TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Why is there so little air intake tuning going on?

Hybrid View

A Bit Bored
    Liked 30 in 16 posts

Default Why is there so little air intake tuning going on?

Lots of people are getting performance exhausts and remaps. Don't they need to get more air in? Isn't it a bit of a waste to get the pipe and map if you don't pimp the airbox? Sometimes they swap the stock filter for a K&N one, but that's a rather tiny step to take. Where are all the enlarged air boxes and the bolt-on intake tubes? I reckon it would be fun to make some and see what they do on the dyno.

Liked 4,060 in 2,728 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is there so little air intake tuning going on?

Yes it should be possible to make you’re bike significantly slower, with only a few expensive bolt-on parts.

Liked 7,815 in 4,442 posts

Unless you compress the air, only so much will fit in an engine at any given time. If the standard airbox and filter flow that amount then there's no point fucking about with them.

There's some interesting stuff going on with variable intake tracts, etc... but if you want to get more air in, you need forced induction.

Liked 1,130 in 739 posts

Modern bikes need to be quiet. So you get baffles in the airbox, flapper valves, etc. Same as in the exhaust.

It's past the days of CV carbs where even touching the airbox would fk your bike up forever. As long as you know the bike will need a bit of Dyno time (or buy a power commander 5 with auto tune), I don't see why you shouldn't gut the airbox, if you didn't mind the extra noise.

That's worth mentioning too. Loud exhausts give everyone else a headache. Loud airboxes get real old for the rider, real fast.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 30 in 16 posts

Well I suppose that's only fair. I'm not a fan of noise pollution.

What can the PC5 manage? If you were to go as far as you can without changing the engine internals....a catless illegal full exhaust, enlarged/derestricted airbox, bigger air intakes, can the PC5 come up with the optimal map without human intervention on a dyno? I've been reading about the Dimsport Rapid Bike Evo, and it seems to promise that sort of thing. I've no idea how it compares with the PC.
    Last edited by nick h.; 18-11-19 at 22:34.

Liked 6,396 in 3,988 posts
    Blog Entries

Air boxes are easily pressured to the right level. That's a given. The computer takes over to mix the fuel/air ratio.

Non event story really.

Liked 1,130 in 739 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    Well I suppose that's only fair. I'm not a fan of noise pollution.

What can the PC5 manage? If you were to go as far as you can without changing the engine internals....a catless illegal full exhaust, enlarged/derestricted airbox, bigger air intakes, can the PC5 come up with the optimal map without human intervention on a dyno? I've been reading about the Dimsport Rapid Bike Evo, and it seems to promise that sort of thing. I've no idea how it compares with the PC.
    PCV can be on its own and rely on your Dyno guy spending his time / your money setting it up. Or you can add an autotune box and a wideband O2 sensor. With that, you get a "close enough" map off the web, then as you ride around at various throttle openings and engine loading, the bike learns what it has to do to achieve the target air fuel ratio you set. You can go full lean burn for efficiency or a bit richer for cooling purposes or whatever you want, and it'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    What happens when a horse requests more food?
    It gets it, and goes faster. Or the trainer doesn't listen and it falls down exhausted during the race.

Anyway, come clean nick? What POS are you hoping to make faster?

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission