TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a cheap laptop

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,023 in 604 posts

Default Re: Recommend me a cheap laptop

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Why do you need to run Windows 10?
    Me or people generally? And Windows generally, or Win10 specifically?

I run Windows because some of my most crucial software is Windows-only - there are no real Linux equivalents, or not ones where I find the 'look and feel' works for me. And having tried emulators under Linux, it just seems to add an extra layer of complexity.

One of my most useful programs is Digita Organiser. You've probably never heard of it but it's a Win95 organiser program, a kind of stripped down Lotus Organiser. It not only looks like a tabbed paper Filofax (which is so much easier to use than any other calendar software I've tested and I've tried a lot) it's got years of my diary on it, which I simply cannot transfer to anything else. So it stays on the system. Works fine in Win 10 (better than in Win 7 actually - a missing toolbar has reappeared).

And having stuck with Windows, I run Win10 because Win7 is approaching end of life. As the upgrade was free, there was little sense hanging on to Win7, particularly as most of the bugs seem to have been worked out of Win10 now. But if you have a system which doesn't connect to the internet, one of the older OS is probably fine - I have WinXP running on the back-up PC and on my old Dell ultra-portable that I lug around on the bike and only use for presentations.

If you're a light user and you're not running legacy Windows only software, then Linux is miles better now than it was even 3-4 years ago when I last tried half a dozen different distros. Puppy Linux is easy to install, light on resources, friendly and reasonably familiar for a non-techie to use and does most of what most people need out of the crate. (I keep one of the live CDs of that distro up to date as an emergency OS to have a look at family and friends PCs when I get a "oh f***, I've just broken my computer" call.)

But one problem is that many of these distros are community-supported and every now and again they get abandoned. I ran something called XPud on one old PC. It was a stripped to the max distro, essentially a 'chromebook before chromebooks were invented' bare-bones operating system that comprised a browser, email and little else. Very fast even on old technology. But after 2-3 years it fell out of development. I've been keeping an eye on ReactOS too, but the pace of development is glacial.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,023 in 604 posts

But who's going to write a virus or be able to take control of an ancient operating system?
    Go Linux, the past is the future.
    You should be perfectly safe with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-A...sAAOSwF9tdsxeJ

3. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,721 in 2,276 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Me or people generally? And Windows generally, or Win10 specifically?
    Windows 10 specifically, Windows 2000 was a stable operating system and relatively easy to get things working with (NT4 was very stable but at the expense of software and hardware working with it)
    What functionality does the end user get from Windows 10 that they didn't get with Windows 2000, any software could have been written for Windows 2000.

5. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,475 in 903 posts

What functionality does the end user get from Windows 10 that they didn't get with Windows 2000, any software could have been written for Windows 2000.
    I don't recall Win2000 being any good with pen & touch input - certainly not in the way that we use them now.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,023 in 604 posts

Windows 10 specifically, Windows 2000 was a stable operating system and relatively easy to get things working with (NT4 was very stable but at the expense of software and hardware working with it)
    To be honest I never used Win2000.

My experience is 1.0 (really), 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1, 95, 98, XP, 7 and now 10.

On the old PCW9512, I had Locoscript, which was a pretty good word processor. I doubt there's anything much that I use with my current WP (which is Softmaker 2018 as it happens) that wasn't built into Locoscript. Much basic functionality hasn't changed since Amstrad days.

I'm not techie enough to tell you what's under the hood which would have prevented software being written until Windows was improved, but I can point you at a few things which have made a difference. Long file names is one - that came in with 95, IIRC. Another is that stability improved a quantum leap between 98 and XP. A crash is now a very rare thing. Plug and play was a big step forward too, once they got it working properly.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,764 in 1,217 posts

Turn off Windows updates, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
    You can't with 10. It's effectivly SaaS and is updated twice a year unless you're on the long term service channel.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,721 in 2,276 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    To be honest I never used Win2000.

My experience is 1.0 (really), 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1, 95, 98, XP, 7 and now 10.

On the old PCW9512, I had Locoscript, which was a pretty good word processor. I doubt there's anything much that I use with my current WP (which is Softmaker 2018 as it happens) that wasn't built into Locoscript. Much basic functionality hasn't changed since Amstrad days.

I'm not techie enough to tell you what's under the hood which would have prevented software being written until Windows was improved, but I can point you at a few things which have made a difference. Long file names is one - that came in with 95, IIRC. Another is that stability improved a quantum leap between 98 and XP. A crash is now a very rare thing. Plug and play was a big step forward too, once they got it working properly.
    Never saw Windows 1 and 2.
    The big difference between 98 and XP is that XP is a development from Windows NT (so is Windows 2000) and because of that is a completely different operating system to the 95/98/Me family of operating systems. Windows NT spawned from a joint development between HP (I think) and Microsoft, after they split HP came out with OS2 Warp and a bit later Microsoft came out with Windows NT, but they both have the same low level code.

10. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,764 in 1,217 posts

Never saw Windows 1 and 2.
    The big difference between 98 and XP is that XP is a development from Windows NT (so is Windows 2000) and because of that is a completely different operating system to the 95/98/Me family of operating systems. Windows NT spawned from a joint development between HP (I think) and Microsoft, after they split HP came out with OS2 Warp and a bit later Microsoft came out with Windows NT, but they both have the same low level code.
    Bring back 3Com 3+ share

PS - it's starting to smell of wee in here.

12. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,299 in 1,342 posts
    Blog Entries

I bought one of these recently. Seems decent for the money. I’m not an expert.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/878738

14. The following user liked this post made by MyLittleStudPony:

Liked 7,678 in 4,361 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleStudPony View Post
    I bought one of these recently. Seems decent for the money. I’m not an expert.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/878738
    or this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-V1...891c60ad6af946

but an i7 (even a 7th Gen one) is over kill.

16. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 1,356 in 954 posts

They are both I7 mobile processors (U), ok for a general use laptop but don't expect anything amazing from them.

Liked 10,540 in 5,511 posts

What’s the better one of these two please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 10,540 in 5,511 posts

Asus c523 15.6 celeron 4gb 64gbchromebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 2,863 in 2,048 posts

Last acer i had got sold after six month. Mouse was to noisy on the click. Im sure is shouted click at me.

Liked 1,356 in 954 posts

Difficult to say which is better, one is a PC and the other a Chromebook. I know little about Chromebooks apart from they aren't Windows so are too restricted for me. The Acer has an AMD processor which again I'm not familiar with though they are meant to run as well as Intel at a lower clock speed, that one is 1.5GHz and if it was Intel I'd give it a wide berth. Sorry that doesn't help much but at £230 the Acer may be worth a punt but I would be expecting it to be frustratingly slow in a couple of years.
    I've had Acer laptops and been fine with them but I've never been bothered much by aesthetics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission