TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Norton winding up order

Liked 4,227 in 2,833 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Norton winding up order

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    It made entertaining reading over my morning coffee, but I don't have a lot of time for post-scandal tabloid sensationalist stuff - especially when everyone is coming out of the closet Saville style to claim they knew - but kept quiet at the time.

Are we to believe that SG is a Machiavellian genius that planned this whole thing over a decade ago and has spun one of the biggest pre-planned scams in the history of bike manufacturing? If so he's wasted in motorcycle production and he should be running governments. I met him briefly once and he didn't seem like a bad bloke, I think he should only have been in charge of his own money and not anyone else's, but I'm struggling to find my pitchfork to join in with the crowd.

Every time a business venture goes bump there are a load of people screaming bloody murder about being robbed, but I think it's not often that they are actually robbed, it's either they didn't do their due diligence or they could afford to take a risk - or they didn't care enough to look into it - I'm confused about the bit where the other half of Spondon thinks that SG had forged his signature and robbed him blind of half the business that he spent a lifetime building but didn't do anything about it? I'd have gone straight to the police.

SG is an entrepreneur that took other people's money and took massive risks with it, if he'd been successful using the same methodology he'd have been celebrated as a genius, but as it went wrong he's a demon.
    In my opinion the world needs chancers, but you get to choose whether you give them money - other holes in the ground are available.
    The pension funds stuff is exceptional, even among risk-taking entrepreneurs.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 52 in 27 posts

I'm afraid the Spondon chap is weak, which is why Garner targeted him in the first place.

Liked 2,782 in 1,738 posts

Can’t see Triumph showing an interest. They’ve enough on their plate with developing all the models they have. Maybe the Chinese or an Indian business?

Who knows?

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,223 in 2,190 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Can’t see Triumph showing an interest. They’ve enough on their plate with developing all the models they have. Maybe the Chinese or an Indian business?

Who knows?
    Or really cares. The real Norton is dead, and has been for years. Someone may bring the name back to life, as has been done with Triumph, but even so, it won't be the old Norton, any more than current Triumph are the old Triumph.
    Last edited by Cousin Jack; 18-02-20 at 20:50.

5. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,590 in 1,547 posts
    Blog Entries

Everyone who's got loads of cash and motivation to buy expense Nortons is too young to GAF about the name. The list of people who have any fond memories of them grows ever shorter.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 52 in 27 posts

But the motorcycle press will give acres of coverage to any future Norton bikes and there would be huge interest in Germany and the US. If you wanted to develop a new bike, owning the Norton brand gives you a massive marketing short cut. And I bet it's going bloody cheap.

Liked 11,290 in 5,896 posts

I've tweeted my mate Donny (POTUS) to see if he could sort Norton as it would be a monumental and historic kick off to anglo/american post brexit trade deals!

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Liked 751 in 516 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I've tweeted my mate Donny (POTUS) to see if he could sort Norton as it would be a monumental and historic kick off to anglo/american post brexit trade deals!
    Not a bad idea, as a catalyst alone use of Norton technology could drag Harley Davidson into the 19th Century. Progress indeed

11. The following user liked this post made by melons:

Liked 1,715 in 756 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Or really cares. The real Norton is dead, and has been for years. Someone may bring the name back to life, as has been done with Triumph, but even so, it won't be the old Norton, any more than current Triumph are the old Triumph.
    Yeah who cares, the real Norton is dead and has been for years, just like the real Triumphs and Minis are- what a complete waste of time bringing those brands back to life was for current bike/car buyers and Triumph/BMW shareholders alike eh...

Liked 8,240 in 4,652 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    Yeah who cares, the real Norton is dead and has been for years, just like the real Triumphs and Minis are- what a complete waste of time bringing those brands back to life was for current bike/car buyers and Triumph/BMW shareholders alike eh...
    Thank fuck my Mini and Triumph aren't made by the original name holders, they'd be shit.

Then again, my Mini engine is half Fronch and factory tuned to fuck, I'm convinced its about to blow up any second and my 'characterful' 800cc Triple is possibly the most boring bike I've ever owned and I've had loads of Honda's.

14. The following 2 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,590 in 1,547 posts
    Blog Entries

Mini is a 10,000 times bigger brand than Norton. You don't need to know a thing about cars to know what a Mini is. It's iconic.

Triumphs came back soon enough after dying the first time to still have a name IMO.

Liked 1,715 in 756 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    Mini is a 10,000 times bigger brand than Norton. You don't need to know a thing about cars to know what a Mini is. It's iconic.

Triumphs came back soon enough after dying the first time to still have a name IMO.
    And your point is?

Liked 4,227 in 2,833 posts
    Blog Entries

And your point is?
    Nortons are shit!

Liked 2,510 in 1,122 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Thank fuck my Mini and Triumph aren't made by the original name holders, they'd be shit.
    Oi

Liked 2,665 in 1,447 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post

The Norton is pretty iconic as well. The Mini is a "10,000 times bigger" brand than Norton because BMW is a "10,000 times bigger" company with a "10,000 times bigger" marketing budget than the new Norton.
    I doubt your average Mini owner, in the US at least, knows very much at all about the real Mini. They may know that it was British because of the large number of Minis in the showroom with the Union Jack covering the roof. Beyond that I doubt they know much at all unless they followed rallying or club racing in the '60s & '70s. Sports that remain obscure in the US to this day.

And your point is?
    A bit confused?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission