TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Smart Motorway Stats

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,057 in 623 posts

Default Re: Smart Motorway Stats

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    So educate me: how can a S2 person predict something a S1 person can't?
    You know the answer as well as I do (not least because I've already stated it half a dozen times on this thread)... stop teaching people that if they do all the right things, nothing will go wrong. It's what virtually ALL our road safety aims at, and it's the wrong solution. The answer seems to be modest skills levels combined with a better understanding of how things go wrong, and how to avoid those errors (if possible) and recover from those errors (where you can't).

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,057 in 623 posts

Default Re: Smart Motorway Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Same challenges as I've asked someone else (and who you are aware of), two situations which often go spectacularly wrong:

- Impact Protection Vehicle; they're massive - almost 5m high - lights and signs, retroreflective everywhere. But people still drive into them. What can S2 offer that S1 hasn't tried? [I have an idea, but haven't been allowed to try it]

- Breakdown and recovery vehicles; again, several incidents every year. What can S2 offer?

So, give me some solutions, or a way of thinking that you think we should be trying that we haven't already.
    I'll see what I can think of, but I'd start from the angle of investigating just why drivers don't avoid them, which means avoiding falling back on the 'too fast' or 'not looking properly' blame game. For example, I know that emergency vehicles use fewer lights than they used to because the idea that covering them in flashy things actually made it difficult for drivers to judge their distance. There have also been significant changes in hi-vis patterning, and they no longer park square on, but at an angle which makes it easier to detect that a vehicle is stationary on the carriageway than the old end-on position.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission