TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B17 crash report...

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,476 in 2,588 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: B17 crash report...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Excellent point, and if I'd engaged brain before fingers I'D have realised. Why not automatic though? And how does the pilot know how lean or rich the mixture is?

Liked 3,543 in 1,838 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Excellent point, and if I'd engaged brain before fingers I'D have realised. Why not automatic though? And how does the pilot know how lean or rich the mixture is?
    Modern piston engined aeroplanes have single lever operation - a single power lever like the accelerator in your car, and a computer manages the mixture and the propelllor constant speed unit.

PPL candidates were (and my still be for all I know) taught to pull the mixture back slowly until the motor runs rough, and then push it back in 1/4 of an inch. It always seemed inexact to me.

As an aside I nearly threw an aeroplane in the sea when I was a student pilot - I wanted to descend, so reached out to close the throttle (I was looking out of the window at an interesting yacht at the time), and pulled the mixture control to lean / cut off by mistake...

Liked 1,449 in 838 posts

Some have auto lean/auto rich. Pilot knows how lean/rich the mixture is by having knowledge of the manual & looking at the position of the lever.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,561 in 1,533 posts
    Blog Entries

Modern ones are automatic.

Alot of the electronic controls you get in modern cars started out life in aircraft with FADEC ("Full Authority Digital Engine Control") and the like. We even use the term "fly by wire" in cars now.

Liked 6,242 in 3,216 posts

My old bike has manual air/fuel ratio lever and manual advance/retard ignition - as well as all the other controls you would be familiar with, like clutch, throttle, switches, decompression lever, etc.

6. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Liked 4,211 in 2,822 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    My old bike has manual air/fuel ratio lever and manual advance/retard ignition - as well as all the other controls you would be familiar with, like clutch, throttle, switches, decompression lever, etc.
    You shouldn’t have to use the air lever, except as a cold start device, on a mid-1930s bike.

Liked 2,519 in 1,298 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    My old bike has manual air/fuel ratio lever and manual advance/retard ignition
    Yeah, I was going to mention this. Older vehicles had manual controls for stuff like this, in the days before trickery like auto advance mechanisms and cold start circuits. On older aircraft it persisted because pilots (or designers, dunno which) felt happier having full manual control of engine management parameters.

Liked 3,825 in 2,531 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    There was an astonishing article (no longer online) written by two US pilots about gung-ho display pilots who put their (and others) lives at risk during displays. Even more surprising was that, after pointing out all of the failures, both authors died in air display crashes.
    Online here

PDF here (copied when it was on the FAA web site)

Liked 1,639 in 957 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    You shouldn’t have to use the air lever, except as a cold start device, on a mid-1930s bike.

Depends on the bike. Ride a 1910 Triumph and you'll be playing with all of them all the time just to keep it going. Not that much different in the '30s. (but better I'll admit that).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission