TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Benenden

Liked 1,246 in 586 posts

Default Benenden

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Gawd bless 'em. I've been having bother with my knee this year, the one where I had the ACL reconstructed six years ago. It keeps going tight, locking up, and being excruciatingly painful. So much so that I've missed marshalling a few BSB races. I went to the docs in July, they referred me for an MRI scan, and said it could take a while. Last week I was told it'll be another EIGHT weeks before I even get to see a consultant, and well into next year before a scan. This is where the Benenden insurance kicks in, so I went back to the GP for a referral letter. No GP available, so I saw the nurse practitioner, Karen, who is an American, and ex military medic who saw active service in Iraq and Afghanistan. Straight away she diagnosed the problem, the knee is full of debris from the operation and injuries, it's interfering with proper movement and causing inflammation, and it needs hoovering out.

benenden reckon I can get a scan and the arthroscopy/hoovering out done before Christmas. Yippee! Well worth the subs.

2. The following 6 users liked this useful post by McSatan:

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

Default Re: Benenden

Having had a knee replacement in a private hospital (Spire Hartswood) this year, i've pretty much told my kids if they do anything in life, make sure they get themselves private health care and if they have kids, get it for them too. Its actually quite an extraordinary thing to experience. I#ll look into Benenden for the wife and I. Thanks for the info as i'd never heard of them.

4. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 1,889 in 1,240 posts

My ACL was done on the NHS. But when it came to picking where to have the op done the choice was as follows.

Stevenage hospital - 15 weeks for a first consultant appointment
    Harlow hospital - 12 weeks for a first consultant appointment
    Rivers hospital - 2 weeks for a first consultant appointment

I said I'd never heard of Rivers and they said it was a private hospital but I could chose to go there. Hmmm let me think.

Even as an NHS patient Rivers was so much better than a normal NHS hospital. Appointments had short lead times and they also did evening appointments, pre/rehab session were great and the op was done within a few months, with the delay mainly being so that I could get a decent prehab going. I don't have private healthcare but it has seriously made me think I should.

6. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Liked 1,408 in 1,013 posts

I need to sign up for Benenden, been meaning to do it for ages.

My lifestyle will probably catch up with me sooner rather than later.

My parents have been members for years and they have always been great for getting emergency operations and private rooms.

My old man would be dead now if he didn't have private health insurance, as NHS told him 6 months waiting for gall bladder removal and after having it removed within 2 weeks on benenden the doc/surgeon said if had of waited 6 months it would of ruptured and possibly of killed him!

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,817 in 2,392 posts

I'm lucky to have top cover through work. Now that I've hit the big five-oh, it's a benefit I am very grateful for.

Really Bored
    Liked 1,784 in 997 posts

Works pays for Aviva cover...

NHS were going to take 18mnths to fix two hernias... Aviva had it done in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the info on Brenenden though as I need to get daughter covered on something. The NHS is shit, too busy interfering with peoples sex to fix people that are really ill.

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    My ACL was done on the NHS. But when it came to picking where to have the op done the choice was as follows.

I said I'd never heard of Rivers and they said it was a private hospital but I could chose to go there. Hmmm let me think.

Even as an NHS patient Rivers was so much better than a normal NHS hospital. Appointments had short lead times and they also did evening appointments, pre/rehab session were great and the op was done within a few months, with the delay mainly being so that I could get a decent prehab going. I don't have private healthcare but it has seriously made me think I should.

When I went to Spire Hartswood armed with my Mri scan on DVD, the consultant dismissed it and said I'll need an x-ray of your knee and started writing out a form. I thought FFS I'll be referred back to the NHS hospital and that'll be weeks and then I'll have to get another appointment here, at that point he handed me the form and said out of here, turn right, right and the x-ray dept is on your left. Come straight back here afterwards. 20 minutes later he's showing me the x-ray of my fooked knee!

My private room was like a decent boutique hotel one. My own bathroom with toilet and shower, full sky package on my own tv etc blah. Lunch and dinner was everything from dishes like hunters chicken to grilled sea bass. Room service for drinks for visitors etc. Absolutely incredible. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there. As my mate said, you go on about that place more favourably than your holidays!

Liked 7,647 in 4,338 posts

Never heard of it.

Here in the Northern Wastes lots of people get offered discounted 'Westfield' via their employer, I assume its the same sort of thing?

Liked 1,246 in 586 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Never heard of it.

Here in the Northern Wastes lots of people get offered discounted 'Westfield' via their employer, I assume its the same sort of thing?
    Don't know. it's a sort of health insurance that only kicks in if you can't get treated on the NHS in a reasonable time. This is usually defined by a number of factors, how much your quality of life/work etc is affected. It used to be limited to civil service/forces/police etc but I think anyone can join now.

Liked 1,487 in 712 posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSatan View Post
    Don't know. it's a sort of health insurance that only kicks in if you can't get treated on the NHS in a reasonable time. This is usually defined by a number of factors, how much your quality of life/work etc is affected. It used to be limited to civil service/forces/police etc but I think anyone can join now.
    Have been thinking of this for some time ..your post has prompted me to sign up ....��

Should Get Out More The Martian's Avatar
    Liked 3,763 in 2,170 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post

I had the option of a private hospital for my chest and shoulder ops, bloody brilliant - especially the shoulder, I had more movement and less pain before I left the hospital (it was only an overnight!)

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Martian:

Liked 1,356 in 954 posts

My wife was a flag waving supporter of the NHS until recently diagnosed with a condition that is likely to turn cancerous if ignored. NHS waiting time is a year and she was accepting of that until I got her to call my insurance and found their waiting time was about 3 weeks. Now she's not such an NHS advocate.

17. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Mussels:

Liked 4,094 in 2,052 posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSatan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Have been thinking of this for some time ..your post has prompted me to sign up ....��
    Will also be looking at this as had my right knee done twice now and took me ages to get both done trying to convince consultants to sort out the debris from assorted incidents and accidents on MTB's .... they advertise on mainstream TV so should be more open now for sign up rather than ex mob etc

Liked 2,857 in 2,030 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    My wife was a flag waving supporter of the NHS until recently diagnosed with a condition that is likely to turn cancerous if ignored. NHS waiting time is a year and she was accepting of that until I got her to call my insurance and found their waiting time was about 3 weeks. Now she's not such an NHS advocate.
    My MIL was very well looked after by Benenden after being diagnosed with cancer. My medical type wife used to work for the NHS - after she left she took out private medical insurance (with BUPA because she got a really good deal).

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission