TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac laptop - save everything and wipe clear??

Liked 3,627 in 1,845 posts

Default Re: Mac laptop - save everything and wipe clear??

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1250 View Post
    Just copy your movies and photos to an external disk simple and cheap, and the delete them on your mac

Yeah. see this is why I need a person to help. I didn't think they were on the computer at all and scared to move anything in case I lose them from the iCloud too??

Liked 43 in 33 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    Thank you

I don't do games on here. Only videos that could be on here are from the phone but I thought that was saved to the iCloud? I do have loads of photos, but again, thought they went to the cloud

Here's the Storage tab - not sure what 'other' is?? Can't find a Manage tab in the About This Mac?

Attachment 43254
    OK, a few points....

- Stuff that's saved in iCloud is usually stored on the Mac as well, same as with all cloud services. Files are backed up to the cloud so they're accessible from anywhere, but they exist on every device that you connect that service to in most cases.

- 'Other' files are just normal files, documents etc that can be of various types but not video, music etc, and also all your operating system files. If you also use anything like Google Drive or Dropbox, these files will all be here.

- You don't have the 'Manage' tab because you have an old version of the operating system before this was released. In fact, it looks like you have the same version of the operating system that came with your Mac and has never been updated! You should definitely, definitely update to the latest version, and this will actually likely save you some space as well as give you all the various improvements, but probably not until you've freed up some space. You might well not have enough space to actually do the upgrade, though it might be worth trying. Go to 'About This Mac' and click the 'Software Update' button and let us know what it says/what happens.

- You mainly have a lot of audio and a lot of photos. Can I ask what software these are in? For example, if the photos are mainly from your phone and syncing via iCloud and then you can make a change so that they're not all stored in high quality files on your Mac but stay in iCloud.

3. The following user liked this post made by Slenver:

Quote Originally Posted by Slenver View Post
    OK, a few points....
    - Stuff that's saved in iCloud is usually stored on the Mac as well, same as with all cloud services. Files are backed up to the cloud so they're accessible from anywhere, but they exist on every device that you connect that service to in most cases.

Eek!! I didn't know that!!!!

- 'Other' files are just normal files, documents etc that can be of various types but not video, music etc, and also all your operating system files. If you also use anything like Google Drive or Dropbox, these files will all be here.

I've used Dropbox a couple of times. Don't think I use google drive

- You don't have the 'Manage' tab because you have an old version of the operating system before this was released. In fact, it looks like you have the same version of the operating system that came with your Mac and has never been updated! You should definitely, definitely update to the latest version, and this will actually likely save you some space as well as give you all the various improvements, but probably not until you've freed up some space. You might well not have enough space to actually do the upgrade, though it might be worth trying. Go to 'About This Mac' and click the 'Software Update' button and let us know what it says/what happens.

It did automatically update a few times but then said it couldn't. I probably should have taken more notice at that point!!!

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 00.17.56.jpg
    Doesn't seem to give me the option to update the OS??

- You mainly have a lot of audio and a lot of photos. Can I ask what software these are in? For example, if the photos are mainly from your phone and syncing via iCloud and then you can make a change so that they're not all stored in high quality files on your Mac but stay in iCloud.

I think nearly all the photos are from phones. Any that were from an actual camera I'm pretty sure are backed up on an external hard drive (but I can check that)

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,146 in 3,224 posts

Eek!! I didn't know that!!!!
    Something to hide chick

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Something to hide chick

Well, yes!! I don't want anyone seeing my browser history!! But, I didn't realise that iCLoud stuff was also on the computer!! Just thought it was a safer place and freed up the memory on the laptop. I know nothing it seems!!

Liked 43 in 33 posts

If you go to the Photos app and into the settings, make sure this option is checked...

photos.jpg

Liked 43 in 33 posts

Doesn't seem to give me the option to update the OS??[/I]

I think nearly all the photos are from phones. Any that were from an actual camera I'm pretty sure are backed up on an external hard drive (but I can check that)
    Did you definitely click on 'software update' from the About this Mac box? Can't remember if that's different in your version of the OS, but in newer ones it won't bring up the App Store like you've shown, it'll bring up a specific box for system updates. You should be able to upgrade straight to the newest version in theory, but you will have to free up some space first I think. Supposedly you need 18.5Gb free and you don't have that much spare

Also, what was the answer re audio files? That's where most of your space is taken up..

Liked 1,516 in 1,061 posts
    Blog Entries

- 'Other' files are just normal files, documents etc that can be of various types but not video, music etc, and also all your operating system files. If you also use anything like Google Drive or Dropbox, these files will all be here
    Just taken an old fashioned ruler to that storage tab, it's 1/2 of it, so 60GB taken up by the above. Really?? Both my windows+programmes+docs<<40GB

Liked 43 in 33 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Just taken an old fashioned ruler to that storage tab, it's 1/2 of it, so 60GB taken up by the above. Really?? Both my windows+programmes+docs<<40GB
    Not everyone has the same number of files stored on their PCs though, do they?

11. The following user liked this post made by Slenver:

Liked 1,516 in 1,061 posts
    Blog Entries

Not everyone has the same number of files stored on their PCs though, do they?
    kinda reckoned it was volume rather than number.

Anyhow the detail does not matter so long as you can assist Noggs's issues for her, seeing as you & the long lost screwd IIRC are this foums apple gururs. And that of course your Gerald remains still in abeyance.

13. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Liked 43 in 33 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    kinda reckoned it was volume rather than number.

Anyhow the detail does not matter so long as you can assist Noggs's issues for her, seeing as you & the long lost screwd IIRC are this foums apple gururs. And that of course your Gerald remains still in abeyance.
    Haha, ah Gerald. Yes, long gone and a dim and distant memory. Thank you

Hi - not ignoring this. Been a smidge busy and emotional the last few days!! LOL But from Weds I think I will have all day everyday to work on sorting this out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission