TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wear the right gear

Liked 3,632 in 2,409 posts

Default Re: Wear the right gear

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    if he landed almost vertically, head movement side-side or hyper-extension/flexion probably wasn't the problem, the forces may have gone directly into his spine, hence crushed verterbrae.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    The guy sustained compression fractures to six vertebrae, a broken sternum and a broken wrist. The compression fractures must have happened when he landed on his head. I'm not sure how an airbag can help with that. Plod said the airbag saved his life...perhaps he reckons that without an airbag there'd have been a broken spinal cord? I dunno. I think we need a doctor to answer that one.
    It could be that the sternum injury might have been worse, far worse. A single external chest compressions that would have ended his life.

It was a really weird collision, in that the stoppie probably saved his life by shooting him over the car. If he'd hit the roof edge, even the fastest airbag would have been only partially inflated. I suspect the chest or neck damage, coupled with decelerating from a combined speed of about 60mph, would have been fatal. .
    Not sure about the stoppie helping. Staying 'level', then standing/jumping could have worked equally well.

Is the combined impact speed relevant? If he'd hit a low wall and taken off, he would have continued forward at the his speed at impact, wouldn't he.

I've seen someone fall off a bike (at much lower speed). He was a martial arts type, and went into a forward roll then, without a pause, stood up unhurt.

I think the advice I heard years ago for the rest of us amateurs, is to look at your toes, so you curl. The only time I could have had the necessity to use that advice, I didn't remember it.

2. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 30 in 16 posts

The effect of impact speed depends on how you hit the roof edge. If it takes enough speed off, you die anyway because an instant stop from 40bhp bursts your organs. If you decelerate a little less savagely than that, and the impact has just broken your ribs, I imagine you get your organs being pushed into the bits of rib, perhaps causing fatal bleeding, heart failure, lung collapse etc.

As for standing and jumping, surely impossible because everything happened so fast. Look at the vid!

Really Bored
    Liked 408 in 271 posts

It's enough to make you think about giving up bikes.
    Much as I'd like to kid myself that I could have avoided the crash (tap the left bar for a counter-steer, glide smoothly along the verge then carry on), I doubt I could have done so. So my next attempt at rationalising carrying on with biking is to say that there's a residual risk that we all must accept, and that it's worth that risk for the pleasure that riding gives. And if that risk is reasonably small - as I believe it is if we do everything possible to manage the manageable risks - then it's reasonable to "carry on biking" (good title for a film? )

5. The following user liked this post made by Scootabout:

Liked 3,632 in 2,409 posts

As for standing and jumping, surely impossible because everything happened so fast. Look at the vid!
    Achievable. He had enough time to recognise the danger and react, so he potentially could have stood up or jumped - although with his weight on his arms he probably wouldn't have been able to.

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/...crash.html?m=0

Liked 7,816 in 4,443 posts

Ejector seat FTW!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,038 in 610 posts

Plod said the airbag saved his life
    IMHO that's unhelpful speculation given there's next-to-no real information out there about the abilities of airbag jackets.

It's enough to make you think about giving up bikes.
    Do the sums...

You're looking at the risk of injury IF you crash, vs the risk of crashing in the first place.

Between 1 and 2 million active motorcyclists in the UK travelling several billion miles.

Meanwhile, there are around 350 fatalities and about 3500 'serious' injuries (which include the consequences of crashes like this, a broken finger needing an operation, or even a night's kip in hospital 'under observation).

If you avoid being high-risk (ie, a new rider, a rider on a new bike, unqualified or disqualified, riding with your helmet unsecured or riding under the influence, and you avoid speeding in town), you significantly reduce your risk of becoming a statistic.

Lightning does strike, but not very often.

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission