TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 13 of 81 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2019

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

Default Re: Election 2019

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Quite why in the age of communication we need to spend 22b on high speed travel is beyond me. That money would be better going to the NHS. You can put that on the side of a bus!
    £22 billion extra, the final cost could be as high as £88 billion. Whether it will actually bring prosperity to the north, or is just a vanity project remains to be seen. If the Manchester phase is canned, neither will have been achieved.

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    Read the pdf and it’s all referenced....
    I did read it. The Tories have taken the 2017 Labour manifesto, added what they believe will be in the 2019 manifesto and put their own costs to it, which include £385billion of day-to-day spending.

Labour hasn’t published its 2019 manifesto yet, so nobody knows. This is largely based on Labour’s previous policy announcements. Many of the figures behind this estimate are uncertain or based on flawed assumptions.
    https://fullfact.org/news/conservati...ur-1-trillion/

Funny how you're forever shouting about how politicians can't be trusted, yet happy to believe and regurgitate when it suits you
    Last edited by Hoonercat; 16-11-19 at 12:21. Reason: sp

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

Perhaps you should join corbyns twitter feed and see how many of the items that full fact say have been dropped - yet Corbyn is still crowing they will be done.

The figures won’t be 100% accurate - what government figures are, on the flip side, show me your list of projects previous governments have costed and published that have then come in on time and under/in budget.

I have never said the figures are gospel - but going on Corbyns constant promises - if anything they may well be light.

Nice that you trust a Labour government with the purse strings, history says you’re misguided at best.

Feel free to point out where I've said I trust a Labour govt with the purse strings. No, didn't think so.

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Quite why in the age of communication we need to spend 22b on high speed travel is beyond me. That money would be better going to the NHS. You can put that on the side of a bus!
    Far better to spend it on providing real fibre optic to the home for everyone so the UK can join this 'age of communication'
    Last year I was living 22 miles outside London, 2 miles from a large town, and could only get 11mbps - apparantly because I lived in a semi-rural location. I had the chance to work from home but obviously that couldn't happen due to the poor broadband infrastructure.
    My house in Bulgaria, the poorest nation in the EU, is 70km from the very edge of Europe, a sleepy village surrounded by miles of open plains and hills, as rural as you can get. Yet I get fibre to the home and speeds of almost 100mbps, with the option of 200mbps if I want it. The train service is shit though

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,733 in 2,737 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    Far better to spend it on providing real fibre optic to the home for everyone so the UK can join this 'age of communication'
    Last year I was living 22 miles outside London, 2 miles from a large town, and could only get 11mbps - apparantly because I lived in a semi-rural location. I had the chance to work from home but obviously that couldn't happen due to the poor broadband infrastructure.
    My house in Bulgaria, the poorest nation in the EU, is 70km from the very edge of Europe, a sleepy village surrounded by miles of open plains and hills, as rural as you can get. Yet I get fibre to the home and speeds of almost 100mbps, with the option of 200mbps if I want it. The train service is shit though

What did only getting 11mbps stop you doing? Genuine Q, I've gone from 2mbps with a community owned supplier (and capped at 25gb per month) to some around 40mpbs, (uncapped) with a national supplier. The only real change I've noticed is slightly faster downloads, not 20 times faster. the uncapped part has been more useful.

6. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

Liked 3,090 in 2,216 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    What did only getting 11mbps stop you doing? Genuine Q, I've gone from 2mbps with a community owned supplier (and capped at 25gb per month) to some around 40mpbs, (uncapped) with a national supplier. The only real change I've noticed is slightly faster downloads, not 20 times faster. the uncapped part has been more useful.
    Quite.

... download speed recommendations from modem manufacturer NetGear:

• 5Mbps or less: Basic web surfing and email
    • 5-10Mbps: Web surfing, email, occasional streaming and online gaming with few connected devices
    • 10-25Mbps: Moderate HD streaming, online gaming and downloading with a moderate number of connected devices
    • 25-40Mbps: Heavy HD streaming, online gaming and downloading with a lot of connected devices
    • 40+Mbps: Hardcore streaming, gaming, and downloading with an extreme number of connected devices

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Quick turnaround work which required me to download very large files. Quick turnaround as in, by the time I'd downloaded the files to work on, the job should have been done and sent back to client. 11mbps was the max download speed I got, usually it was about 9mbps but upload speed was only about 4mbps.

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

Nothing - I worked from home for years with 2mbs and then 6.5mbs

I now have 70mbs itís made very little difference for work, itís improved downloading movies and playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Quite.
    Look at the experts claiming they know better without any idea of what the work involves. I'll give you a hint, downloading a 20GB file with a 9mbps connection takes over 5 hours (assuming the connection doesn't drop). Not much use when you only have 2 hours to do the job
    So not 'quite'.

Liked 3,067 in 2,009 posts

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Quite.
    Do you understand the A in adsl ?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,733 in 2,737 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonercat View Post
    Quick turnaround work which required me to download very large files. Quick turnaround as in, by the time I'd downloaded the files to work on, the job should have been done and sent back to client. 11mbps was the max download speed I got, usually it was about 9mbps but upload speed was only about 4mbps.

Barring the occasional email none of my work is online.

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

Feel free to quote where I have said I trust the Toryís figures...
    You've made multiple posts based on the Tory's figures, you've even told us how it will hurt UK tax payers for generations to come. Was all that based on figures that you don't trust? You appear to be doing a spot of back pedaling since it's been pointed out that the figures are flawed.

Corybn to "invest" - £600b - buying back shit that already exists = good.
    £600b.... that will hurt every single working man, woman and their children, and countless future generations.
    The total cost of his spending spree... not just the single item of that.

Liked 2,783 in 1,504 posts
    Blog Entries

Does nobody want to chat about the conservatives potentially facing a police investigation regarding offering peerages and post election jobs?

General election 2019: Police 'assessing' call for peerage claim probe https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50443430

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,580 in 978 posts

We never discuss things sub-judice!

At Work
    Liked 661 in 436 posts

You missed quoting the bit where I said I trust the figures as fully accurate, oh that’s right, I didn’t.
    Doesn't really matter in your case, seeing as you don't seem capable of understanding them anyway

Originally Posted by rudolph
    Corybn to "invest" - £600b - buying back shit that already exists = good.

You have a lot more faith in Corbyn than I do. Meh
    Not really, I'd just rather wait until the manifesto is actually released and some independent analysis is done of the figures before making any judgements.

You also don’t live in the U.K. so who gives a fuck what you think.
    Someone must give a fuck, seeing as I still get to vote. Maybe I'll vote Labour, after all I won't have to pay for it

Liked 3,090 in 2,216 posts

Letís face it irie only bet a grand as an off putting amount.
    Not a put-off, JB has got the money ...

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I always saw my £10 bet as being me betting £10 and Irie betting £10, his £1000 bet would have been him £1000 and me £1000, but I'm not prepared to risk £1000 as I'd rather pour it into my money pit Kawasaki
    ... but would rather spend it on his Kawasaki.

hth

17. The following user liked this post made by irie:

Page 13 of 81 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission