TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to restoring

Liked 377 in 197 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie to restoring

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Full restoration or renovation*? I'd start by assembling the frames, forks and wheels to get at least rolling chassis's sorted. Then see how you go from there with wiring looms, ancilleries and then the engines. Start with the one that seems to be the most complete (but it wont be!).
    Nothing worse than finding out that you need parts that are unobtainable when its 80% completed

*I'm not a great fan of nut and bolt restorations, as prefer to see something that has some signs of use. But each to their own.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,847 in 2,368 posts

Find someone who has already restored a bike like the one your restoring and become friends with them, they'll have made the mistakes your about to make, it's better if you do this before you buy a large Kawasaki for more than it's worth.

Apart from that, set yourself a deadline and break it by a few years, set yourself a budget and break it by a few thousand pounds, then a few years later decide to pull it all apart again and re do it better, spending even more money.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 3,855 in 2,552 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Find someone who has already restored a bike like the one your restoring and
    Steal it?

5. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,584 in 993 posts

Before I go further, Iíll ask you some questions.
    You say youíre new to bike restoration but know people who do it. Are you there when theyíre working on the bikes and do you assist, therefore having some knowledge or is it just that you know they work on bikes?

What are years and models of these 4 bikes? Since all of the firms were in business for decades, their models were many and also varied over the years. You would need to know what you have, should any replacement parts be required because, even for the same model, not all parts re interchangeable. Did they come with any paperwork suggesting what they had been before being dismantled?

What type of restoration are you thinking of? To running roadworthy condition or show standard? Neither will be cheap but the former will only cost an arm. Be aware that very few people make a profit from bike restoration, even before a theoretical labour charge is added. Where old bikes are concerned, manufacturing runs tend to be in small batches and cost the maker as much for a small, boring bike are as expensive as for a big, sporty one, assuming they are available at all.
    Workshop manuals and parts books for them would be advisable (for me, essential). If youíre lucky, they will have drawings of each item to help with identification. If youíre really lucky, they will even show them in relation to each other.

If you have any bits such as an engine or gearbox still in large lumps, donít take them apart until youíve sorted out all the rest or youíll just add a lot more stuff to the confusion. Below is a picture of a little gearbox of mine with the parts laid out in their relative positions (as best as I could) during the dismantling process.

You will need tools. Lots of tools. You can never have enough tools. Old Brit bikes donít generally have metric fasteners. For any built before 1970, you are likely to need Whitworth (WW) spanners. Of course, some nuts and bolts will need sockets, some will have access for ring spanners and for others youíll need open ended spanners. Tool enthusiasts can often be seen at autojumbles bent over boxes searching for, well anything really. Whether youíre using a spanner or a screwdriver, ensure it fits correctly or youíll damage the part youíre using it on.
    The tools are the easy bit. Where it gets difficult is knowing the thread types and sizes for the nuts and bolts. Someone with a better understanding than me will have to enlighten you on that. Just ask them to explain angle, pitch, major and minor diameter.

Although itís too late for your current bikes, to go back to your question to me, why I believe itís better to start with a complete bike.
    You can see what bits you have and that most of them are probably in the correct place. You have the opportunity to wheel it around if you need to move it. You can see if the engine turns over, if the clutch is free, if it changes gear, if you can get a spark at the plug(s) and a light at the -er- lights. All these can be checked manually without the risk of causing major damage by trying to fire it up, as you should feel if thereís any resistance and stop. If all seems well but perhaps with some worn bits that need replacing, at least you would know what was working before you started.

I apologise if you know all this already, but Iím responding to you as if you are indeed a complete newbie to mending old Brit bikes.

7. The following 5 users liked this useful post by Bike Breaker:

Liked 315 in 160 posts

Am I the only one who thinks this is not a genuine request? A shame if that's the case as many people have given lots of useful advice. My suspicions were raised when s/he said s/he had "a Norton, BSA, Velocette and ajs….." - even if all in bits a fair investment for someone who doesn't have a clue.

Apologies if I'm wrong but there are a lot of posts like this on other forums.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,847 in 2,368 posts

If it's fake, it's fake, but why would anyone bother.

Really Bored
    Liked 896 in 660 posts

I hope its not fake....but a lot to take on for an admitted newbie. I am jealous.

Really Bored
    Liked 896 in 660 posts

And as its a member of the female persuasion, why have we had no requests for photos?

Liked 315 in 160 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    If it's fake, it's fake, but why would anyone bother.

Well I wouldn't but lots do......

Liked 11,288 in 5,895 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    A guy I knew always rebuilt 'box of bits' bikes twice:

First time to find out what was missing, then disassemble to rebuild carefully.
    A mates Dad did that. Once he'd made his list of required parts he spent about the next 10 years travelling to bike jumbles to find said bits. I think he was a bit gutted when he finally completed it as he sold it and started on another!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,584 in 993 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this is not a genuine request?
    When I read the initial post I did think "You have to be kidding", hence my short comment. Later, when I had more time I wrote a longer post with information that I thought could be helpful to a newbie, not necessarily this one. I'll wait to see if I receive any answers to my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by davidat19 View Post
    And as its a member of the female persuasion,
    How can you be sure it's female?

Really Bored
    Liked 896 in 660 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    When I read the initial post I did think "You have to be kidding", hence my short comment. Later, when I had more time I wrote a longer post with information that I thought could be helpful to a newbie, not necessarily this one. I'll wait to see if I receive any answers to my questions.

How can you be sure it's female?
    Something to do with the name.....

Liked 3,855 in 2,552 posts

Something to do with the name.....
    Hmmm . . . Was it 'Ninja44DD' or similar who had several people fooled?

Really Bored
    Liked 896 in 660 posts

Naively i thought it unlikely a fella would call himself " maria"....there again .....

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,507 in 2,605 posts
    Blog Entries

Naively i thought it unlikely a fella would call himself " maria"....there again .....
    Is it cos they're black?

Even if it is a hoax then info posted might be useful to future generations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission