TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USA West Coast trip - suggestions?

Liked 1,613 in 942 posts

Default Re: USA West Coast trip - suggestions?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    When are you going?
    May, the 2 weeks between the bank holidays.

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,339 in 1,373 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    5 hours of shouting at booking websites and a 90 minute phone call and we've booked the flights.....

If booking hotels etc is as bad then I'm going to need a holiday!
    When I was away recently it was super easy to book a hotel which met my needs for the next night on Booking.com. Less than five minutes in a cafe with Wifi just using my (fairly old) phone. And there was always good choice available. Different country but it amazed me having not 'travelled' for a while how easy it was these days.

3. The following user liked this post made by MyLittleStudPony:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,130 in 2,129 posts

Jealous? Moi?

I've probably said it before, but think elevation. May should be really warm and sunny, but if you go uphill it can get very cold at night. Also some of the passes may still be closed, totally dependent on how much snow they get this winter. Worth checking if your planned route crosses the Rockies. We assumed it would be clear in June, and had a 200 mile detour added to what was planned as a long day.

Pics and a write up when you get back please.

5. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,816 in 2,350 posts

First time we went was last two weeks of April, the weather was excellent, but some of the passes in the Sierra Nevada were closed

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

7. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 1,613 in 942 posts

Jealous? Moi?

I've probably said it before, but think elevation. May should be really warm and sunny, but if you go uphill it can get very cold at night. Also some of the passes may still be closed, totally dependent on how much snow they get this winter. Worth checking if your planned route crosses the Rockies. We assumed it would be clear in June, and had a 200 mile detour added to what was planned as a long day.
    We're hoping to get to Crater Lake at least - apparantly the southern approach road is kept open, but given we'll be in a hire car* with regular tyres, I'm not going to push my luck.

Pics and a write up when you get back please.
    Naturally.

* Planning on getting a Mustang Convertable.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,816 in 2,350 posts

Check that the hire car company will allow you to hire in one state and return the car in another, Hertz used to add a hefty charge for this and wouldn't let you do it with a Mustang (but this is 23 years ago)
    South from Crater Lake, Eureka, the Giant Sequoias and the Ghost Coast are worth a look, Lassen National Park is okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit there again (it's a big, smelly mountain)

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,130 in 2,129 posts

We're hoping to get to Crater Lake at least - apparantly the southern approach road is kept open, but given we'll be in a hire car* with regular tyres, I'm not going to push my luck.

* Planning on getting a Mustang Convertable.
    The southern approach is plowed regularly in winter and should be fine, leads straight into the Lodge area and the main car parks. The northern one leads into Rim Drive some miles away. We went in about mid-June, and Rim Drive was still closed, the winter before they had had 60 feet of snow! . We parked up and walked along the parts that were clear and it was brilliant, Crater Lake was one of the places I really wanted to visit, and it did not disappoint.

The soft-top Mustang sounds great, but watch out when parking. I always chose 4x4 SUVs for the higher ground clearance (and I do like exploring forest roads that lead nowhere), and several times I pulled off onto what we might call a lay by, but with a 6 inch drop off the actual pavement. No biggie, but I saw several low-slung cars struggling and making very expensive graunching noises. Not an issue in civilization, but beware out in the sticks, mountain roads get resurfaced often because of frost damage and the surface builds up. Laybys don't get resurfaced (or even surfaced at all).

11. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Liked 1,613 in 942 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Check that the hire car company will allow you to hire in one state and return the car in another, Hertz used to add a hefty charge for this and wouldn't let you do it with a Mustang (but this is 23 years ago)
    South from Crater Lake, Eureka, the Giant Sequoias and the Ghost Coast are worth a look, Lassen National Park is okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit there again (it's a big, smelly mountain)

Booking online doesn't seem to indicate any issues.

Liked 1,613 in 942 posts

The southern approach is plowed regularly in winter and should be fine, leads straight into the Lodge area and the main car parks. The northern one leads into Rim Drive some miles away. We went in about mid-June, and Rim Drive was still closed, the winter before they had had 60 feet of snow! . We parked up and walked along the parts that were clear and it was brilliant, Crater Lake was one of the places I really wanted to visit, and it did not disappoint.

The soft-top Mustang sounds great, but watch out when parking. I always chose 4x4 SUVs for the higher ground clearance (and I do like exploring forest roads that lead nowhere), and several times I pulled off onto what we might call a lay by, but with a 6 inch drop off the actual pavement. No biggie, but I saw several low-slung cars struggling and making very expensive graunching noises. Not an issue in civilization, but beware out in the sticks, mountain roads get resurfaced often because of frost damage and the surface builds up. Laybys don't get resurfaced (or even surfaced at all).

Good points all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission