TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I get a 2nd bike, and if so, what?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 37 in 20 posts

Default Should I get a 2nd bike, and if so, what?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I've got a barn find, 3000 mile K1100RS. Very pretty, very practical. I enjoy riding it but I think it needs £1200 on suspension upgrades to be fun. If I did that maybe I'd be more attached to it. https://imgur.com/DEQEn7Y

I want another bike, which could be a 2nd bike if I get something finicky, or I could sell the BM. What to get? It's the usual dilemma - how do you have fun on a bike if you don't wring its neck? I can't do track days all the time, I don't really like them anyway. I just want to thrash my bike around London and the South East and do a bit of light Eurotouring. I had to get rid of my Hayabusa because I'd be doing 150 on the A3 every week. The RSV Mille, ZX10 and MV 750 weren't so bad but they were still a self-discipline issue which could be resolved only by selling them or making them into track bikes. My most successful bikes, in terms of fun and mileage, were the 1100GS and 1150GS. But the Euan and Charlie factor became massively annoying. The current 1250GS would probably be ideal for me, but 16+ grand seems silly. For that money I'd want something exotic with carbon wheels.

Other considerations: I don't want to do maintenance. Don't have a garage. So I object to shaft drive. A friend of mine is a BMW technician. He can service anything, but it helps if it's a BM.

My shortlist so far:

Harley XR1200 ex-race bike. 0.4 hp per kilo, which is slightly more than my BM. Apparently these are massive fun on the road. I could have the GS-type satisfaction of chasing sports bikes and being very annoying...but on a Harley! What a fantastic notion! Maybe it's my perfect bike! Very cool to park up outside a cafe in Soho. Wimmins would throw their knickers at it. £7k-8k, would hold its value. https://ebay.us/jBqD49

Bimota YB11, the one with a Thunderace EXUP motor. 0.79 hp per kilo. Apparently very practical, for a Bimota. Probably enormous fun. But could be a self-discipline issue, and no electronic aids. Not that I've ever had those, but perhaps I should. Although the risk compensation factor means I would probably just have faster crashes. £6k for a nice one. Would depreciate heavily if I put miles on it. https://ebay.us/D7ZM6g

3rd gen S1000RR. 1.14 hp per kilo. Total nutter bastard but safe and easy to ride, allegedly. I have to experience this. Hopefully a test ride will make me see sense. £11k. Would depreciate heavily if I put miles on it.

S1000XR. 0.86 hp per kilo. Lots of torque, so probably accelerates nearly as hard as the above. Supposedly a good compromise, but still stupidly fast if we're realistic. £9k.

ZZR14 0.87 hp per kilo. Not sensible, but I like the idea of the recent snazzy version which has Ohlins and Akrap. A nice cuddly green thing. I would enjoy just staring at it. Would try not to do 150 more than strictly necessary. 10k for a lower mileage one than this: https://ebay.us/M26Ns7

R1200GS Adv LC. 0.56 hp per kilo. Sensible, good ABS, handy for pavements and steps, which can be useful in London. Quite good fun. Not exactly cheap. £12k https://ebay.us/HFy8qz

'06 Monster S4RS 0.73 hp per kilo.

I'll stop now, because I'm boring myself. No way anybody else will read all this.
    Last edited by nick h.; 17-01-20 at 02:03.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 93 in 39 posts

Default Re: Should I get a 2nd bike, and if so, what?

So let's see...
    1) You want another motorcycle that you can ride to its "full potential" without going stupidly fast and killing yourself in the process.
    2) It has to be low maintenance because you don't have a garage and/or you can't be arsed working on a bike outside all the time.
    3) You want a bike that will "stand out from the crowd" when you arrive at a London café. The sort of thing that makes other bikers stroke their chin and nod approvingly. Oh, and it must attract women.
    4) You might want to do a bit of touring on it, maybe.

An air-cooled two stroke is about as low maintenance as you can get. Both MZ (ETZ range) and Jawa (Type 640 and variations thereof) originally came with fully enclosed chain drive further reducing the need for maintenance. Both marques are famous for continuing to function despite huge amounts of apathy from their owners.
    I would also recommend the IZh Planeta 5. Late model (1998 - 2008 ) machines are pretty reliable and very easy to fix, once you've read the manual. (Я надеюсь, что вы читаете русский язык.) Comes with coolest V5 registration document ever!

With regard to my third point above the answer is simple - get a sidecar. I speak from personal experience.

However, going from the tone of your post and having carefully looked at your list of bikes (yes, I read the whole thing) I suspect your ego* will prevent you going for any of my suggestions. Go get yourself a second-hand V-Max. You can get a nice one for under £4000.

P.S. Having a bushy beard, open face helmet, tweed jacket, corduroy trousers, and brogues will endear you to the hipsters who frequent cafés. Brown leather panniers large enough to carry vinyl LPs are optional.

* If I am wrong then I humbly apologise and beg your forgiveness.

3. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Henry:

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,615 in 950 posts

Superduke 990

-End thread-

5. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Liked 1,613 in 942 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nick h. View Post
    My most successful bikes, in terms of fun and mileage, were the 1100GS and 1150GS. But the Euan and Charlie factor became massively annoying.
    R1150R? (or Rockster) - same handling, less of the AdventureGimp factor.

Other considerations: I don't want to do maintenance. Don't have a garage. So I object to shaft drive.

eh?? wut?? shaft drive is maintenance free. did you mean to write 'chain'??

A friend of mine is a BMW technician. He can service anything, but it helps if it's a BM.
    IF you're going to rely on him, then possibly a good idea not to irritate him.

My shortlist so far:

Harley XR1200 ex-race bike. 0.4 hp per kilo, which is slightly more than my BM. Apparently these are massive fun on the road. I could have the GS-type satisfaction of chasing sports bikes and being very annoying...but on a Harley! What a fantastic notion! Maybe it's my perfect bike! Very cool to park up outside a cafe in Soho. Wimmins would throw their knickers at it. £7k-8k, would hold its value. https://ebay.us/jBqD49

Bimota YB11, the one with a Thunderace EXUP motor. 0.79 hp per kilo. Apparently very practical, for a Bimota. Probably enormous fun. But could be a self-discipline issue, and no electronic aids. Not that I've ever had those, but perhaps I should. Although the risk compensation factor means I would probably just have faster crashes. £6k for a nice one. Would depreciate heavily if I put miles on it. https://ebay.us/D7ZM6g

3rd gen S1000RR. 1.14 hp per kilo. Total nutter bastard but safe and easy to ride, allegedly. I have to experience this. Hopefully a test ride will make me see sense. £11k. Would depreciate heavily if I put miles on it.

S1000XR. 0.86 hp per kilo. Lots of torque, so probably accelerates nearly as hard as the above. Supposedly a good compromise, but still stupidly fast if we're realistic. £9k.

ZZR14 0.87 hp per kilo. Not sensible, but I like the idea of the recent snazzy version which has Ohlins and Akrap. A nice cuddly green thing. I would enjoy just staring at it. Would try not to do 150 more than strictly necessary. 10k for a lower mileage one than this: https://ebay.us/M26Ns7

R1200GS Adv LC. 0.56 hp per kilo. Sensible, good ABS, handy for pavements and steps, which can be useful in London. Quite good fun. Not exactly cheap. £12k https://ebay.us/HFy8qz

'06 Monster S4RS 0.73 hp per kilo.

I'll stop now, because I'm boring myself. No way anybody else will read all this.
    I did.

Do you want a bike for riding? or a bike for investing in?

If the flying brick is keeping your 'normal' use satisfied - maybe try a classic of some sort? given that the bikes abilities will be less than modern machinery, you can thrash it at much lower speeds and it 'feels' a lot faster!

7. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 1,613 in 942 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    So let's see...
    1) You want another motorcycle that you can ride to its "full potential" without going stupidly fast and killing yourself in the process.
    2) It has to be low maintenance because you don't have a garage and/or you can't be arsed working on a bike outside all the time.
    3) You want a bike that will "stand out from the crowd" when you arrive at a London café. The sort of thing that makes other bikers stroke their chin and nod approvingly. Oh, and it must attract women.
    4) You might want to do a bit of touring on it, maybe.

An air-cooled two stroke is about as low maintenance as you can get. Both MZ (ETZ range) and Jawa (Type 640 and variations thereof) originally came with fully enclosed chain drive further reducing the need for maintenance. Both marques are famous for continuing to function despite huge amounts of apathy from their owners.
    I would also recommend the IZh Planeta 5. Late model (1998 - 2008 ) machines are pretty reliable and very easy to fix, once you've read the manual. (Я надеюсь, что вы читаете русский язык.) Comes with coolest V5 registration document ever!

With regard to my third point above the answer is simple - get a sidecar. I speak from personal experience.

However, going from the tone of your post and having carefully looked at your list of bikes (yes, I read the whole thing) I suspect your ego* will prevent you going for any of my suggestions. Go get yourself a second-hand V-Max. You can get a nice one for under £4000.

P.S. Having a bushy beard, open face helmet, tweed jacket, corduroy trousers, and brogues will endear you to the hipsters who frequent cafés. Brown leather panniers large enough to carry vinyl LPs are optional.

* If I am wrong then I humbly apologise and beg your forgiveness.

Forget what I said - this man knows the truth.

9. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 1,939 in 1,180 posts

Triumph Thunderbird 1600. Not stupidly fast, but not slow either.

11. The following user liked this post made by Makman:

Liked 7,985 in 4,544 posts

650 Interceptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 1,984 in 1,298 posts

When you wrote fun in London and the SE at low-ish speeds I thought 690 Duke/SMC or 790 Duke. Then you said light euro touring and spoiled it. TBF I'd do light touring on my 690, it's comfy, has a 150 mile tank range and will sit at 85 (on standard gearing) all day long and with a top box will do light luggage. But it's not a touring bike. What about a 1090 Adv? Big adventure type bike with the smell of red bull rather than wee. Or a Multistrada? Not slow though.

You started well at low speed fun bikes then went to volume 11 and S1000's and the like.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 37 in 20 posts

Thanks for all the help chaps. (I meant to say i don't like chain drive by the way. Doh!)

I had considered the V Max but it would be nice to do some cornering.

The Planeta 5 looks ideal. You can see where Ducati stole their clutch design from. https://youtu.be/HIOeWw-USAM But it's such hipster bait that I fear my coffee stops will be ruined by the attentions of youngsters in flat caps. Can you recommend something a little less modish?

The trouble with bikes is they're all a compromise. I really need ten or twenty to be satisfied. Duke 790 Adventure would probably be the considered choice, it's more than enough grunt really. But it's dull and ugly and I wouldn't want to stare at it.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 37 in 20 posts

A note on cafe etiquette: I don't really want to talk to other bikers. Posting here is as close as I want to get. I just want to talk to wimmin. Half the reason for having a bike is to get quickly to wherever they are and not have to worry about parking. And it's an excuse to have my own little race through London traffic, which I love as much as other people love track days. (Former courier, determined to be the fastest. If i have a trailie with wide bars i trim them.)

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,826 in 2,355 posts

You say you want to use a bike to it's full potential on the road, and yet all the bikes you list have big engines, if you want to use a bike to it's full potential on public roads buy a supermoto, you won't regret it.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 37 in 20 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    650 Interceptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It does tick lots of boxes but the hipsterism is off the scale. It's probably getting fashionable in Slough by now. Or even Bracknell. Hipsters have ruined everything. Fucking flat cap wankers. I'd rather have something they don't understand.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 37 in 20 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    You say you want to use a bike to it's full potential on the road, and yet all the bikes you list have big engines, if you want to use a bike to it's full potential on public roads buy a supermoto, you won't regret it.
    What about the Harley though? Much slower than a supermoto. And all the supermotos in London are ridden by twats with helmet cameras and open pipes. I agree with supermotos as a format - I supermoto'd my GeeEsses but nobody noticed because GeeEsses were boring then. Before Euan and Charlie shat on everything.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,406 in 2,540 posts
    Blog Entries

As said somewhere above, some form of 2T.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 37 in 20 posts

I don't know anything about them, but I've been reading about Jap race rep 250s and the RD500 and so on, and the prices have gone crazy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission