TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Bike - Moto Guzzi V7

Liked 6,648 in 4,133 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Bike - Moto Guzzi V7

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleStudPony View Post
    Slap that bitch!
    But wait till she's ironed yer shirt and made yer tea

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,446 in 1,423 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I'd slap that bitch up, but she'd slap me back twice as hard.

She sounds like a keeper.

Liked 6,242 in 3,216 posts

I'd slap that bitch up, but she'd slap me back twice as hard.
    If you're both in leathers and in the privacy of your garage then that might be an avenue to explore.
    I usually have to pay for that shit.

4. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Liked 8,215 in 4,640 posts

Took the screen off, looks loads better imho.

The mirror extenders went on Saturday, don't why the previous owner needed them, the mirrors work fine for me without them.

6. The following 5 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:

Liked 2,026 in 1,331 posts

Elbows like Jimmy Hills chin?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,084 in 636 posts

Just got back from a 77 miles ride round the peaks. Over the Strines, then the Snake, hang a right in Glossop and a mile on the Woodhead, then off up the top of Holme Moss and back home...

T'was 6c at the top according to the bike, 11c at home... and 13c in the garage.

I like it. It doesn't like being rushed and rewards a smoother ride. I must remember it's a v-twin and it doesn't have a slipper clutch... oops.

The seat was comfy for a couple of hours, the bars and levers are all good, in an ideal world I could do with another inch between the seat and the pegs, but it didn't cause me any pain.

The rear suspension is rock solid. They're Hagon Nitro shocks and bumps kick you out of the seat. They're on the lowest pre-load setting and two off min for the combined compression/rebound adjustment, might have a fiddle with the adjusters at some point.

Just hosed the road salt off and dried it, the finish is brilliant, puts some of the japs to shame!

It gets to 80 easy enough, struggles to 90, then you're gonna need a very long road to see an more. Stacks of character in the motor, it's lumpy low down and smooth up top. I love blipping the throttle on the ride stand and watching the whole bike rock. Sounds fruity on the standard pipes too.

After Horse mentioned the shaft drive thing, I kept an eye out for it. Feels just like a chain drive bike to me.
    Lovely road, Strines... one of my favs since I discovered it years ago when a mate moved to Holmfirth in the early 90s. Was up there running a training course back in the autumn, on a right gloomy day. Didn't take the shine off the road but the flat light made it trickier than in bright sun.

Good to see someone else enjoying a lower-powered machine. I'd probably still be riding something like the V7 if I didn't get the 'if you're a proper instructor, why don't you get a proper bike' line when riding anything less than a 600-four.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,084 in 636 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    What is it that makes people fiddle with the suspension of their bike and make it unrideable? One of the first things I do when I get a new bike is set the suspension settings back to the manufacturer's recommended settings
    Some years back I bought a low mileage GSX-R750. On the ride back, I wondered what I'd done... it rode like a plant balanced on roller skates. I got home, parked it up and checked the suspension settings, with the aid of the excellent section in the handbook. It turned out that everything - preload, compression, rebound - was wound up to the max. Heaven only knows what the previous owner thought he was doing - maybe he'd read one of Performance Bike's suspension tuning guides! They used to recommend winding everything up to 'un-rideable'.

Mind you, I did bugger up my own suspension years ago. I had an Ohlins shock on my FZ750 (one of the first ) and was showing a mate how much you could change the response... the bad news was I was doing this at 7pm at Spa, at the 24 hour race, so the demo was followed by n beers till about 4am. By the time we left two days later, I had absolutely no recollection. I seriously thought the shock had blown its damping on the way home. It wasn't until some days later I recalled my 'tweaks', and of course had absolutely no idea where the shock had been before I messed with it.

I called Steve Lindsell who used to race FZs and sell the shocks for them, and he gave me some base settings based on my usage and weight to try. Almost spot on, all I needed was a couple of clicks off the compression and the set-up was as good, if not better, than before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post

Good to see someone else enjoying a lower-powered machine. I'd probably still be riding something like the V7 if I didn't get the 'if you're a proper instructor, why don't you get a proper bike' line when riding anything less than a 600-four.
    I had that years ago, two IAM instructors on ZZR1100's told me to just try and keep up on my TZR250.
    After I passed them, I rode on for a bit, then stopped, lit a fag, took my boots off and sat at the side of the road waiting for them.

That's actually how I got my start in racing, one of them knew a sponsor.

11. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Took the screen off, looks loads better imho.

The mirror extenders went on Saturday, don't why the previous owner needed them, the mirrors work fine for me without them.

It does look loads better without the screen.
    Once the world gets back to normal I think a test ride is on the cards - I didn't like the V7 Racer because of the riding position, felt like an R1-Z but with a funny motor - but that riding position probably works with that motor.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,084 in 636 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I had that years ago, two IAM instructors on ZZR1100's told me to just try and keep up on my TZR250.
    After I passed them, I rode on for a bit, then stopped, lit a fag, took my boots off and sat at the side of the road waiting for them.

That's actually how I got my start in racing, one of them knew a sponsor.
    I suspect they'd never ridden an TZR250 Lovely little bike, a mate of mine had one for several years when we were both couriering. I think it had 45k on the clock when he sold it on, and it ran like a dream. I loved that bike and I'd seriously love one now.

But yes, similar story... straight line power is one thing, useable power on a twisty road is another. I remember watching Damon Hill toasting everyone at Brands on the indie circuit on a Yamaha TZ250. What he lost on the straights, he more than made up on the brakes and in corner speed.

I was out on a big group trip with the old Compuserve bike forum members in the Alpes Provencal region of France quite a few years back. At the time, I had a nearly new GS500E. Now, the first ones were quite a lot quicker than the later versions (strangled by newer noise / emission regs) and I'd uprated the suspension both ends - harder springs at the front, adjustable damping and harder shock at the rear. The motor was a bit agricultural but it revved like crazy for a 500 twin (red line at 13 and pulled to 11), the single disc was strong enough to wave the back wheel three feet in the air (the downside was that the discs wore as fast as pads!) and the chassis was a corker - steel but apparently geometry very close to an RGV250 I was told and only about 350lbs dry.

One day we planned a trip out to Mt Ventoux, the classic Tour de France climb, and as I knew the road well, I volunteered to take the 'fast' group of about a dozen. I can recall a few incredulous looks, because of the GS - we had guys on Blackbirds, several ZX7-Rs, a Gixxer of some sort, as well as the obligatory sports 600s. On that trip we had along an ex-Bike journo and his mate, who'd been regaling us on stories of press launches and fast laps of exotic circuits.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after a couple of hours of riding and a stop for a coffee, we set off onto the climb. Now, there are two roads to the top, with a less-well known but ridiculously twisty road that comes in at an angle and joins one of those roads just as you come out into the moonscape scenery. It's all gas brake turn, gas brake turn. Splendid fun and I... ahem... enjoyed it.

When I got to the top, there were two bikes still behind me. A Dutch guy called Wim, who'd been quite a decent racer in his day on a VFR800. And completely mad Frenchman on a T959. As we parked up, a Brit called Dave came in on his 600 Bandit... then we waited for the others, including the journo and mate. He was three or four minutes behind and came in well down the pack

They didn't say a word, but walked over to my GS500 and took a very close look at the engine. Eventually he came over and said "what have you done to it?"

I had to smile

14. The following 3 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 1,639 in 957 posts

I've had similar fun on the Mirthcycle, and the ZXR400. The Mirth (Zephyr 550) was especially fun as I've had people think it was an 1100.

Liked 2,026 in 1,331 posts

Watching the CB500 racers practice on Brands trackdays at the very sharp end of the fast group is enough to make you realise that most of us don't need fast bikes. But they are fun!

I'm still more than happy with my 690 Duke. I'd like a go on a big bike now and again if I could just to get that RAHHHHH sensation, but not enough to want one.

Liked 1,745 in 920 posts

I used the commute on a Blade and regularly used to see a bloke on an old CB500. He'd usually come tearing past me and was quite handy on it through the roundabouts. I had no problems keeping up and could easily overtake whenever I fancied. 🙂

Liked 1,639 in 957 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    I used the commute on a Blade and regularly used to see a bloke on an old CB500. He'd usually come tearing past me and was quite handy on it through the roundabouts. I had no problems keeping up and could easily overtake whenever I fancied. 
    A good rider can be fast on anything.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission