TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a cheap laptop

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

Question Recommend me a cheap laptop

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Think I need to get my wife a new laptop. All she does is browse the internet on it. Any recommendations for a cheap laptop please.
    TIA

*edit* 15" screen ideally.
    Last edited by Taipan; 17-11-19 at 12:53.

Liked 7,647 in 4,338 posts

Default Re: Recommend me a cheap laptop

Internet only?

If it's purely for tinternet access and if she keeps downloading malware on a windows lappy, I'd be tempted to buy her a Chromebook.

3. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 10,484 in 5,478 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Internet only?

If it's purely for tinternet access and if she keeps downloading malware on a windows lappy, I'd be tempted to buy her a Chromebook.
    I've never seen one. All she uses is the chrome browser for ebay and socials, so if it would do that okay and operate the same then why not I suppose?

It's basically a laptop that only has the chrome browser on it.

Any 'productivity' tasks are done using browser based tools, so google docs, etc....

They're massive in education, google class room is really rather clever.

6. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,716 in 2,272 posts

My daughter has one of these

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3346242

It's a good, durable, light laptop, but it has very little local storage and stores nearly everything in the cloud.

8. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    My daughter has one of these

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3346242

It's a good, durable, light laptop, but it has very little local storage and stores nearly everything in the cloud.
    I got handed one of those once and was asked to fix it.... out of disk space and demanding that an essential Windows 10 update be installed. I had to do something I would never ever normally do, turn on Windows disk compression.

10. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

I got handed one of those once and was asked to fix it.... out of disk space and demanding that an essential Windows 10 update be installed. I had to do something I would never ever normally do, turn on Windows disk compression.
    Turn off Windows updates, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

You know that there's two big Windows 10 build updates a year... and that after 18 months a build of W10 goes EOL.

If it's going on the tinternet, it needs to be patched.

Mrs Pietin is having enough issues without even more gaping security holes.

You know that there's two big Windows 10 build updates a year... and that after 18 months a build of W10 goes EOL.

If it's going on the tinternet, it needs to be patched.

Mrs Pietin is having enough issues without even more gaping security holes.
    I don't buy into the whole Microsoft constant update, therefore you need a new computer, marketing con, if you want to go on the internet then NT4 will do the job

I don't buy into the whole Microsoft constant update, therefore you need a new computer, marketing con, if you want to go on the internet then NT4 will do the job
    Not really.

You'd have to use an accident browser, that doesn't support html5 and has more holes in it than a Marvel film!

Not really.

You'd have to use an accident browser, that doesn't support html5 and has more holes in it than a Marvel film!
    But who's going to write a virus or be able to take control of an ancient operating system?
    Go Linux, the past is the future.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,015 in 601 posts

You don't need a new computer to run Win 10.

I'm writing this on an Intel Atom powered Asus EEEbox that must be getting on for a decade old now - it came with Win 7. The latest update to Win 10 is running on 2gigs of RAM with 256Mb of integrated graphics handling the 32bit graphics on a 23 inch screen.

OK, I wouldn't want to run video editing on it - my Surface laptop handles that with ease - and occasionally screen refresh is a bit slow because of the graphics limitations (I'd turn it down to 16 bit if Win 10 allowed) but if your needs are basic, then an older PC is perfectly up to the job - it does what I need for work which is access email, use the internet, write articles and generally manage the business.

What I WOULD say, however, is steer clear of anything with only 32Gb of internal storage. It appears you need a min of 64 to give enough headroom for Win10 to upgrade. My cheapo tablet struggled to get upgraded from the 1803 upgrade, because the 32 gigs were not enough. Even when I did a clean install of Win10 freeing up the max space it still didn't work until MS did something clever about 2 months ago when it upgraded overnight after I'd actually given up.

Similarly, although I had over 20Gb free on the C partition on this EEEbox, Win10 refused to install until I'd freed up another 5 gigs. It says it will install in 16 gigs - it clearly needs more.

Why do you need to run Windows 10?

Liked 1,356 in 954 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    You don't need a new computer to run Win 10.

I'm writing this on an Intel Atom powered Asus EEEbox that must be getting on for a decade old now - it came with Win 7. The latest update to Win 10 is running on 2gigs of RAM with 256Mb of integrated graphics handling the 32bit graphics on a 23 inch screen.

OK, I wouldn't want to run video editing on it - my Surface laptop handles that with ease - and occasionally screen refresh is a bit slow because of the graphics limitations (I'd turn it down to 16 bit if Win 10 allowed) but if your needs are basic, then an older PC is perfectly up to the job - it does what I need for work which is access email, use the internet, write articles and generally manage the business.

What I WOULD say, however, is steer clear of anything with only 32Gb of internal storage. It appears you need a min of 64 to give enough headroom for Win10 to upgrade. My cheapo tablet struggled to get upgraded from the 1803 upgrade, because the 32 gigs were not enough. Even when I did a clean install of Win10 freeing up the max space it still didn't work until MS did something clever about 2 months ago when it upgraded overnight after I'd actually given up.

Similarly, although I had over 20Gb free on the C partition on this EEEbox, Win10 refused to install until I'd freed up another 5 gigs. It says it will install in 16 gigs - it clearly needs more.
    I'd agree with that. In the last decade or so processor speeds have hardly changed and two cores is enough for most casual users, apart from hard drives the biggest restriction is often a crappy low power processor which have got more common in recent years.
    I'd happily buy a better second hand laptop and expect it to out perform many that are 5 years newer.

My laptop at home runs windows 10 like a dream... and it's 8 years old.

It is an i7 with 8gb and a nVidia Quadro gfx card tho' and I did swap the HDD out for an SSD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission