TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 311 of 706 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321361411 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 10590

Thread: Corona Virus

Liked 5,283 in 2,565 posts

Default Re: Corona Virus

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savio Du Funk View Post
    Paid with debit card

Thanks folks. I'll try to rebook. Not opposed to rebooting per se, its just getting the dates ...

I'll also try my bank (Natwest)
    Failing that, mention you work for NHS, had had IT and have a twitter account..

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by chillitt:

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,890 in 1,143 posts

Thanks for that, for those who missed it it's an interesting and sobering read.
    I'm sure this sounds a bit shite and totally inadequate but take care.

Liked 3,089 in 2,215 posts

Paid with debit card

Thanks folks. I'll try to rebook. Not opposed to rebooting per se, its just getting the dates ...

I think what you want to know may be covered in this link, although to be fair it's a very old link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...ent-protection

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,378 in 2,291 posts

Paid with debit card

Debit card - no chance.

Your insurance probably won't cover it - mine didn't.

You could take them to the Small Claims Court - but if they do go bust you won't get your money.

I have a similar situation, hotel is saying you can't have your deposit back. I am saying I am legally entitled to it. A bit of posturing at the moment.

Liked 5,283 in 2,565 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Should be on all TRC members Must Read list.

First class insights as to what it is like on working on the front line.
    ..And be read out loud to anyone who fancies 'just popping out'...

7. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Should Get Out More Savio Du Funk's Avatar
    Liked 4,278 in 1,517 posts
    Blog Entries

Just by chance just received this text from the bank:

We hope you're safe and well. As your account includes travel insurance, we want to let you know claims caused by coronavirus for new trips booked on or after 18/03/2020 are not covered by your policy. Trips booked before 18/03/2020 are still covered. If you've any questions please read our FAQs at natwest.com/benefits

9. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Savio Du Funk:

Liked 729 in 300 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    TBH, the industry is about to die because of this shutdown. The whole travel/holiday industry. Many Tour Operators, travel providers and smaller businesses will go bust because they don't make the sort of money to cover the refunds requested. Much of their money is spent in advance of the holidays you book, and not much of it can be claimed back to enable them to refund you

The kindest thing to do is to accept the offer to rebook
    Thanks. Was gong to ask you about this, but that seems to have answered all the questions.

‘We won’t get a refund on our £17,000 chalet’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52206832

Liked 11,670 in 6,080 posts

Thanks to whoever said about Ryanair refunds needing to be left until the week before. We only had the option to rebook but now its within the week we got full refunds on all flights, or at least was able to make the application.

12. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,724 in 2,733 posts
    Blog Entries

Medical Ethics and Disability

A very good short article by Frances Ryan. I’ll not quote extracts lest they lose context.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...demic-disabled

It's a hideous thing to have to decide. There's always been rationing in the NHS and there's always been decisions like this to be made. Granted these are now exceptional times.

My skin in the game, to use that ugly expression:

My father who took 20 years to die of MS refused some treatments as he didn't think he was worth it. Not from a lack of self POV, but from a cost benefit analysis. Once an accountant, always an accountant. My mother holds much the same view, she's 85. Use the resources on someone younger. To be blunt I'm probably worth rescusitating but not if you have to spend too long doing it. I'm 56, healthy and vaguely useful, but I've children and a grandchild. They and their generation are more deserving.

These opinion pieces never seem to indicate what the writer would do, more what other should have done based on the writer's 20/20 hindsight.

So Korks, what would you do? From now on, with what you have, not what you might have had if things had been done differently.
    Last edited by cheb; 09-04-20 at 13:49. Reason: Adding more, I was interrupted by the postman

Liked 2,610 in 1,177 posts

So in summary

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    A load of highly thought provoking scenario illustrations, asking for a definitive call to action
    read a book

15. The following user liked this post made by nidge:

Liked 3,802 in 1,949 posts

Paid with debit card

My guess is that they will do all they can to work with you to get the dates you want. If it's a small business, then they will be gutted about this and their position as much as you are. In general, if you are calm and polite they really will help as much as they can, they just won't have the cashflow

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    This is similar to the place my wife works for. Customers have paid them, and Mrs place have paid the airline for example. If you've booked direct with the airline they are refunding, but in some/many cases they are telling agents to wait. In the meantime the customer is making legal threats to the agent who paid the airline in good faith and don't have the money to refund. In as many instances as possible they are trying to get people to re-book in the hope there is an industry left. I get the customer is worried about their money, but it's all a domino effect.
    This is the same for thousands and thousands of companies. For instance, here, most chalet companies rent the chalets for the season. They've lost 30% of earnings on that season (if they have to refund all the bookings) and the chance to sell any beds that hadn't sold prior to 14th March. They've also generally had to pay the rental up front or at least in parts finishing by Feb. Do you think the owners of the chalets will refund? Not a chance. So first they've cost 30% of costs they can't recover and then they are being asked to refund maybe 20-30% of turnover (depending on bookings)

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    Failing that, mention you work for NHS, had had IT and have a twitter account..
    I wouldn't recommend using the twitter account for this. They are offering the holiday at a later time. Depending on their T&Cs, they might not have to and might pull that offer if they are slated all over social media

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Debit card - no chance.

Your insurance probably won't cover it - mine didn't.

You could take them to the Small Claims Court - but if they do go bust you won't get your money.

I have a similar situation, hotel is saying you can't have your deposit back. I am saying I am legally entitled to it. A bit of posturing at the moment.
    Not sure on Deposits - might depend on the wording and if they cancelled or if you cancelled.

Just by chance just received this text from the bank:

We hope you're safe and well. As your account includes travel insurance, we want to let you know claims caused by coronavirus for new trips booked on or after 18/03/2020 are not covered by your policy. Trips booked before 18/03/2020 are still covered. If you've any questions please read our FAQs at natwest.com/benefits
    Hope you booked before. If you did and can claim it would be cool if you could let the operator know (especially if its a small company) as they will almost certainly be stressing out big time. One less customer to try and sort out/calm/appease (depending on the customer reactions so far) would ease their stress a smidge

Quote Originally Posted by Clanktank View Post
    Thanks. Was gong to ask you about this, but that seems to have answered all the questions.

‘We won’t get a refund on our £17,000 chalet’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52206832
    That story is causing huge issues because how many readers actually read the whole article? It does make comments about smaller businesses but the main bulk is slating the industry massively

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Thanks to whoever said about Ryanair refunds needing to be left until the week before. We only had the option to rebook but now its within the week we got full refunds on all flights, or at least was able to make the application.
    That will be because they have had to cancel rather than you cancelling. By leaving the booking, the onus is on them to cancel your flight and so they will refund much quicker

The government has been exceptionally backwards in offering any support for our industry and the Insurance companies are ducking the issue big time and putting it all back on the TOs. If ABTA and the government can't get a deal/package/help for this time for out industry it will be decimated

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,261 in 3,313 posts

Medical Ethics and Disability

A very good short article by Frances Ryan. I’ll not quote extracts lest they lose context.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...demic-disabled
    Meh, ain't nothing new, the NHS has denied certain procedures and resources to fatties and smokers for years n years. Every one of use has a £ value, always have always will.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,724 in 2,733 posts
    Blog Entries

George Best and his liver transplant;

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...icineandhealth

Liked 3,056 in 2,177 posts

Fuck. Just found out that one of my uncles is in here

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/n...irus-outbreak/

Liked 3,089 in 2,215 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    We had a Brittany Ferries crossing to Normandy booked for the 20th June and had paid a 25% deposit with 75% balance due to be taken on 20th April. Rather than allowing the balance to be taken then very likely having a long term battle to get the money back, we decided to cut our losses and cancelled losing the 25% deposit. Travelling on a car ferry will not an ideal place to be in June.

Normally June is a good time for us to be away, but if the lockdown is even partially lifted my wife's work will go ballistic soon after, so bye bye to our holiday.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission