TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Floods: Hereford-Wales-Yorkshire

Liked 2,758 in 1,722 posts

Default Floods: Hereford-Wales-Yorkshire

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Just been watching the devastating damage done to homes, family possessions and businesses. A truly terrible tragedy more-so for those who lost their lives. Very sad indeed.

I don’t understand how they ever allowed properties to be built on a flood plain? Surely, we can’t be that short of land?

As for the politician who said people will have to adapt and not furnish their lower levels with carpets. I’m sure that will come as no comfort to those watching their refrigerator and treasured photographs floating in their home.

Awful.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 5,053 in 2,516 posts

Default Re: Floods: Hereford-Wales-Yorkshire

At least the hosepipe ban has been lifted, right?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by gremlin:

Liked 11,250 in 5,877 posts

Discussing this at work earlier. Some of these people that live in floodplains have been through this multiple times and some for the first as they only recently moved there. WTF in their right mind would move into a house that's been flooded a few times previously?!

5. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Liked 2,758 in 1,722 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Discussing this at work earlier. Some of these people that live in floodplains have been through this multiple times and some for the first as they only recently moved there. WTF in their right mind would move into a house that's been flooded a few times previously?!
    Couldn’t agree more. Maybe they were taking a gamble or chance on floods not being frequent? Foolish.

There must surely be a way of diverting excess water? Politicians blaming climate change is defeatist.

Moral of the story: always buy a house on a hill.

Liked 1,450 in 839 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. Maybe they were taking a gamble or chance on floods not being frequent? Foolish.

There must surely be a way of diverting excess water? Politicians blaming climate change is defeatist.

I did that back in '97. This valley is flatter than a very flat thing & my land was only about 3ft higher than every other house in the street but I knew it was enough. Flood water came rushing down the street 1/2 mile to the east, turned 45deg towards my house 1/2 mile South, then it made another left as it got to the road out front & carried on to the West through all my neighbors places. They woke up to water & mud flowing through their homes, my driveway didn't even get damp.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,562 in 1,534 posts
    Blog Entries

There is, but it's 'kin expensive.

For example here in MK there are lots of flood control works that were "baked in" to the town when it was built.

Here's one...

And here's another...

It's ALOT of water.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 30 in 18 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    There is, but it's 'kin expensive.

For example here in MK there are lots of flood control works that were "baked in" to the town when it was built.

Here's one...

And here's another...

It's ALOT of water.
    There in lies the solution. Water loves to gather at the lowest point, so let it do its thing and build elsewhere. Our ancestors knew this. How is it that we advance in many things and yet never seem to learn. Funny lot us humans.

10. The following user liked this post made by Buckaroo:

On the M1 which doesn’t have a hard shoulder
    Liked 466 in 236 posts

Yebbut, we carry out works to alleviate flooding at point A, surely then the water all goes to point B instead, where no work has been done?? Plus, builders don’t care where they build as long as they make money!! Hence all the estates on traditional flood plains.
    Just my opinion.
    Mick

12. The following user liked this post made by 636mick:

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,137 in 3,221 posts

Our town isn't on a flood plain.
    2007;

http://www.teme-valley.co.uk/tenburywells7.html

2020;

Our local MP, has been promising flood defences for 13 years..

Liked 796 in 466 posts

This argument that it is because we allowed developers to build on flood plains just doesn't hold water (sorry couldn't resist), most if not all of the footage and pictures I have seen show the flloding has affected old buildings/towns and not new bulids.

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by JamJar:

Liked 4,308 in 2,117 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Our town isn't on a flood plain.
    2007;

http://www.teme-valley.co.uk/tenburywells7.html

2020;

Our local MP, has been promising flood defences for 13 years..
    Looks like the town has been there longer than 13 years. The locals gave everyone else plenty of time to get flood defences done so why give the MP a hard time for just 13 years? I'm guessing it will be local authority money that will have to pay for it so your MP is just making the usual noises as I doubt central government will cough up. It's the council you should be moaning at.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,137 in 3,221 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    Looks like the town has been there longer than 13 years. The locals gave everyone else plenty of time to get flood defences done so why give the MP a hard time for just 13 years? I'm guessing it will be local authority money that will have to pay for it so your MP is just making the usual noises as I doubt central government will cough up. It's the council you should be moaning at.
    IIRC the previous flood events before 2007 were back in the 1800's, so no real need to protect against the old 100+ year events.
    Central government is pledging the money, who gets it however.......

18. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,575 in 988 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    There in lies the solution. Water loves to gather at the lowest point, so let it do its thing and build elsewhere. Our ancestors knew this.
    Our acestors may have known this but it didn't stop them building. For example, York is a place that has been known to flood regularly, not least because of the confluence of two rivers and it used to be tidal be for the locks were built lower down. There were some residents in early times but it was the Romans who started the major settlement there, partly because of the river access to the sea and partly because . After they left, the Vikings came in and enlarged the city. Successive generations have lived there to this date. I suspect it isn't the only ancient town to have been built in a river valley.

Liked 1,300 in 548 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Our acestors may have known this but it didn't stop them building. For example, York is a place that has been known to flood regularly, not least because of the confluence of two rivers and it used to be tidal be for the locks were built lower down. There were some residents in early times but it was the Romans who started the major settlement there, partly because of the river access to the sea and partly because . After they left, the Vikings came in and enlarged the city. Successive generations have lived there to this date. I suspect it isn't the only ancient town to have been built in a river valley.
    True that. So it begs the question... What did the Romans ever do for us then

Liked 2,520 in 1,299 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 636mick View Post
    Yebbut, we carry out works to alleviate flooding at point A, surely then the water all goes to point B instead, where no work has been done?? Plus, builders don’t care where they build as long as they make money!! Hence all the estates on traditional flood plains.
    Just my opinion.
    Mick
    And an entirely correct one, IMO.

Flood plains were not historically built on because, erm, they flood. But with this land being available relatively cheaply they are becoming prime development land. And then, guess what, they flood and everyone wonders why. Can't get insurance, can't sell, tough shit, the developer's happy. When I bought my house I made bloody sure it was at a reasonable elevation. Never mind rainfall flooding, sea levels are on the up and it's a cheap way to get a beachfront property.

Yes, too, that penny pinching flood defence schemes do as much harm as they save. If you prevent water from lying in higher areas it rushes downhill to the next lower lying area in far greater quantities. Towns that were built on rivers or at bridge crossings now need to have dykes installed in effect thanks to all the water that has now been diverted into the rivers instead of being allowed to lie and naturally sink into the aquifers. I find it hard to have sympathy for the Tory voters who wanted austerity for everyone else and are now complaining that nobody has built them flood defences.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission