TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Smart Motorway Stats

Liked 3,735 in 2,474 posts

Default Re: Smart Motorway Stats

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    one of the benefits (?) claimed for the triangle of lights arrangement
    Or, on a GS I saw on Saturday, the pentagon of lights . . .

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,058 in 624 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    However, there is continual criticism that the safety industry doesn't 'keep up'. As I said "we already do 'pre-mortems' by looking at where things might go wrong. We just don't use that term." It gets a bit galling when I'm continually being told to do something that we've been doing for years.
    Stop taking it personally.

You forget you're at the cutting edge with access to resources I can only dream of and the vast majority of safety practitioners are totally unaware of. The police delivering BikeSafe*, the IAM and RoSPA guys delivering their syllabuses, the DfT and DVSA recently revising their content for CBT are not "doing this for years" - they're barely shifting at all.

The frustrating thing is that we're still being told on a daily basis that if we use DRLs and hi-vis we'll be 'safe' on two wheels despite there being little credible positive evidence for this 'Magpie Theory', and an increasing amount of work that finds that many of the papers from 30-40 years back which are still called upon to prop up the 'right bright' approach are unreliable.

* although BikeSafe Met are now talking about pink hi-vis - I wonder where they got that from?

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    You mean 'new' in that it's been routinely overlooked by S1-based approaches even though the original research is two and a half decades old?

If that's what you mean, then yes it's 'new'.
    I can't speak for the whole industry, either on using that approach or how well it's done when it is used. However, a Google search for "hazard log" give over 31000 results and, as you saw, the example I gave was from 2007. Searching "hazard log" 2001 gives over 10000 results!

I'd guess that S2 isn't used perfectly or appropriately every time either. An acquaintance of yours was on Linkedin today pointing out that an implementation of Just Culture wasn't being used correctly - despite it seemingly following Reason's original questioning plan.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,058 in 624 posts

I can't speak for the whole industry, either on using that approach or how well it's done when it is used. However, a Google search for "hazard log" give over 31000 results and, as you saw, the example I gave was from 2007. Searching "hazard log" 2001 gives over 10000 results!

I'd guess that S2 isn't used perfectly or appropriately every time either. An acquaintance of yours was on Linkedin today pointing out that an implementation of Just Culture wasn't being used correctly - despite it seemingly following Reason's original questioning plan.
    No approach is either foolproof, nor proof from misuse, and I'm less interested in nailing down specifics, than changing overall perceptions. Just the other day on my FB page I was having a bit of a debate with an instructor who insisted that the riders he trained were 'safe' and that it was other drivers who were "out to kill them". I pointed out that most fatalities involve cornering and overtaking on the open road where the rider makes the mistake, with a side-order of high speed junction collisions on rural roads where the rider's lack of understanding of the crash at least contributes.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 70 in 47 posts

Cool Re: Smart Motorway Stats

Forget pink hi-viz, itís so last season.

This seasonís bikers will be wearing conspicuity boots

O m f g

Amusingly, if you follow the 'complete the look', it takes you to a selection of mainly black gear

Reminds me of my mate Jerry, his wet weather gear was a set of plain yellow jacket and trousers, with black lid, gloves and boots. He described himself as looking like a 'bruised banana'.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,132 in 2,131 posts

Amusingly, if you follow the 'complete the look', it takes you to a selection of mainly black gear

Reminds me of my mate Jerry, his wet weather gear was a set of plain yellow jacket and trousers, with black lid, gloves and boots. He described himself as looking like a 'bruised banana'.
    Sounds like my BMW boil-in-the-bag rainsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Sounds like my BMW boil-in-the-bag rainsuit.
    My old, late, mate Bedubya had some ex-oilrig workers waterproofs, which included a long white coat*. He called it his 'milkman outfit'

* Complete with some irremovable smears of Brent crude.

Liked 2,707 in 1,774 posts

Or, on a GS I saw on Saturday, the pentagram of lights . . .
    ftfy

The devil drives, 'til the hearse arrives ...

11. The following user liked this post made by slowsider:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission