TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Head on crash

Liked 1,085 in 556 posts

Default Re: Head on crash

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wossname View Post
    My 2P:

His speed wasn't excessive - 66 on the straight before the bend - hardly racing. Member of a Subaru club? So what? He likes cars. So do I. I've been driving quick Subarus since 1999 and still do - it's a car, that's all. "Racing line" - nonsense. "High- powered car - lord peserve us from enjoying those things. "Filming it?" Dash-cam, anyone? "Exceeding his ability" - I have another suggestion, which might sound familiar.

I suspect that this was one of those momentary lapses of concentration that happens to us all from time to time, but unfortunately the timing was disastrous. Simple things like checking your mirror at the wrong time (yes - in this case, possibly to see where his mate was, but eqaially likely just a routine check behind); changing stations on the radio; sneezing; looking at the view/totty/your reflection in the shop window; smiling at your wife. Usually we get away with it, but in this case his moment had horrendous consequences. I think that's all it was - he was momentarily distracted by something, and when his attention came back to the road, it was too late.

Hands up those who've never been distracted while driving/riding?
    yep, momentary lapse in concentration may be fine, as long as it doesn’t affect any other road users, otherwise a ‘momentary lapse in concentration’ = driving w/o due care or dangerous driving. I.e. Defined in law as “allowing the standard of driving to fall below that of a competent and careful driver” or ‘far below” in the case of dangerous.

As a road user, you are surely expected as a reasonable standard of driving to stay on your side of the road, he didn’t, makes no difference why he did it unless there was a reason such as a medical episode, a ‘momentary lapse of concentration’ when you seriously injure someone doesn’t cut it.

And the fact he’s driving a subaru doesn’t even come into the argument.

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Nordboy:

Liked 947 in 540 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordboy View Post
    yep, momentary lapse in concentration may be fine, as long as it doesn’t affect any other road users, otherwise a ‘momentary lapse in concentration’ = driving w/o due care or dangerous driving. I.e. Defined in law as “allowing the standard of driving to fall below that of a competent and careful driver” or ‘far below” in the case of dangerous.

As a road user, you are surely expected as a reasonable standard of driving to stay on your side of the road, he didn’t, makes no difference why he did it unless there was a reason such as a medical episode, a ‘momentary lapse of concentration’ when you seriously injure someone doesn’t cut it.

And the fact he’s driving a subaru doesn’t even come into the argument.
    I say this while defering to your profession, and I’m not really defending the driver, but I’m not sure you’re correct in this case. The definition of dangerous is for a standard of driving to fall far below that of a reasonably competent and careful driver, but rights of way violations happen all the time and don’t fall under the remit of dangerous. It’s perfectly possible that a reasonable and competent driver would make that same mistake as our Subaru driver. Dangerous driving generally implies a more deliberate act, an overtake on a blind bend, for instance, would not be a momentary lapse.

At Work
    Liked 240 in 144 posts

^^ that. "Far below"? The outcome - tragic tho it may be - doesn't define the error, Shirley? I also thought "dangerous" implied a lot more than just "something serious happened as a result" i.e. a deliberate act without regard for possible consequences. If a competent and careful driver sneezes and kills a child due to momentarily losing vision, does he become guilty of dangerous driving? W/O due care - yes, probably, as in this case, but I'm not sure that justifies throwing the book at him.

Subaru - I only mentioned it as some above seemed to regard that as significant.

Liked 2,456 in 1,098 posts

The police, CPS, and court will have looked at the footage leading up to the crash as well. It may well be that his standard of driving before the incident contributed to the dangerous driving charge and conviction

A Bit Bored
    Liked 36 in 19 posts

The road is on Streetview. You can find the corner with the lat and long from the dashcam. Here's the biker's point of view https://goo.gl/maps/krTMgr3xfUMdDvtw7

So, how would everyone have coped in that scenario?

I'd have been close to the left verge, extending my view. I'd have seen the car fractionally earlier. I'm a bit rusty at emergency stops, so on my non-ABS K1100RS I'd have ballsed up the braking, hit the Subaru windscreen and roof edge, wearing my non-airbag jacket, and died of chest injuries. I'm getting an airbag jacket soon and I think I might get a BMW S1000 with super duper ABS.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 36 in 19 posts

As for the offence, the driver admitted to causing serious injury by dangerous driving. And he stated to the police he was "driving as if he didn't care about anyone around him." https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime...-biker-1361754

Liked 4,144 in 2,779 posts
    Blog Entries

Who want to be chairman of a club full of morons anyway.

9. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:

Liked 2,456 in 1,098 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    Who want to be chairman of a club full of morons anyway.
    WiseBuddah?

11. The following 4 users liked this useful post by nidge:

At Work
    Liked 240 in 144 posts

As usual. there is apparently more detail in the background to this, which I wasn't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    The police, CPS, and court will have looked at the footage leading up to the crash as well. It may well be that his standard of driving before the incident contributed to the dangerous driving charge and conviction
    His previous driving,as filmed, seems to have supported the idea of DD.

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    As for the offence, the driver admitted to causing serious injury by dangerous driving. And he stated to the police he was "driving as if he didn't care about anyone around him."
    And that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission