TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy new(er) bike day to me

Liked 113 in 88 posts

Default Happy new(er) bike day to me

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    After much time deliberating over the suitability of the old faithful CBR600 for pottering around vs something practical or a super scoot, I chucked my cash at the ultimate commuter - an NT700VA Deauville 😀, taking me back to my NTV650 days.

Racing black 2008 model with ABS/CBS, Honda OEM luggage and heated grips. Massive screen to hide behind and belly pan fairing too.
    First impressions - engine from a cement mixer, handles like a dumper truck but a comfy armchair. Now to clean up the CBR for sale...

2. The following 6 users liked this useful post by V8-Powered:

Really Bored
    Liked 408 in 271 posts

Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

Must seem a bit primitive compared to a CBR, but no doubt it will grow on you - especially if the weather stays this cold.

Liked 4,179 in 2,093 posts

And strangely enough they hold their money ....... i know a few instructors that run them for their weather protection, shaft drive and all day comfort rather than performance and handling

Liked 10,730 in 5,608 posts

I did fancy one of these for a winter bike. Cracking bike for that job, but I dont think they're very economical?

Liked 113 in 88 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    Must seem a bit primitive compared to a CBR, but no doubt it will grow on you - especially if the weather stays this cold.
    Yep, very much so but even on the run to and from the station today in near-zero temps I felt very comfortable. I used to commute an NTV650 and it was great, hence buying its younger relation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    And strangely enough they hold their money ....... i know a few instructors that run them for their weather protection, shaft drive and all day comfort rather than performance and handling
    I personally think I they are a bit of a bargain bike and do seem to.go forever if looked after, my old NTV650 had 134000miles on it when I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I did fancy one of these for a winter bike. Cracking bike for that job, but I dont think they're very economical?
    Think 55-60mpg should be achievable on a run quite easily. Not in scoot territory but for a big faired bike I'd say pretty reasonable.

7. The following user liked this post made by V8-Powered:

Liked 7,806 in 4,436 posts

I had a 700 Translap with the same motor.

It was mostly fine, however when it got proper hot it would mis-fire like a bitch and stall. Turns out the 'NGK' OEM Plug Caps weren't actually made by NGK at all and where cheap shit (strange for a Honda, they even have NGK cast on them). I swapped them for some proper NGK's and all the problems went away. I dunno if it's the same for the NT.

Really Bored
    Liked 408 in 271 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I had a 700 Translap with the same motor.

It was mostly fine, however when it got proper hot it would mis-fire like a bitch and stall. Turns out the 'NGK' OEM Plug Caps weren't actually made by NGK at all and where cheap shit (strange for a Honda, they even have NGK cast on them). I swapped them for some proper NGK's and all the problems went away. I dunno if it's the same for the NT.
    Well that's a cheap fix - once you know about it. Maybe took a while to figure out what the issue was?

Liked 7,806 in 4,436 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    Well that's a cheap fix - once you know about it. Maybe took a while to figure out what the issue was?
    It was a fucking pain in the arse.

After about an hour it would start stalling at lights was was a bugger to restart. Not very Honda at all. Google provided the answer and iirc the plug caps were about a fiver a pair of t'bay.

Liked 981 in 547 posts

A good buy for commuting. Mate has three of these and swears by them. Disappears to Holland Belguim and France with his Mrs most weekends on his. He was an airhead man but got one of these cheap think he paid 600 for it. Sold his airheads and never looked back. It does what it says on the tin comfort beats speed any day that's why I ride a Burgman 650

Liked 113 in 88 posts

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    A good buy for commuting. Mate has three of these and swears by them. Disappears to Holland Belguim and France with his Mrs most weekends on his. He was an airhead man but got one of these cheap think he paid 600 for it. Sold his airheads and never looked back. It does what it says on the tin comfort beats speed any day that's why I ride a Burgman 650
    I did consider another BMW R-series but for VFM, you can't go wrong with an NT.

Think I do need to sort out a replacement front BT023 as the tyre on there is well worn and tramlines something chronic!!

Liked 10,730 in 5,608 posts

Quote Originally Posted by V8-Powered View Post
    Think 55-60mpg should be achievable on a run quite easily. Not in scoot territory but for a big faired bike I'd say pretty reasonable.
    Sure somebody quoted me low 40s? Either way I'd be interested to see how it does work our roughly.

Liked 113 in 88 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Sure somebody quoted me low 40s? Either way I'd be interested to see how it does work our roughly.
    The guy I got it from commuted from Greenford to Wimbledon and was getting circa 50mpg, so I'd expect to smash that easily.

15. The following user liked this post made by V8-Powered:

Liked 113 in 88 posts

Thought I'd take a look at the front tyre due to tram lining/instability, tyre is certainly worn (PR4 odd wear) and needs replacing in the near future but thought I'd chuck the pressure gauge on it anyway. 10 PSI! Guess that explains it!!!!

17. The following 3 users liked this useful post by V8-Powered:

Liked 3,489 in 1,814 posts

Thought I'd take a look at the front tyre due to tram lining/instability, tyre is certainly worn (PR4 odd wear) and needs replacing in the near future but thought I'd chuck the pressure gauge on it anyway. 10 PSI! Guess that explains it!!!!
    Been there, done that. Convinced myself I needed to put head bearings in a new (to me) bike once, Fortunately I checked the tyre pressures first...

Liked 1,920 in 1,262 posts

Sounds like yours is pressure related, but I've found that my PR4 tramlines a fair amount once it worn a lot. I've also found that the rear despite having some tread left has got some big old steps in the tread now from the sipes which makes corner entry interesting. Tread wise I have a bit left in front and rear but think I'll replace them sooner rather than later. Not gonna complain too much though as done 6k miles compared to the M7RR which only managed 4 before being shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission