TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 221 of 706 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 10590

Thread: Corona Virus

Liked 3,089 in 2,215 posts

Default Re: Corona Virus

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by WelshDragon View Post
    UK being criticised by some for ‘slow response’ and ‘lack of testing’. Where does Sweden fit in with that then? They are neither in lockdown nor have they got a big testing programme......

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...demic-11966132
    (imo) Sweden is an infection disaster waiting to unfold.

2. The following user liked this post made by irie:

Liked 3,534 in 2,148 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post

From what I've read, the average Swede in the street isn't too happy about their country's response.

4. The following user liked this post made by moth:

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,890 in 1,143 posts

Quote Originally Posted by moth View Post
    From what I've read, the average Swede in the street isn't too happy about their country's response.
    Sweden, now twinned with Brazil.

Liked 2,031 in 1,233 posts

It is going to be a horrible mess. We will miss our blondes.

Liked 3,534 in 2,148 posts
    Blog Entries

Back in Blighty, any powers that the police had to actually police the pandemic have been stripped away.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

The message there is 'carry on doing what the fuck you like, the coppers can't do anything about it'

Liked 1,196 in 674 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Not saying it won't, but they reported their first case on Jan 30th (same as UK) and they have 180 deaths as oppose to our 1800. In terms of population they currently have 18 deaths per 1m of population against our 26 deaths per 1m.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,261 in 3,313 posts

One police chief, whose force had been caught in the eye of the storm caused by forces applying the powers differently, said on Tuesday the new laws had been “unclear”.
    Said no other police force in the land

Liked 3,891 in 2,012 posts

Quote Originally Posted by moth View Post
    Back in Blighty, any powers that the police had to actually police the pandemic have been stripped away.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

The message there is 'carry on doing what the fuck you like, the coppers can't do anything about it'
    Devon and Cornwall police had roadblocks out on day 1 of the 'lockdown'. I think I posted upthread somewhere that whilst I supported the intent (mainly cos I didn't want the place filling up with holiday makers!), I didn't see where in the legislation they had been given the power to act in the way they were acting. It will be interesting to see if any complaints come as a result of the way they dealt with things.

In other news, a local garden centre has declared that it's not going to comly with a notice to close as it considers itself an essential service. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-e...ost_type=share

I'll add that it's typical of the place, they have a habit of keeping the planning officers busy...

Liked 3,891 in 2,012 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
    Not saying it won't, but they reported their first case on Jan 30th (same as UK) and they have 180 deaths as oppose to our 1800. In terms of population they currently have 18 deaths per 1m of population against our 26 deaths per 1m.
    How does their population density compare to the UK I wonder? All of the scandiwegian countries I've visited seem to have a lot of space, even their cities are smaller than ours IME.

Liked 3,089 in 2,215 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
    The infection curve is typical, looks to be in an earlier infection stage.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,890 in 1,143 posts

Oh and although I'm not exactly sure how under pressure Cumbrias hospitals are under but I'm currently outside the local college where my daughter is picking up various bits of PPE (FPP1 masks, gloves and so on) to take to the local hospital.

Seems she has a contact there who says it's worth doing.

Liked 4,031 in 2,678 posts

Over the past two weeks, Vivacity have been monitoring the impact on road usage during the Covid-19 outbreak. By Wednesday 25 March, there had been a 60% reduction in traffic across the country. While some regions saw a quicker reduction in traffic numbers that others last week, since the lockdown on Monday 23 March, this reduction has been remarkably uniform from city to city, and from urban area to highway. Analysing the change by mode also yielded some interesting results:
    • Pedestrians saw the largest drop off at 80%
    • Car traffic dropped by 60%
    • Cyclists initially dropped very slowly, but since Monday have now dropped by 75%
    • Light Goods vehicles dropped by 45%
    • Initially there was no change seen in Motorbike or HGV volumes, but since Monday they have dropped by 65% and 40% respectively
    • Even buses have now dropped by 40% since the lockdown, indicating significant reductions in public transport services
    The results clearly presented a drop in total traffic, but also a modal shift towards home deliveries.

Michael Vardi from Valerann, the 2017 Intelligent Infrastructure Hub winner, has reported similar traffic level drops from Israel and Spain, where Valerann’s Smart Road System is also monitoring traffic movements.

In Oxfordshire, we decided to push the analysis further. Our sensor network here has not just been recording the volume of traffic, but also the path that each road user was taking across the space. We decided to post-process the data to calculate if social distancing measures were being followed.

Peds 2.jpg

Number of pedestrians passing within 2m of another pedestrian within the field of view of our 78 sensors in Oxfordshire per 5 minutes. Blue: Week commencing 8 March, Orange: Week commencing 15 March, Green: Week commencing 22 March. Data provided up to 24 March

Pedestrians.jpg

Example of measurement between pedestrians calculated with pedestrians coming within 2m of each other counted from stock footage. Red shows <2m; Yellow 2-3m; and green >3m

It has been discussed a lot in the media recently whether the government should be using mobile data to monitor social distancing. Many people are concerned that such an invasion of civil liberties might not be un-done once the crisis was over. This type of video analysis provides an alternative, which is non-invasive from a privacy perspective and offers a much higher resolution on the social distancing measurement. By using edge processing, no personal data is ever generated by the system - no videos are transmitted or stored, and the AI never knows who it saw. Instead we are able simply to acquire the data that is needed to help the Government make decisions on how its lockdown policy should adapt next.

Number of pedestrians passing within 2m of another pedestrian within the field of view of our 78 sensors in Oxfordshire per 5 minutes. Blue: Week commencing 8 March, Orange: Week commencing 15 March, Green: Week commencing 22 March. Data provided up to 24 March

The social distancing analysis showed that by 24 March, less than 48 hours after the Prime Minister announced a lockdown, peak daily pedestrian interactions had dropped by 70%, and the morning rush our peak was no longer disenable.

Liked 3,064 in 2,006 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I'm not slapping you down mate, I'm just saying we're all in it together.
    I also understand danger, pressure and stress - I used to dodge bullets for a living for less money than a hospital porter gets (and the hours were worse).

I'm not saying you're not valued, you are, have a clap from me

But so should other people, if you don't go to work it's a problem, if the boilerman in your hospital doesn't go to work then maybe the heating fails and hundreds die, but he isn't being clapped every Thursday.
    If the bloke stacking shelves at Asda doesn't go to work then you won't be having any dinner when you get home, and if the bloke in the bank doesn't do his job then you can't draw out any money or use your card to buy any food.

God bless you, thank you for your service, etc, but we all need each other, it's not NHS workers versus the rest of society.
    You could say the same about non-bullet-dodging squaddies, some of whom received a silent tribute from the public on their return through Brize Norton, others the support of Help for Heroes and similar. At least they signed-up knowing what they were likely to face. Acknowledging front-line service in the face of hazard is surely different to giving the bloke at Asda a pat on the back thunbsup from 2m away.

Liked 6,752 in 3,472 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    You could say the same about non-bullet-dodging squaddies...
    I actually am saying the same for everyone, as an ex-soldier who risked life and limb for you (you're welcome) I don't expect you to hero worship me any more than you hero worship the bloke that makes sure there is enough food on the shelves for you to eat.
    Like I said, this isn't about some people versus some people.

Btw, there are no non-bullet-dodging squaddies, IDF on Ops and domestic threats when you're not means that if you're in uniform, or even look like a squaddie, then you're a target.

Liked 3,064 in 2,006 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post

Btw, there are no non-bullet-dodging squaddies, IDF on Ops and domestic threats when you're not means that if you're in uniform, or even look like a squaddie, then you're a target.
    I meant the ones with holes in them, not REMFs.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission