TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Motorway Stats

Liked 3,866 in 2,559 posts

Default Re: Smart Motorway Stats

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    Any substantial obstruction in a 'live' carriageway is 999 isn't it?
    I call 999 when there's a dead deer on the road now and don't get told off for doing so.
    Nope, you're correct, they will be happy to take your call as a live lane obstruction is treated as an emergency.

But who do you think the police then contact to put on the signals? Those numbers (particularly the HE one, not certain about the others) will cut out the middleman.

Better still, if you can use the motorway emergency phone, then it will identify your location (road, carriageway and distance) too. Alternatively, on motorways, that information is every 500m on a blue sign and every 100m on the white posts (including an arrow to point you to the nearest emergency phone.

But as I said, how can you be certain whether the English motorway you're on is HE-controlled? < Carefully worded as a dead deer on a Scottish back road might not fit all the criteria

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,524 in 941 posts

999 works in either locality!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,532 in 2,619 posts
    Blog Entries

As does 112 and 911. At least I'm lead to believe they do.

Calling the police non-emergency number can require an extensive wait. If you're there, then you are best placed to decide whether it's a life-threatening emergency. If so, then 999 (or other real emergency number).

There are some stories that other numbers will work (ie network access) when 999 won't, but 999 calls work whichever network provider you have access all networks, but only if there is coverage.

Liked 1,641 in 959 posts

Something I only learned recently is that the variable speed limits (down to 40) are now controlled by algorythms presumably in response to automated vehicle counting feeds rather than by eyeballs on monitors (until the system flags up a particularly bad situation).

Not sure how I feel about that tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Something I only learned recently is that the variable speed limits (down to 40) are now controlled by algorythms presumably in response to automated vehicle counting feeds rather than by eyeballs on monitors (until the system flags up a particularly bad situation).
    There's a system called MIDAS which controls a lot of the messages displayed, such as the 60 or 40 advisory speeds and queue ahead messages. That can be triggered by a plug of traffic building when an hgv overtakes another. Usually operated by loops buried in the road surface.

I don't know about the variable speed limits, but that will be something similar.

More recently, there are roadside radars (grey plastic box on a pole) to count traffic. Saves cutting slots in new road surfaces.

rather than by eyeballs on monitors (until the system flags up a particularly bad situation).

Given the recent concerns about possible lack of CCTV monitoring, 'reassured'?

Liked 1,524 in 941 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    As does 112 and 911. At least I'm lead to believe they do.
    999 and 112 have to work on all mobile networks in the EU since 2002 (well before that in the UK)
    If 911 is required to work it must be a fairly recent* thing as it certainly wasn't in the regs when I was working in it.

*well, maybe the last 16 years as that's the last time I worked for a telecoms regulator

Liked 1,524 in 941 posts

I'm much happier with the displays being determined (ordinarily) by algorithm than operator.
    The lag is likely to be less, as is the reset...at least I hope it would be.

Liked 2,524 in 1,303 posts

I'd kinda assumed this was the case all along. Traffic flow wisdom says that if you reduce vehicle speeds as congestion builds, drivers reduce gaps between cars which stops bunching and increases road capacity. Not hard to do that automatically in this day and age.

But that's not the problem, the problem is what happens when somebody stops in a live lane because there's no safety lane for them to pull over into.

11. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I'd kinda assumed this was the case all along. Traffic flow wisdom says that if you reduce vehicle speeds as congestion builds, drivers reduce gaps between cars which stops bunching and increases road capacity. Not hard to do that automatically in this day and age.
    Yup, more traffic on a section of road, plus smoother flow because there can be less speeding up /slowing down - also reduced emissions.

But that's not the problem, the problem is what happens when somebody stops in a live lane because there's no safety lane for them to pull over into.
    Yup, like on dual carriageways - where there isn't any automatic queue protection either.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,166 in 3,240 posts

Shame it doesn't work.

Liked 1,641 in 959 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Given the recent concerns about possible lack of CCTV monitoring, 'reassured'?

Not really - given that the automated systems won't recognise a broken down car on the side of the road.

Not really - given that the automated systems won't recognise a broken down car on the side of the road.
    If they were designed to, but didn't, then fair enough. But MIDAS isn't, it's designed to count traffic and set signals.

Instead, obstruction detection is what the Mk 1 eyeball is for, typically one or (usually) two per driver.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Shame it doesn't work.
    You do know about things like following distances, and the relationship between speed and stopping distances? Same amount of traffic travelling more slowly = better separation (not physically longer, but more appropriate distances) between vehicles.

How do you think that 'doesn't work'?

And as for bunching, watch this:

And listen to this:

It may not work as well as you'd like, but it does work.

17. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission