TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98

Thread: Norton winding up order

  1. #16
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    956
    Like
    187
    Liked 334 in 210 posts

    Default Re: Norton winding up order


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    One of the replies leads to this other Twitter account which makes intersting reading: https://twitter.com/AboutNorton

  2. #17
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,755
    Like
    191
    Liked 4,153 in 2,784 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    One of the replies leads to this other Twitter account which makes intersting reading: https://twitter.com/AboutNorton
    That lot sounds like they’re not the bestest bikes in the World.

  3. #18
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,471
    Like
    7,191
    Liked 5,930 in 3,152 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    One of the replies leads to this other Twitter account which makes intersting reading: https://twitter.com/AboutNorton
    Wowsers! that IS interesting reading

  4. #19
    Annoying The Idiots Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    40,857
    Like
    6,863
    Liked 6,509 in 4,059 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Wowsers! that IS interesting reading
    What's it say ? I don't do Twitter

  5. #20
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    22,501
    Like
    1
    Liked 4,403 in 2,539 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Just click on the link and read it, you don't need an account.

  6. The following user liked this post made by cheb:


  7. #21
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,755
    Like
    191
    Liked 4,153 in 2,784 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    What's it say ? I don't do Twitter
    You defiantly don’t do Twitter, but you want someone to read it to you?

  8. #22
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    956
    Like
    187
    Liked 334 in 210 posts

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    What's it say ? I don't do Twitter
    OK I will summarize. Many bikes allegedly had poor quality castings, threw or snapped valves within the first few miles, and had oil leaks which gasket changes could not fix. Norton, who are keen to perpeptuate traditions of British engineering were not to blame because they suffered from suppliers (said by some to be Chinese) sending poor quality castings. The German importer fabricated their own swing arm rather than sell Nortons with one which could be flexed by hand. Buyers waited years after giving deposits for delivery and were asked for full price before delivery. They were unhappy that the CEO, a motivational speaker who for a fee will describe how he has risen to success, continued to add to his fleet of Aston Martins, and bought his wife Vuitton bags and a Cartier gold watch, while parts for their bikes were delayed.

    Some beneficiaries of the Norton pension fund who are worried that their pension may have vanished, some customers who are disatisified with cusotmer service, other customers who are now nervous that their deposits may be lost, and John McGuinness (who has decamped to Kawasaki after testing where he was disatisfied -- but Norton blames problems on his fitness), are saying that the CEO of Norton appears now to be difficult to locate or contact.

    The Norton crowdfunding proposal boasted that the factory limited production to 6000 per year. New registrations seem to imply that production was a fraction of that and fell sharply in 2019.
    Last edited by John B; 18-01-20 at 11:00.

  9. The following user liked this post made by John B:


  10. #23
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,755
    Like
    191
    Liked 4,153 in 2,784 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    OK I will summarize. Many bikes allegedly had poor quality castings, threw or snapped valves within the first few miles, and had oil leaks which gasket changes could not fix. Norton, who are keen to perpeptuate traditions of British engineering were not to blame because they suffered from suppliers (said by some to be Chinese) sending poor quality castings. The German importer fabricated their own swing arm rather than sell Nortons with one which could be flexed by hand. Buyers waited years after giving deposits for delivery and were asked for full price before delivery. They were unhappy that the CEO, a motivational speaker who for a fee will describe how he has risen to success, continued to add to his fleet of Aston Martins, and bought his wife Vuitton bags and a Cartier gold watch, while parts for their bikes were delayed.

    Some beneficiaries of the Norton pension fund who are worried that their pension may have vanished, some customers who are disatisified with cusotmer service, other customers who are now nervous that their deposits may be lost, and John McGuinness (who has decamped to Kawasaki after testing where he was disatisfied -- but Norton blames problems on his fitness), are saying that the CEO of Norton appears now to be difficult to locate or contact.

    The Norton crowdfunding proposal boasted that the factory limited production to 6000 per year. New registrations seem to imply that production was a fraction of that and fell sharply in 2019.
    Don’t tell him, Pike!

  11. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:


  12. #24
    Should Get Out More KorkyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anarchia
    Posts
    17,467
    Like
    0
    Liked 2,626 in 1,629 posts

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Some serious stuff amid the ‘humour’.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Notnorton_Moto


    Twitter: Can Be Read By Anybody With Or Without An Account - Idiots and Illiterates Excluded.

  13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by KorkyKat:


  14. #25
    Really Bored 1913's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    3,076
    Like
    328
    Liked 386 in 239 posts

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Just on the news that Norton is officially being wound up. No further details.

  15. #26
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    12,267
    Like
    985
    Liked 2,470 in 1,498 posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Bet Iccy's glad he never ordered one.
    It can't be a surprise to anyone though, I can't see how they ever sold any bikes as they cost a lot and were built to order, if I'm buying a bike I want it right away.
    All high end vehicles are like that. If you went into a Ferrari dealer and dropped 200k on a new car you would be lucky to get it in 2020.

    That's just how high end built to order works. They don't have bikes constantly rolling along a production line.

  16. #27
    Really Bored TrickyDicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Baarkshire
    Posts
    2,312
    Like
    1,300
    Liked 1,688 in 742 posts

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by 1913 View Post
    Just on the news that Norton is officially being wound up. No further details.
    Garner's hotel group also has a winding up order on it- good riddance to him I say.
    It's a big sham for Norton and Britain though IMO, we need more true UK manufacturing, so this is a blow.

    Fingers crossed someone in the UK with both the cash and a true vision and desire for the Norton brand takes it on , and it emerges as more a Triumph than an AJS or BSA.
    Here's hoping...

  17. #28
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,693
    Like
    426
    Liked 7,978 in 4,539 posts

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    Garner's hotel group also has a winding up order on it- good riddance to him I say.
    It's a big sham for Norton and Britain though IMO, we need more true UK manufacturing, so this is a blow.

    Fingers crossed someone in the UK with both the cash and a true vision and desire for the Norton brand takes it on , and it emerges as more a Triumph than an AJS or BSA.
    Here's hoping...
    I'll have a soapy tenner on Zongshen buying it.

  18. #29
    Not Much To Do ogri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    610
    Like
    603
    Liked 110 in 90 posts

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    There have been a few posts about norton owners replacing engines with new triumph one's, and plenty of posts/rumours about prepaid orders never turning up.
    Although they temporarily dodged the bullet last month, i think they will go under this time.
    Some-one else will buy the name and probably churn out asian 125 motors at bargain prices in the near future.

  19. #30
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,755
    Like
    191
    Liked 4,153 in 2,784 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Norton winding up order

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    Fingers crossed someone in the UK with both the cash and a true vision and desire for the Norton brand takes it on , and it emerges as more a Triumph than an AJS or BSA.
    Here's hoping...
    It your “someone in the UK” turns up, it’ll be another con man.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission