TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

  1. #16
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    22,658
    Like
    2,793
    Liked 3,735 in 2,474 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Is it too soon to suggest that it's suffering from an extended pub lunch?

  2. The following user liked this post made by Horse:


  3. #17
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,686
    Like
    426
    Liked 7,976 in 4,537 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but when using wireshark, is your nic set to promiscuous mode and are you connected to a port on a switch with mirroring enabled, if not it's going to tell you fuck all.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:


  5. #18
    A Bit Bored phil1250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    119
    Like
    182
    Liked 65 in 42 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    So any answer to this problem yet.

  6. #19
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,870
    Like
    1,119
    Liked 1,472 in 1,051 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Have you tested while they're reporting slow running?
    Yes, i get good 40 odd meg but the pages will still take a long time to load!

    I was in there last week, upgraded server to server 2016 which has not solved any problems, the network switch did not turn up so i'm thinking this could still be the issue. I am back there tomorrow to fit the switch (if it's arrived) i shall report back with my resolve, hopefully!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack
    FWIW I have had similar problems, again only towards the end of the day, in Citizens Advice which shares a LA network. No idea of the technical stuff on the network, but after about 3 pm we kept getting time-outs and 'no internet' errors on our database.
    Did you ever get the issue resolved?

  7. #20
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,686
    Like
    426
    Liked 7,976 in 4,537 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Yes, i get good 40 odd meg but the pages will still take a long time to load!
    Sounds like a DNS problem to me.

    On a test machine try using the Google DNS servers.

  8. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:


  9. #21
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,870
    Like
    1,119
    Liked 1,472 in 1,051 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Sounds like a DNS problem to me.

    On a test machine try using the Google DNS servers.
    Done this when LA came out to look at it originally, 8.8.8.8 used for DNS but no resolve.

    It's the fucking strangest and most annoying issue ever.

    I still recon it's an LA routing issue as it's starting to happen in another school now too!

  10. #22
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,686
    Like
    426
    Liked 7,976 in 4,537 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Done this when LA came out to look at it originally, 8.8.8.8 used for DNS but no resolve.

    It's the fucking strangest and most annoying issue ever.

    I still recon it's an LA routing issue as it's starting to happen in another school now too!
    If they move away from the LA, do not use Schools Broadband, they're a proper shower of shit.

    Big network changes made during half term, all the Schools re-open today and the filtering platform (NetSweeper) falls flat on it's face.

  11. #23
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,870
    Like
    1,119
    Liked 1,472 in 1,051 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    If they move away from the LA, do not use Schools Broadband, they're a proper shower of shit.

    Big network changes made during half term, all the Schools re-open today and the filtering platform (NetSweeper) falls flat on it's face.
    As it happens Netsweeper is the filtering system both LA's i work in use.

    Strange though as each have set it up different. I have to install client agents to all physical clients at one LA, the other uses an agent service that runs on the server only and links into Active Directory for filtering levels.

    It's the latter setup in the offending school, but it's just a service that is running fine, so that wasn't the issue either.

    The school is actually not reporting any problems today but i bet come 2pm i shall get a call!

    edit - i have actually investigated pulling away from LA Internet service but the prices are massively higher, 4-5k higher than what they pay LA and there is also the GDPR and 'new service' factor that scares off schools from trying anything new ever!

  12. #24
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,686
    Like
    426
    Liked 7,976 in 4,537 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    As it happens Netsweeper is the filtering system both LA's i work in use.

    Strange though as each have set it up different. I have to install client agents to all physical clients at one LA, the other uses an agent service that runs on the server only and links into Active Directory for filtering levels.

    It's the latter setup in the offending school, but it's just a service that is running fine, so that wasn't the issue either.

    The school is actually not reporting any problems today but i bet come 2pm i shall get a call!

    edit - i have actually investigated pulling away from LA Internet service but the prices are massively higher, 4-5k higher than what they pay LA and there is also the GDPR and 'new service' factor that scares off schools from trying anything new ever!
    We're trying to get everyone on to the Wagent (as NetSweeper call it). The Server based agent just updates the AD groups and it only runs once a day and usually at night, so users created during the day need a call to SBB for a Directory Sync run.

    Are you on Edugeek?

  13. #25
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,870
    Like
    1,119
    Liked 1,472 in 1,051 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    We're trying to get everyone on to the Wagent (as NetSweeper call it). The Server based agent just updates the AD groups and it only runs once a day and usually at night, so users created during the day need a call to SBB for a Directory Sync run.

    Are you on Edugeek?
    Used to be but not been on there for about 10 years.

    Yeah it's the wagent i have to deploy, and they bring out updates all the bloody time. Think i have deployed about 7 different versions via MSI

  14. #26
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,686
    Like
    426
    Liked 7,976 in 4,537 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Used to be but not been on there for about 10 years.

    Yeah it's the wagent i have to deploy, and they bring out updates all the bloody time. Think i have deployed about 7 different versions via MSI
    I had one school roll it out over SCCM rather than GP, the MSI had been built with an incorrect reboot switch, which when rolled out via GP waits for the user to reboot, but when rolled out via SCCM just forces a reboot.

    The School were livid when every machine rebooted, often with student/teachers half way through a piece of work.

    I had to bite my tongue, who the fuck rolls something out to all devices without testing it on a sample group first!

  15. #27
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    16,837
    Like
    1,348
    Liked 3,822 in 2,353 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Yes, i get good 40 odd meg but the pages will still take a long time to load!
    Do they use a proxy server or online proxy service?

  16. #28
    Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Down in the Duchy (at last)
    Posts
    17,387
    Like
    5,068
    Liked 3,132 in 2,131 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    Did you ever get the issue resolved?
    No, but with the quality of our (remote) IT bod, interfacing with the Council IT people, I was not hopeful. It seems to have gone away, but resolved is too strong a word.

  17. #29
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,870
    Like
    1,119
    Liked 1,472 in 1,051 posts

    Default Re: Windows Network Internet Slows to a halt at end of day!

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Do they use a proxy server or online proxy service?
    Nope no proxy at all in that LA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission