TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Secateurs

Liked 101 in 64 posts

Default Secateurs

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My secateurs are pretty much buggered! Any recommendations for ones that’ll last a long time and any tips on how to keep them pristine appreciated. Ta.

Liked 5,026 in 2,433 posts

Default Re: Secateurs

Felco. A daub of 3in1 occasionally.

Liked 101 in 64 posts

Ta. I’ll have a look on t’internet tomorrow.

Liked 2,620 in 1,625 posts

Another one for Felco. Expensive but will outlive you. I’ve had my No. 2 for 20 years and have not needed to sharpen them once and they get heavy use. Spares are available and you can even send them back to Falco to be sharpened or serviced.

https://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/categ...eurs/L109~L109

5. The following user liked this post made by KorkyKat:

Liked 101 in 64 posts

I didn’t realise when I posted this request for some suggestions that I might never get out into the garden ever, ever again given the weather. I think the plants are likely to die of drowning before they’ll ever need a secateur anywhere near them.

Liked 101 in 64 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Another one for Felco. Expensive but will outlive you. I’ve had my No. 2 for 20 years and have not needed to sharpen them once and they get heavy use. Spares are available and you can even send them back to Falco to be sharpened or serviced.

https://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/categ...eurs/L109~L109
    How do you find them in the hand? I sometimes end up with blisters from cutting, even with gloves on. Are these likely to be kind to my “soft velvety lady hands?” 😂

I’m the same. I have literally loads to prune and cut back. I’ve stopped worrying about them being frozen or drowning. If they survive that means they are toughies. Nature has a marvellous habit of sorting out the weak from the strong.

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDragon View Post
    How do you find them in the hand? I sometimes end up with blisters from cutting, even with gloves on. Are these likely to be kind to my “soft velvety lady hands?” 😂
    Superb! I have very thin skin due to a number of factors; age, diabetes, psoriasis etc and I find them very, very comfortable. They also cut even thick branches without too much effort. I never wear gloves. But...you have to be careful when holding branches with lots of flowers. Last year I was cutting back some hydrangeas. The flower heads concealed my hand. Nearly cut off my bloody finger! They are sharp!

Liked 101 in 64 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Superb! I have very thin skin due to a number of factors; age, diabetes, psoriasis etc and I find them very, very comfortable. They also cut even thick branches without too much effort. I never wear gloves. But...you have to be careful when holding branches with lots of flowers. Last year I was cutting back some hydrangeas. The flower heads concealed my hand. Nearly cut off my bloody finger! They are sharp!

Yes I had a similar experience with some arm's length loppers. My brain seemed to forget that my other hand was holding the branch down that I was trying to cut! It was one of those 'senior moments' because it made absolutely no sense at all why I would have put my hand where I did!

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission