TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Password manager

Liked 1,083 in 554 posts

Default Password manager

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Anyone got a recommendation for a top/ easy password manager?

I'm fed up with the sheer number of passwords I have to remember and how many I end up reusing or writing down.

Don't mind paying, has to be good across different platforms and multiple devices (especially Apple) but also easy to use for a techy muppet like me. Ta

Liked 2,568 in 1,589 posts

Default Re: Password manager

I recommend KeePass. Very easy to use and works across all OS. - Windows, Linux, MAC, IPad, IPhone.

If you use Linux you can also get a more modern variation with KeePassXC. Both use the same interchangeable file structure. Very easy to use. You can export the database easily should you need to update from one OS to another. You can even keep the database separate on a USB stick for extra security.

https://keepass.info/download.html

If you canít get KeePass original - not the Chinese rip offs - you can also use StrongBox on IOS/Mac as it uses the same KDBX database. Available as an app.

https://strongboxsafe.com/

Note: KDBX databases are also used on Android Apps (spits).

3. The following user liked this post made by KorkyKat:

Liked 569 in 315 posts

I have a notepad on the desk next to the printer, all my passwords are written in there. I write in pencil so I can easily update/delete as necessary. Good luck trying to hack into that.

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Druid:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,087 in 2,097 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I have a notepad on the desk next to the printer, all my passwords are written in there. I write in pencil so I can easily update/delete as necessary. Good luck trying to hack into that.
    Tough to hack, but an old-fashioned break in might be on to a winner. And a fire would leave you fcuked.

Liked 1,083 in 554 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    That's about what I do at the moment, I have so many passwords, personal and work, that I now can't keep up and if I lost my written copy, I'd be buggered!!

I thought with some of the techy persons on here that more people would use a password manager and be able to help, but maybe there's a lot more bits of paper and password books being used than I thought?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,359 in 2,507 posts
    Blog Entries

I run Linux Mint and have an encrypted usb stick with my passwords on it. Just don't copy and paste them from the stick to the computer. I can remember the most used ones, it's the lesser used ones I struggle with.

It's easy enough to disguise written down passwords, just chuck in some extra characters, swap characters about or the like.

That said, a password manager is something I need to investigate.

Liked 5,240 in 3,512 posts

What Korky said: Keepass.

There's also a version for Android. You only need to remember one password so make it a strong one.

10. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Liked 7,835 in 4,457 posts

I've used Lastpass and Zoho Vault in business environments. Zoho is free and allows team sharing, but it's clunky. Lastpass i good and has a broswer addin and good sharing options, but it costs money for team use.

Most of my personal passwords get saved in the web browser, can't think of anywhere I used a password that isn't web based anymore. Where possible I setup MFA. With the MS Authenticator it's just a matter of clicking a button, no codes to type in etc..

12. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission