be left relying on the state just because you don't want to pay a few extra pennies for your Greggs pasty? You're already paying a few extra pennies to support their in-work benefits. Besides, think of the benefits to the NHS once all those fatties give up their Big Macs and Greggs pasties
    Just be honest, you're worried that if the 'underclass' starts earning more, they'll close the gap with you and you'll lose some of the imaginary social status you've managed to create.

Really Bored
    Liked 1,784 in 997 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    Ratty in Brexit thread: low earners are hardest hit by immigration, when we leave the EU business will have to pay decent wages to fill the vacancies and we'll all live happily ever after
    Ratty in Election thread: business will have to pay decent wages to the low earners, it's going to be a fucking disaster
    I know its hard for you to grasp as you're a bit simple.

• Natural supply and demand increases work - they are not overnight increases and the market adjusts over time to accommodate
    • Corbyn's forced overnight hike of wages will be a disaster for many small businesses who can't flex or absorb the cost fast enough. These guys will go bust, making their poorly paid staff unemployed. How does that help them exactly?
    • Bigger companies that can absorb it short term, will contract staff numbers, install more automation (like they need much excuse anyway) or simply...
    • Offshore the work

Add this to his 4 day week promise... so 20% less work time, for 20% more money....Meanwhile... these instant hikes will add to inflation, which will require a higher min wage... which will drive inflation more etc etc etc

It's OK in labour world.....everything is free.

At Work
    Liked 539 in 351 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    I know its hard for you to grasp as you're a bit simple.

• Natural supply and demand increases work - they are not overnight increases and the market adjusts over time to accommodate
    • Corbyn's forced overnight hike of wages will be a disaster for many small businesses who can't flex or absorb the cost fast enough. These guys will go bust, making their poorly paid staff unemployed. How does that help them exactly?
    • Bigger companies that can absorb it short term, will contract staff numbers, install more automation (like they need much excuse anyway) or simply...
    • Offshore the work

Add this to his 4 day week promise... so 20% less work time, for 20% more money....Meanwhile... these instant hikes will add to inflation, which will require a higher min wage... which will drive inflation more etc etc etc

It's OK in labour world.....everything is free.
    Min wage in the UK has doubled since 2000, how's the current unemployment rate? As for the 4 day week, that is linked to increased productivity, something analysts agree needs to happen where min wage increases are concerned. I've yet to see anything from the Tory's with reagrds to increasing productivity, other than the wage hike.
    Having said that, although I do think min wage needs to rise I prefer the Tory's method of doing it gradually, and agree that the sharp rise that Labour seem to have in mind is going to be hard on small business unless they receive some sort of support or relief. It might be a vote winner with low earners but once you've upped it by such a large step there's no turning back if it all goes tits up.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,458 in 893 posts

My 17yo is working for this year to get some money together for Uni.
    He's on the min wage of £4.35 at the moment*, but is ok with that as the people are decent and they offer some training.
    If, as Labour propose, they would be required to pay £10 I doubt they'd employ him. If they were able to employ someone doing his work they'd employ someone more 'deserving' than him of £10 an hour but more likely I think they'd struggle to stay in business.

* he's more likely to get £8 or so once he has gained some more skills and confidence.

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

Corbyn says, we will have a second referendum and abide by the people's decision?!?!? FFS we've already had a referendum and he's not abiding by it, so how can anyone trust him! I said i'd never vote Tory again after what T May did to public services, but no way could I vote for Corbyn, especially after that display tonight. Looks like Jezza just gifted my vote to the Tories. Why on earth has Labour not changed its leadership!

Liked 2,525 in 1,396 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    [*]Corbyn's forced overnight hike of wages will be a disaster for many small businesses who can't flex or absorb the cost fast enough. These guys will go bust, making their poorly paid staff unemployed. How does that help them exactly?
    Both parties are promising similar things and both have caused raised eyebrows at the IFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I said i'd never vote Tory again after what T May did to public services, but no way could I vote for Corbyn, especially after that display tonight. Looks like Jezza just gifted my vote to the Tories.
    Seems they fit you, because they're a bunch of billy bullshitters as well.

There appear to be other options, in most areas. It wasn't just May, it was Cameron and Osborne as well. They became a little less shitty with it when May was PM and Hammond was Chancellor.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,906 in 3,074 posts

Increase in living / minimum wage + free fibre broadband, fuck it I may as well Jack in my stressful job, never read an autopsy report or watch surgery videos again, cut 9ut all commuting and flip burgers instead.

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by mrlongbeard:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,014 in 2,045 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Increase in living / minimum wage + free fibre broadband, fuck it I may as well Jack in my stressful job, never read an autopsy report or watch surgery videos again, cut 9ut all commuting and flip burgers instead.
    And if flipping burgers doesn't give you enough dosh, Working Tax Credits and Housing Benefit will help. Be careful though, flipping burgers every day could give you RSI, and you might need to claim Personal Independence Payment too. Good job you have that free broadband or you might get bored and your mental health could suffer.

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

Quote Originally Posted by NyseriA View Post
    Seems they fit you, because they're a bunch of billy bullshitters as well.

There appear to be other options, in most areas. It wasn't just May, it was Cameron and Osborne as well. They became a little less shitty with it when May was PM and Hammond was Chancellor.
    Oh. c'mon. If May had personally sacked me and I'd sworn to spend my life canvassing against the tories because of it, i'd have changed my mind after tonight. Corbyn was even squirming at his 4 day week bollocks! He flatly denied, again, to answer on how he'd campaign about his own brexit plans. I think i was actually embarrassed by/for him tonight. BoJo might have been bad, I wouldn't know, as I was reeling at Corbyn every time he spoke.

What a shower of shit this election is...

I don't have any particularly affinity to Corbyn, but nobody came out of the debate tonight as a winner; Corbyn lacks leadership and Johnson just regurgitates soundbites and tries to bumble into people's "awww, he ain't that bad!" books. They're both shit and the UK deserves better.

Or does it...

Really Bored
    Liked 1,784 in 997 posts

Quote Originally Posted by NyseriA View Post
    I don't have any particularly affinity to Corbyn, but nobody came out of the debate tonight as a winner; Corbyn lacks leadership and Johnson just regurgitates soundbites and tries to bumble into people's "awww, he ain't that bad!" books. They're both shit and the UK deserves better.

Or does it...
    Didnít even bother to watch it - but yes, the U.K. does deserve better. However our search for perfect squeaky clean people, rather than people good at business or negotiating etc seems to be a part of the issue.

The British media have a lot to answer for as well, imho.

Very much so.

Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission