TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Bike Sat Nav using phone - best app (Android) ?

Liked 7 in 7 posts

Default Bike Sat Nav using phone - best app (Android) ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I use Google maps and Waze in the car to get from A to B

When going from A to B on a bike I normally don`t use a sat nav as I print out the route and bung it in my tank bag.

However thinking of getting a good phone holder and using the phone as a sat nav but mainly for planning and riding a route e.g the Rutland TT

I`ve heard of (but not used) Calimoto, Kurviger, TomTom Go Mobile. Any more ? Free is good but I don`t mind paying for a genuinely good user friendly app.

What I want to do is plan my route on a PC and then export the route (GPX ?) into whatever app on the phone and then follow the route. The clearer the display of the app on the phone the better.

I`ve seen videos for the Beeline Moto and love the simplicity but not sure I can justify £150 for something I`m not going to use that often.

I could buy a cheap secondhand sat nav and then use a program like Tyre to create a route and then export it to the sat nav but thought I`d give my phone a go first.

Any recommendations or first hand experiences would be appreciated

Liked 2,077 in 1,364 posts

Default Re: Bike Sat Nav using phone - best app (Android) ?

I had a brief look a while back, but then got a 300 quid PPI payment so bought a TomTom rider 450. With that you can plan routes but I dont bother as the plan a thrill function is so good I let it guide me between way points.

I think there is a way of planning in Google maps and then using that off line on a phone I've heard but I might be wrong.

3. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Liked 1,653 in 967 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brommo View Post
    I use Google maps and Waze in the car to get from A to B

When going from A to B on a bike I normally don`t use a sat nav as I print out the route and bung it in my tank bag.

However thinking of getting a good phone holder and using the phone as a sat nav but mainly for planning and riding a route e.g the Rutland TT

I`ve heard of (but not used) Calimoto, Kurviger, TomTom Go Mobile. Any more ? Free is good but I don`t mind paying for a genuinely good user friendly app.

What I want to do is plan my route on a PC and then export the route (GPX ?) into whatever app on the phone and then follow the route. The clearer the display of the app on the phone the better.

I`ve seen videos for the Beeline Moto and love the simplicity but not sure I can justify £150 for something I`m not going to use that often.

I could buy a cheap secondhand sat nav and then use a program like Tyre to create a route and then export it to the sat nav but thought I`d give my phone a go first.

Any recommendations or first hand experiences would be appreciated

There IS a way to achieve that using Google Maps, and the Google Maps Nav software - but it's pretty involved.

I've posted about it before - you have to allow Google maps to find it's own routes, but by placing your start, via A, via B, via C, via D, via E, (etc) locations you can setup (IIRC) 8 waypoints within a single route. If you make them laybys on the roads that you want to travel, then you force google's algorythms to navigate you via those locations.

You can use 'MyMaps' (which is a google user service) to save these routes - or just send them to your phone.

The Navigation system will then direct you from A to B, B to C, C to D etc. I think now, if you bypass a waypoint (ie don't stop there) it just assumes you're continuing - or it may popup a 'continue journey' prompt (or something): which is why it's sometimes good to have the waypoint in a layby.

5. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 7 in 7 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    There IS a way to achieve that using Google Maps, and the Google Maps Nav software - but it's pretty involved.

I've posted about it before - you have to allow Google maps to find it's own routes, but by placing your start, via A, via B, via C, via D, via E, (etc) locations you can setup (IIRC) 8 waypoints within a single route. If you make them laybys on the roads that you want to travel, then you force google's algorythms to navigate you via those locations.

You can use 'MyMaps' (which is a google user service) to save these routes - or just send them to your phone.

The Navigation system will then direct you from A to B, B to C, C to D etc. I think now, if you bypass a waypoint (ie don't stop there) it just assumes you're continuing - or it may popup a 'continue journey' prompt (or something): which is why it's sometimes good to have the waypoint in a layby.

cheers

just looked at the What’s the best app for route planning?

thread you posted on. I have plotted a route on google maps before but purely to show someone where I`d been. I`d like a turn by turn direction on my own route. Seems a sat nav might be the easiest option as sat nav apps on a phone want to send you the quickest route rather than the route you actually want !

Liked 3,047 in 2,173 posts

iGO Primo is great on android and you can use tyre (If still on the go) for planning routes. Save plotted route at a KLM file and transfer to sat nav.

Liked 4,421 in 2,210 posts

cheers

thread you posted on. I have plotted a route on google maps before but purely to show someone where I`d been. I`d like a turn by turn direction on my own route. Seems a sat nav might be the easiest option as sat nav apps on a phone want to send you the quickest route rather than the route you actually want !
    Even planned routes on sat nav need to be precise ......... once had one try to redirect me for a couple of hundred miles as i hadnt zoomed in enough to set my waypoint and it was on the wrong side of a dual carriageway ..... in France ....... satnav told me to take every exit i passed but ignored it as i knew i should be heading North

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    Even planned routes on sat nav need to be precise ......... once had one try to redirect me for a couple of hundred miles as i hadnt zoomed in enough to set my waypoint and it was on the wrong side of a dual carriageway ..... in France ....... satnav told me to take every exit i passed but ignored it as i knew i should be heading North
    What he says ^^ been there in Germany. Lucky for me it was just a small town and it was taking me into side streets to small for a van. Had it been a year later when i got my Convoy i would have been doing a lot of reversing up narrow streets.

Liked 1,653 in 967 posts

cheers

The trick is to use the waypoints to fool the sat-nav software to send you down the 'quickest' route between the 2 waypoints - ie the points you've picked.

The annoying thing is that google only allows you 8 (iirc) waypoints.

Liked 7 in 7 posts

I`ve found out Google Maps currently only allows 10 waypoints but that can be got around to a maximum of 20. Video of how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmUJ8-KQ5o

Will give this a go as this will be a free option so worth experimenting

If it doesn`t then I `think` I may have found a paid app which will do what I`m looking for https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

You can plan your routes on a PC and there is a navigation app for your phone. Max number of waypoints appears to be 100 which surely must be more than enough !. You get a 14 day trial which once this lockdown finishes I`ll give a try. Pricing doesn`t seem too bad. The you tube tutorials seem quite in depth but are done by a strange German chap !

12. The following user liked this post made by Brommo:

Liked 1,653 in 967 posts

I`ve found out Google Maps currently only allows 10 waypoints but that can be got around to a maximum of 20. Video of how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmUJ8-KQ5o

Will give this a go as this will be a free option so worth experimenting

Definitely worth a try.

NavFree or Mapfactor Navigator are both free for Android as are the world maps. Just not sure if you can upload pre plotted routes to them

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission