TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Spend my money on a new computer

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,482 in 2,592 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Spend my money on a new computer

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Well, preferably used from Tier1 as I've used them before and their service was excellent.

My current one is a Dell Inspiron 530, 4gb of ram and a random graphics card. I'm replacing it for two reasons, firstly that video playback frequently pixelates and goes to not exactly black and white negative. Secondly is a neighbour of mine needs a newer computer and she can have this one.

A W10 licence will be useful as I can transfer it to her, I run Linux Mint. Other than that the specs I see as important are 8gb RAM minimum for futureproofing and the ability to have three HDDs connected internally. The chipset variations, speed, i3/i5/i7 etc go over my head as I don't know enough about them to choose.

Do your worst.

Liked 1,974 in 1,200 posts

Default Re: Spend my money on a new computer

i5 minimum. ssd for os drive. 8gb as you said ram, 16gb helpful. 2gb graphics ddr5 works well enough.

Liked 8,228 in 4,645 posts

Get the latest GEN i5 that you can. Make sure the chassis fits the required number of drives.

Everything else can be upgraded separately. I wouldn't bother with a dedicated graphics card, unless you frequently perform a task that requires one?

4. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

I've plenty of SSDs and was planning on reusing them.

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

I know this sounds dumb, but I'd know if I needed a separate graphics card wouldn't I? I don't game, just watch the occasional downloaded film. No video editing either.

Liked 8,228 in 4,645 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    I know this sounds dumb, but I'd know if I needed a separate graphics card wouldn't I? I don't game, just watch the occasional downloaded film. No video editing either.
    You'll be fine with the HD Graphics built into the CPU, imho.

I'm sat watching BBC News channel in 1080p on a 60inch screen being driven by an 90 Intel Computestick with an atom CPU.

8. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 1,516 in 1,061 posts
    Blog Entries

My current one is a Dell Inspiron 530, 4gb of ram and a random graphics card. I'm replacing it for two reasons,

A video playback frequently pixelates and goes to not exactly black and white negative.

B Secondly is a neighbour of mine needs a newer computer and she can have this one. A W10 licence will be useful as I can transfer it to her

The specs I see as important are 8gb RAM minimum for futureproofing and the ability to have three HDDs connected internally. The chipset variations, speed, i3/i5/i7 etc go over my head as I don't know enough about them to choose.
    A that should be more than good enough. I've a vastly ancient Sony laptop no card, 3GB Ram, Win 10 & that runs video as you descibe fine. Specs on the 530 look more than capable with card. Ah-it is running a SSD though.

However, what flavour of windows did it have before you slapped Linux Mint on?

B Not so fast. Dunno what you mean by tier one, but used means it's registered & it is registered to that that machine. You can change the living shite out of it, I mean everything but somehow it knows. You can't simply hoik the disk out & slap it into another because, somehow, microsoft know. In fact IIRC my partners tower went down so badly it took the PSU and the cpu AND the fekcing mobo. So I got new to me one of those (ebay obv) all different-better actually. Was reckoning it would have to be Linux Mint, slapped the old drive in or I clean installed, can't remember. Signed in to my MS account & fuck me there was my old Win 10 pro bcka again. OTOH that got on there because windows insider programme gave to all participants. Maybe I've some kind of special flagged account, but it sure as fuck didn't go with the drive when I tried that.

C My analogy on i3 vas i5 vs i7 used be like number of driven wheels, but that faills because we're all dual core minimum these days. But say i3=bike, i5=FWD i7=AWD. If you drive down a twisty route most of the time, you'll be wanting AWD. But you don't-you're more A-B pretty straight line. So you're all about brute force BHP, which in computer terms is speed in GHz.

So fast as poss i5.

But wait, AMD Ryzen time. You don't play games, not even video edit. Ryzens got better on board graphics, more cores AND cheaper (I think). As per many tiresomes I run an AMD false quad A6800 system. Ain't nothing that's been phased by running factory standard. These days I do do vido editing, so it does run a card, but even that's as old as the hills. I'd way it up and even billy basic gamer would have an intel & then pair it with a card when he could afford it. However, they're wrong. Dodgy got an early Ryzen for his boy. Onto another gen these days.

Find it in a minute.

EDIT here https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/thre...ighlight=ryzen

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

This lot: https://www.tier1online.com/ I'll bought my laptop from them and they were excellent to deal with.

I thought I'd linked to them in the OP. The Dell 530 was shipped with XP.

Good explanation about i3/5/7 and Ghz.

Liked 119 in 98 posts

Well, preferably used from Tier1 as I've used them before and their service was excellent.

My current one is a Dell Inspiron 530, 4gb of ram and a random graphics card. I'm replacing it for two reasons, firstly that video playback frequently pixelates and goes to not exactly black and white negative. Secondly is a neighbour of mine needs a newer computer and she can have this one.

A W10 licence will be useful as I can transfer it to her, I run Linux Mint. Other than that the specs I see as important are 8gb RAM minimum for futureproofing and the ability to have three HDDs connected internally. The chipset variations, speed, i3/i5/i7 etc go over my head as I don't know enough about them to choose.

Do your worst.
    Update your video player, probably needs newer codecs?

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

I use VLC and it's as up to date as possible AFAIK.

I'll try another video player soon.

Added: I've no real idea about budget, Tier1 has desktops from 99 upwards.
    Last edited by cheb; 18-03-20 at 15:52.

Liked 119 in 98 posts

Aye, my VLc said it was up to date, i downloaded version 3.0.8 from their webby and all the problems disappeared.

14. The following user liked this post made by ogri:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission