TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Ultra cautious guy trying to convince the wife it's not that bad

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Talking Ultra cautious guy trying to convince the wife it's not that bad

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I live in Hong Kong. I estimate drivers to be about the same level of stupid as the UK. However, the weather's better and speeds are lower. In general, I think it's safer.

Bike's make a lot of sense here: I can avoid Coronavirus and cut journey times but 2-3x. I can even get to places at times when I wouldn't otherwise even be able to, which is very attractive.

If the virus ever abates I'm going to cut usage to 1-2x a week at maximum.
    I've ridden bikes on holiday around Asia and have about 3 months of experience.

How dangerous is this? Is there any way I can convince my wife this isn't a death sentence?

Liked 3,799 in 1,947 posts

Default Re: Ultra cautious guy trying to convince the wife it's not that bad

Mornin!

In my limited experience, people who think bikes are dangerous don't change their minds!!

Maybe you can compromise by doing extra training courses? Get a small ish bike so it 'seems' less dangerous?

I'm sure guys who've actually persuaded their OH's of this will be along soon!!

Liked 4,027 in 2,675 posts

Quote Originally Posted by jago25 View Post
    I estimate drivers to be about the same level of stupid as the UK.
    But your wife thinks the same about you? Most riders don't die from bike crashes, but there's no doubt that if it goes wrong you're vulnerable. You can choose whether to increase the risk (filtering at warp speed) and how to manage situations.

I can avoid Coronavirus
    Do you mean by avoiding public transport? There are plenty of other precautions you'll still need to take, hand washing, not touching your face, etc, when you arrive at your destination.
    Last edited by Horse; 16-02-20 at 10:49.

Liked 3,799 in 1,947 posts

Oh, and welcome

5. The following user liked this post made by Noggin:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 334 in 210 posts

Some of the trainers will be along soon to answer.

Motorcycles are not a death sentence. Sooner or later most people do come off, and even have the ocassional collision, and if that happens in traffic bets are off: usually you are OK but there is always a chance you will not be.

Being inexperienced is a big risk factor.

In terms of tips which might actually be useful, I would highly recommend reading past posts going back years on this forum. There are several trainers who contribute here, the most active ones being user names Horse and The Spin Doctor, and they have a lot of useful and sane things to say about motorcycle safety.

Being over-cautious is not always good, and riding in the gutter is a terrible habit. Some sense of command of your road space is helpful. Being confident and in control is good--up to a point. There is a fine line between staying in control of the machine and your situation, and being over-confident and missing mistakes made by self and others. Once you have learned the confidence and skill to feel in control and to make a passenger feel safe, perhaps you can get your wife on the back of the bike for short trip so what she is visualising is not so wild. One passenger commented to me recently, 'I never felt in danger.' Admittedly another passenger I took recently did go down when I dropped a rental bike more or less stationary (a bike with a passenger is of course more unstable in stop-start traffic), although that was actually a plus because she learned that falling does not normally cause a catastrophe of being trapped under a heavy machine.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,638 in 1,025 posts

Become a motorcyclist and you will die.
    Don't become a motorcyclist and you will still die.
    It's nice that your wife cares.

Liked 5,498 in 3,704 posts

Welcome Jago. And beware of the hedgehog.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    Oh, and welcome
    Oh! Too late.

9. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 65 in 34 posts

The trouble with hot countries is that you don't wear protective gear. Thai hospitals have lots of patients who are there for months having painful skin grafts because they had a crash which they would have walked away from if they'd been wearing leathers.

Really Bored
    Liked 411 in 273 posts

Remember that certain situations carry more risk: filtering, junctions, queues of traffic (u-turn risk). Keep your speed down and your wits about you. Get to know what sort of moves drivers will tolerate and which ones piss them off. Avoid the latter. Road rage doesn't help safety. You'll know your wife trusts you when she stops asking about the riding. Then you'll get annoyed that she doesn't seem to care any more

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,258 in 3,310 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    Mornin!

In my limited experience, people who think bikes are dangerous don't change their minds!!
    Thank buggery for that, I don't think I'd bother riding if'n it wasn't dangerous.

13. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 65 in 34 posts

You'll be needing something like this http://www.roadtrooper.com/bmw-motor...g-vest-review/

Liked 4,437 in 2,218 posts

The fact that the vast majority of the users on here are over 40 or even 50 kind of suggests all motorcyclists dont die straight away.

The comment about protective clothing in hot countries is also valid...... gravel rash hurts at low speed while wearing a t shirt and brings months of painful treatment, crash and slide at 70-80 mph in full leathers and helmet and you can stand up and walk away as long as you dont hit anything along the slide

16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bigyin:

Liked 3,087 in 2,213 posts

I live in Hong Kong. I estimate drivers to be about the same level of stupid as the UK. However, the weather's better and speeds are lower. In general, I think it's safer.

Bike's make a lot of sense here: I can avoid Coronavirus and cut journey times but 2-3x. I can even get to places at times when I wouldn't otherwise even be able to, which is very attractive.

If the virus ever abates I'm going to cut usage to 1-2x a week at maximum.
    I've ridden bikes on holiday around Asia and have about 3 months of experience.

How dangerous is this? Is there any way I can convince my wife this isn't a death sentence?
    My wife didn't think bikes were dangerous. She then passed her test and got her own bike. She fell off it a couple of times and knows that everybody else on the road wants to kill her. She now knows that bikes are dangerous.

Liked 8 in 5 posts

- Get great protective clothes.
    - Don't get a bike that looks fast or dangerous.
    - Don't get a bike that "IS" fast or dangerous.
    - Do advanced training.
    - Don't ride fast and be careful.
    - Keep your bike in excellent working condition (tyres, tyre pressures, mechanics etc.).
    - Ride defensively and don't race around or take big risks.
    - Don't ride in bad weather or if you do be extra extra careful.
    - Be very careful if/when filtering and at junctions (you are much less visible to car drivers).

I know motorbiking is more dangerous than not motorbiking but I really think if you are careful it's not so bad and nowhere near as bad as non-riders think.

19. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Claud 147:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission