TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: New (old) work shop - roof insulation?

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default New (old) work shop - roof insulation?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Moving house next Friday, and my new garage has a tin pitched roof, and thinking of ways to insulate it on the cheap?

Thought's are - fixing polystyrene sheet to, or in between the joists? Or bubble wrap if it's too expensive

Doesn't need to be too fancy as it's two storey (sort of - not full head height) but would be nice to keep it warmer..

Ta.

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 670 posts

Default Re: New (old) work shop - roof insulation?

Sheeps wool?

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidat19 View Post
    Sheeps wool?
    Nail the sheep up by their legs?

Really Bored
    Liked 910 in 670 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Llani View Post
    Nail the sheep up by their legs?

Thats a little cruel. Just wire them up accross their tummys

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,844 in 1,112 posts

Id usually go with Kingspan or Cellotex (same difference really) sheets cut about 10mm smaller than the gaps, held in place by nails then using a builders foam gun (the cans with the built in nozzle are shite for working unside down above head height) I'd foam all the gaps to get a really good airtight seal. It makes a mess but dead easy to cut off with an old handsaw or even better an occilating multicutter is neater.
    Then a plastic membrane (sealed with tape on every joint) so water vapour can't get into the insulation and condense out at the dewpoint causing the timbers to rot.
    Then maybe plywood, OSB or plasterboard to provide something more pleasing to the eye/measure of fire resistance.

Thats what I do in houses anyway.

Squirty foam melts polystyrene if I remember it right so that mix is out.

Liked 1,055 in 582 posts

As it is a tin roof spray foam may be an option. Demo has the right solution but it's a lot of hassle for you. Spray foam may work out cheaper. Just google spray foam insulation. Just check all the roof trusses are in good order first as they will never be seen again if you spray it

KorkyKat

I had exactly the same problem last summer. Warm air hitting the cold tin roof caused condensation to drip on to the floor and my bike! Couldn’t afford to have it covered in expensive foam by a contractor.

Here’s what I did.

Spent ages on the top of the roof sealing all the fixing bolts with a flexible sealant - Everbuild Black Jack

Next I double lined the inside with bubble wrap fastened to the bottom of the joists. Taped and sealed up to the joists.

Then I covered the bubble wrap with thin ply that was covered in a water resistant paper which I have had for years. This was then taped to the joists.

To date, fingers crossed, there has been no sign of condensation especially given the appallingly wet and freezing weather we have had.

I also had to go around all the bases and seal any loose joints between the concrete panels as it had flooded out on one occasion.

Glad I sealed the roof. No sign of drips. Worth doing well because the wind can get below the metal sheets and loosen the retaining bolts.

I also fitted some old but in good condition carpet tiles to the concrete floor.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Thanks for the ides - been busy moving in...

I’ll see what some options cost and post some pics (when we have broadband..)

Liked 85 in 59 posts

I used an old carpet on mine, glued the rubber side to the tin, still going strong after years.

KorkyKat

Quote Originally Posted by phil1250 View Post
    I used an old carpet on mine, glued the rubber side to the tin, still going strong after years.
    An excellent idea Phil’. At a pinch I suppose rubber floor underlay would also be suitable.

11. The following user liked this post made by KorkyKat:

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    I had exactly the same problem last summer. Warm air hitting the cold tin roof caused condensation to drip on to the floor and my bike! Couldn’t afford to have it covered in expensive foam by a contractor.

Here’s what I did.

Spent ages on the top of the roof sealing all the fixing bolts with a flexible sealant - Everbuild Black Jack

Next I double lined the inside with bubble wrap fastened to the bottom of the joists. Taped and sealed up to the joists.

Then I covered the bubble wrap with thin ply that was covered in a water resistant paper which I have had for years. This was then taped to the joists.

To date, fingers crossed, there has been no sign of condensation especially given the appallingly wet and freezing weather we have had.

I also had to go around all the bases and seal any loose joints between the concrete panels as it had flooded out on one occasion.

Glad I sealed the roof. No sign of drips. Worth doing well because the wind can get below the metal sheets and loosen the retaining bolts.

I also fitted some old but in good condition carpet tiles to the concrete floor.
    thought of bubble wrap. worked on caravans for long enough..

its the second floor so shouldnt get too much condensation (I hope)

Liked 85 in 59 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    An excellent idea Phil’. At a pinch I suppose rubber floor underlay would also be suitable.
    No idea mate but cannot see why not, but maybe the carpet side keeps it cool in the summer and warm in the winter, or maybe I just got lucky.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission