TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

  1. #16
    Not Much To Do Craigyboy9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    883
    Like
    45
    Liked 337 in 178 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    Bear in mind that both the Mercedes and the Skoda are very popular with the Private Rental Taxi brigade. Take a look at any airport and the roads are full of E Classes and Superbs. You won't see many 5 series BMW's.

    So this means many get clocked-a bit easier to tell now with the DVLA MOT checker. Sellers can hide the true mileage, but they cant hide the fact that councils require taxis to be MOT tested every six months.
    Iím trying to pick one up that has a main dealer history, then I can match them to the mot history.

    Howís things out in Spain? Are you surviving?

  2. #17
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausagechester
    Posts
    19,586
    Like
    213
    Liked 1,562 in 1,113 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    Bear in mind that both the Mercedes and the Skoda are very popular with the Private Rental Taxi brigade. Take a look at any airport and the roads are full of E Classes and Superbs. You won't see many 5 series BMW's.

    So this means many get clocked-a bit easier to tell now with the DVLA MOT checker. Sellers can hide the true mileage, but they cant hide the fact that councils require taxis to be MOT tested every six months.
    You'll never hide the true mileage, it will always be aparrent. Plus even basic code readers can pick the mileage up from modules which cannot be clocked.

  3. #18
    Not Much To Do Craigyboy9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    883
    Like
    45
    Liked 337 in 178 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Well, In the end I had £9.5k to spend after I sold the Caddy and paid off what was outstanding on the loan for it. As much as I really wanted the Merc or BMW, cooler heads prevailed and I picked up a 2012 2.0tdi (140bhp) Superb Estate in Elegance trim for £7800 with 54k miles and full history. Iíd have had to spend the whole lot on a BMW or Merc and have had no Ďjust iní case fund. Got the train down to Durham on Friday morning and drove it back up to Glasgow, home safe for 13:00. Iíve got to say. I am super impressed with it.

  4. #19
    Should Get Out More Gedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern Hampshire
    Posts
    18,945
    Like
    1,217
    Liked 1,866 in 882 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    Well, In the end I had £9.5k to spend after I sold the Caddy and paid off what was outstanding on the loan for it. As much as I really wanted the Merc or BMW, cooler heads prevailed and I picked up a 2012 2.0tdi (140bhp) Superb Estate in Elegance trim for £7800 with 54k miles and full history. I’d have had to spend the whole lot on a BMW or Merc and have had no ‘just in’ case fund. Got the train down to Durham on Friday morning and drove it back up to Glasgow, home safe for 13:00. I’ve got to say. I am super impressed with it.
    Best choice at that sort of budget ..The taxi and private hire trade love them for a reason..

  5. #20
    Not Much To Do Craigyboy9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    883
    Like
    45
    Liked 337 in 178 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Best choice at that sort of budget ..The taxi and private hire trade love them for a reason..
    Be nice to get 3 years trouble free out of it. Fingers crossed.

  6. The following user liked this post made by Craigyboy9:


  7. #21
    Really Bored rodbargee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    3,466
    Like
    740
    Liked 832 in 384 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts guys, i do like the 520 m sport touring. I can’t justify the extra running costs of the 530’s. There are a few around, but there’s more low mileage Mercs and Skodas around for the same price. I’ve not driven a bmw since my E30 325i coup which was a bloody great car. That M20 straight six had no right sounding as good as it did.
    I’m going to be doing around 15k miles a year, probably about 80-90% on the motorways. So comfort was the big thing for me. I’ve been allowed to keep my track bike, so that’s why I’m looking at estates. I’ll get a one bike trailer and I’ll still be able to get all my shit in the back and should even be able to get my head down in the back if the need arises.
    I had the 520D m sport touring superb car handled well and nearly 60MPG! very reliable 2006 Better than the later ones no choice IMO get one! 530 a bit more needy in derv and bits

  8. #22
    Not Much To Do Craigyboy9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    883
    Like
    45
    Liked 337 in 178 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by rodbargee View Post
    I had the 520D m sport touring superb car handled well and nearly 60MPG! very reliable 2006 Better than the later ones no choice IMO get one! 530 a bit more needy in derv and bits
    Too late 🤣🤣🤣

  9. #23
    Should Get Out More Savio Du Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    13,473
    Like
    185
    Liked 4,278 in 1,517 posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    We had an e class from new in 2017. Lovely and quiet. Comfortable and an enormous boot. Interior was nicest of any car in that range at the time which is what won. Nippy for a barge too.

    I'm due a new car soon. Quite fancy one of those audi quadriplegias things

  10. #24
    Should Get Out More balbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    12,017
    Like
    1,428
    Liked 3,886 in 2,008 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    Well, In the end I had £9.5k to spend after I sold the Caddy and paid off what was outstanding on the loan for it. As much as I really wanted the Merc or BMW, cooler heads prevailed and I picked up a 2012 2.0tdi (140bhp) Superb Estate in Elegance trim for £7800 with 54k miles and full history. Iíd have had to spend the whole lot on a BMW or Merc and have had no Ďjust iní case fund. Got the train down to Durham on Friday morning and drove it back up to Glasgow, home safe for 13:00. Iíve got to say. I am super impressed with it.
    Good choice. Conincidentally I've just bought myself something similar - a 2.0tdi (140bhp) Passat estate. What engine code have you got in yours?

    Mine is thoroughly unexciting, but large inside and very economical - perfect as a nondescript, do anything family wagon.

  11. #25
    Not Much To Do Craigyboy9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    883
    Like
    45
    Liked 337 in 178 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    Good choice. Conincidentally I've just bought myself something similar - a 2.0tdi (140bhp) Passat estate. What engine code have you got in yours?

    Mine is thoroughly unexciting, but large inside and very economical - perfect as a nondescript, do anything family wagon.
    Same engine in my Skoda Balbas, actually for such a big car itís not bad, quite torquey. Iíd have preferred the 170bhp, but it was never going to be the reason to pick one over another.

  12. #26
    Should Get Out More balbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    12,017
    Like
    1,428
    Liked 3,886 in 2,008 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    Same engine in my Skoda Balbas, actually for such a big car it’s not bad, quite torquey. I’d have preferred the 170bhp, but it was never going to be the reason to pick one over another.
    I suspect you've got the common rail lump in yours, mine is a few years older and the PD unit. I also would have preferred the 170, but 140 seems enough. It's actually got more bhp and torque than the TD5 LandRover I used to have, but I have to remember to change gear in this - the LandRover was already making most of its torque just above idle, in the Passat its way up the rev range somewhere.

  13. #27
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    highlands
    Posts
    708
    Like
    146
    Liked 46 in 31 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    Good choice. Conincidentally I've just bought myself something similar - a 2.0tdi (140bhp) Passat estate. What engine code have you got in yours?

    Mine is thoroughly unexciting, but large inside and very economical - perfect as a nondescript, do anything family wagon.
    Ive got that 140bhp engine in my 2012 golf, and got mapped to 193bhp, (by celtic tuning) what a difference loads more torque and better on fuel.

  14. #28
    Not Much To Do Craigyboy9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    883
    Like
    45
    Liked 337 in 178 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    I suspect you've got the common rail lump in yours, mine is a few years older and the PD unit. I also would have preferred the 170, but 140 seems enough. It's actually got more bhp and torque than the TD5 LandRover I used to have, but I have to remember to change gear in this - the LandRover was already making most of its torque just above idle, in the Passat its way up the rev range somewhere.
    Itís the CR version, had one of the original Golf gt tdiís with the 140bhp PD engine, owned diesels ever since 🤣

  15. #29
    Not Much To Do Craigyboy9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    883
    Like
    45
    Liked 337 in 178 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    Quote Originally Posted by skatty View Post
    Ive got that 140bhp engine in my 2012 golf, and got mapped to 193bhp, (by celtic tuning) what a difference loads more torque and better on fuel.
    Definitely something Iíll think about, how much did the remap cost?

  16. #30
    At Work
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    over Waterley Cross way
    Posts
    1,163
    Like
    65
    Liked 276 in 172 posts

    Default Re: E class Merc v Skoda Superb Estates

    A mate has an Octavia VRS which was chipped to about 220/230. He doesn't like it...says if you stroke the throttle in any gear it hits you in the back and then you need another gear. Very powerbandy and difficult to drive smoothly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission