TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peterson on Equality

Liked 2,693 in 1,762 posts

Default Re: Jordan Peterson on Equality

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    a symptom of the number of females in the job, 5 percent I believe.
    Do you think that being 95% male, 37 years after the service was opened up to female recruits represents genuine equality of opportunity ?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,393 in 2,534 posts
    Blog Entries

What is the right percentage?

Using the fire service as an example. Should it be a 50/50 male/female split to mirror the general population? Or should it reflect the proportion of men or women who want to be a firefighter? Maybe 95% male to 5% female is right for the latter. How far down should the proportions go? Nationally? Divisionly? Stationly? Shiftly?

Liked 5,269 in 3,536 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Do you think that being 95% male, 37 years after the service was opened up to female recruits represents genuine equality of opportunity ?

It's not as if you need physical strength to be a firefighter, is it? I believe there are still no disabled firefighters. That's a disgrace.

4. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,393 in 2,534 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post

It's not as if you need physical strength to be a firefighter, is it? I believe there are still no disabled firefighters. That's a disgrace.

Physical strength isn't the only attribute needed, though there's plenty of strong enough women out there.

Liked 1,974 in 1,290 posts

That channel 4 interview is why he is a poster boy for the right. He comes with some theory on how things work and presents it clearly and with evidence. People on the left queue up to knock him down cos his ideas are dangerous to their world view ie that we are all equal. They don't let him finish, they put words in his mouth and generally make themselves look silly.

I don't think he is particularly right wing, but the right wing loves him as he runs rings around the left.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,485 in 910 posts

It's not as if you need physical strength to be a firefighter, is it?
    [Cathy Newman] So what you're saying is that all women are weak and feeble.

Liked 3,719 in 2,464 posts

On a US emergency services newsletter I received recently, it mentioned a fire fighter who was returning to work after a leg amputation. Presumably wearing a prosthetic, presumably had passed the fitness tests.

Liked 3,719 in 2,464 posts

Here you are, read the details and watch videos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fire...obile&ie=UTF-8

Liked 5,269 in 3,536 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Physical strength isn't the only attribute needed, though there's plenty of strong enough women out there.
    You're right, but on average, men are stronger than women. If one of your selection criteria is strength it's not surprising if you select more men than women. There are just more strong men to choose from than strong women.

Liked 278 in 160 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    Actually contrary to the stats, I absolutely believe there is equality of opportunity in terms of joining the fire services. I can’t think of a single obstacle in the way of anyone, filling out a form/webpage, doing the the exams and tests and joining up if they meet the required standards.

Liked 278 in 160 posts

What worries me most, and what is happening now, is that the levels are being lowered as shown above, not only in the physical tests, but now in the maths, reading and compression tests, and lets be honest the standards were never really that high to start with. I mean they gave me a bloody job. The fire service is an easy target, but really it can be substituted for the army/navy/RAF/police etc.

Liked 2,197 in 1,481 posts

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    A more contoversal figure is hard to find--so perfect for a General Mayhem thread.

I have a lot of time for what he says. However, I do have a problem with him. He has become a rockstar of the hard right, and of the reaction and against the extremes of liberalism. He thrives on preaching to the converted, and making the other side hate him. He is not really willing to listen and engage in dialogue or see the other side's point of view. In terms of reaching agreement and moving the agruments forwards, he does about as much as Trump does for fostering mutual respect between Republicans and Democrats.

It is nevertheless interesting to hear his points of view, unless you are aligned with the opposite camp, who--like many of his own followers--start from a position of automatic hatred of those who disagree.
    Just out of interest, why do you call him hard right?

Using the fire service as an example. Should it be a 50/50 male/female split to mirror the general population? Or should it reflect the proportion of men or women who want to be a firefighter? Maybe 95% male to 5% female is right for the latter. How far down should the proportions go? Nationally? Divisionly? Stationly? Shiftly?
    Who knows what the right figure is. But 95% looks skewed.
    The gen pop is not 50/50

You're right, but on average, men are stronger than women. If one of your selection criteria is strength it's not surprising if you select more men than women. There are just more strong men to choose from than strong women.
    We don't know how many apply, only how many are recruited.

Liked 278 in 160 posts

On what grounds do ‘they’ think that making public services reflect the communities they serve makes the service a better service. How does the colour of your skin or being male/female/trans make you better or worse at anything? I just don’t get the correlation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission