TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Happy new(er) bike day to me

  1. #1
    At Work V8-Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Bergholt, Essex
    Posts
    1,143
    Like
    116
    Liked 113 in 88 posts

    Default Happy new(er) bike day to me


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    After much time deliberating over the suitability of the old faithful CBR600 for pottering around vs something practical or a super scoot, I chucked my cash at the ultimate commuter - an NT700VA Deauville 😀, taking me back to my NTV650 days.

    Racing black 2008 model with ABS/CBS, Honda OEM luggage and heated grips. Massive screen to hide behind and belly pan fairing too.
    First impressions - engine from a cement mixer, handles like a dumper truck but a comfy armchair. Now to clean up the CBR for sale...

  2. The following 6 users liked this useful post by V8-Powered:


  3. #2
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,333
    Like
    1,108
    Liked 408 in 271 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Must seem a bit primitive compared to a CBR, but no doubt it will grow on you - especially if the weather stays this cold.

  4. #3
    Should Get Out More Bigyin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,230
    Like
    2,567
    Liked 4,179 in 2,093 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    And strangely enough they hold their money ....... i know a few instructors that run them for their weather protection, shaft drive and all day comfort rather than performance and handling

  5. #4
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    48,517
    Like
    17,133
    Liked 10,730 in 5,608 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    I did fancy one of these for a winter bike. Cracking bike for that job, but I dont think they're very economical?

  6. #5
    At Work V8-Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Bergholt, Essex
    Posts
    1,143
    Like
    116
    Liked 113 in 88 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    Must seem a bit primitive compared to a CBR, but no doubt it will grow on you - especially if the weather stays this cold.
    Yep, very much so but even on the run to and from the station today in near-zero temps I felt very comfortable. I used to commute an NTV650 and it was great, hence buying its younger relation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    And strangely enough they hold their money ....... i know a few instructors that run them for their weather protection, shaft drive and all day comfort rather than performance and handling
    I personally think I they are a bit of a bargain bike and do seem to.go forever if looked after, my old NTV650 had 134000miles on it when I sold it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I did fancy one of these for a winter bike. Cracking bike for that job, but I dont think they're very economical?
    Think 55-60mpg should be achievable on a run quite easily. Not in scoot territory but for a big faired bike I'd say pretty reasonable.

  7. The following user liked this post made by V8-Powered:


  8. #6
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,452
    Like
    418
    Liked 7,806 in 4,436 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    I had a 700 Translap with the same motor.

    It was mostly fine, however when it got proper hot it would mis-fire like a bitch and stall. Turns out the 'NGK' OEM Plug Caps weren't actually made by NGK at all and where cheap shit (strange for a Honda, they even have NGK cast on them). I swapped them for some proper NGK's and all the problems went away. I dunno if it's the same for the NT.

  9. #7
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London SW
    Posts
    3,333
    Like
    1,108
    Liked 408 in 271 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I had a 700 Translap with the same motor.

    It was mostly fine, however when it got proper hot it would mis-fire like a bitch and stall. Turns out the 'NGK' OEM Plug Caps weren't actually made by NGK at all and where cheap shit (strange for a Honda, they even have NGK cast on them). I swapped them for some proper NGK's and all the problems went away. I dunno if it's the same for the NT.
    Well that's a cheap fix - once you know about it. Maybe took a while to figure out what the issue was?

  10. #8
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,452
    Like
    418
    Liked 7,806 in 4,436 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    Well that's a cheap fix - once you know about it. Maybe took a while to figure out what the issue was?
    It was a fucking pain in the arse.

    After about an hour it would start stalling at lights was was a bugger to restart. Not very Honda at all. Google provided the answer and iirc the plug caps were about a fiver a pair of t'bay.

  11. #9
    Should Get Out More maccecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South East England Kent.
    Posts
    6,843
    Like
    180
    Liked 981 in 547 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    A good buy for commuting. Mate has three of these and swears by them. Disappears to Holland Belguim and France with his Mrs most weekends on his. He was an airhead man but got one of these cheap think he paid 600 for it. Sold his airheads and never looked back. It does what it says on the tin comfort beats speed any day that's why I ride a Burgman 650

  12. #10
    At Work V8-Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Bergholt, Essex
    Posts
    1,143
    Like
    116
    Liked 113 in 88 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    A good buy for commuting. Mate has three of these and swears by them. Disappears to Holland Belguim and France with his Mrs most weekends on his. He was an airhead man but got one of these cheap think he paid 600 for it. Sold his airheads and never looked back. It does what it says on the tin comfort beats speed any day that's why I ride a Burgman 650
    I did consider another BMW R-series but for VFM, you can't go wrong with an NT.

    Think I do need to sort out a replacement front BT023 as the tyre on there is well worn and tramlines something chronic!!

  13. #11
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    48,517
    Like
    17,133
    Liked 10,730 in 5,608 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by V8-Powered View Post
    Think 55-60mpg should be achievable on a run quite easily. Not in scoot territory but for a big faired bike I'd say pretty reasonable.
    Sure somebody quoted me low 40s? Either way I'd be interested to see how it does work our roughly.

  14. #12
    At Work V8-Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Bergholt, Essex
    Posts
    1,143
    Like
    116
    Liked 113 in 88 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Sure somebody quoted me low 40s? Either way I'd be interested to see how it does work our roughly.
    The guy I got it from commuted from Greenford to Wimbledon and was getting circa 50mpg, so I'd expect to smash that easily.

  15. The following user liked this post made by V8-Powered:


  16. #13
    At Work V8-Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Bergholt, Essex
    Posts
    1,143
    Like
    116
    Liked 113 in 88 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Thought I'd take a look at the front tyre due to tram lining/instability, tyre is certainly worn (PR4 odd wear) and needs replacing in the near future but thought I'd chuck the pressure gauge on it anyway. 10 PSI! Guess that explains it!!!!

  17. The following 3 users liked this useful post by V8-Powered:


  18. #14
    Should Get Out More balbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,512
    Like
    1,311
    Liked 3,489 in 1,814 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by V8-Powered View Post
    Thought I'd take a look at the front tyre due to tram lining/instability, tyre is certainly worn (PR4 odd wear) and needs replacing in the near future but thought I'd chuck the pressure gauge on it anyway. 10 PSI! Guess that explains it!!!!
    Been there, done that. Convinced myself I needed to put head bearings in a new (to me) bike once, Fortunately I checked the tyre pressures first...

  19. #15
    Should Get Out More Supermofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,093
    Like
    3,297
    Liked 1,920 in 1,262 posts

    Default Re: Happy new(er) bike day to me

    Quote Originally Posted by V8-Powered View Post
    Thought I'd take a look at the front tyre due to tram lining/instability, tyre is certainly worn (PR4 odd wear) and needs replacing in the near future but thought I'd chuck the pressure gauge on it anyway. 10 PSI! Guess that explains it!!!!
    Sounds like yours is pressure related, but I've found that my PR4 tramlines a fair amount once it worn a lot. I've also found that the rear despite having some tread left has got some big old steps in the tread now from the sipes which makes corner entry interesting. Tread wise I have a bit left in front and rear but think I'll replace them sooner rather than later. Not gonna complain too much though as done 6k miles compared to the M7RR which only managed 4 before being shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission