TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Furlough

Liked 8,434 in 4,759 posts

Default Furlough

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Anyone laid off yet?

I work for a smallish family business, I'm expecting it sometime next week.

I reckon I can survive on the 80%, I live well within my means.

2. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 1,141 in 649 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Furlough

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Anyone laid off yet?

I work for a smallish family business, I'm expecting it sometime next week.

I reckon I can survive on the 80%, I live well within my means.
    The issue is, can the business survive the downtime and will there be a job for everyone on furlough to go back to.

I’m not sure on the furlough thing - time will tell if it’s misjudged or not. It seems like an awful lot of business have panicked and used it as a lifeboat. I’m just not sure what the end result will be. I’d rather have seen some sort of bridging grant for the retail business that have been forced to close (and the directly affected supply chain) and the rest of us carry on as normal.

Liked 8,434 in 4,759 posts

For the technology company I work for, over 80% of business is education related, the sales director is expecting a massive uplift in business when the schools go back. He thinks we'll sell more Chromebooks than we can get hold of.

If every child in the UK had a school issued Chromebook (and an internet connection), then they'd all be able to 'School From Home' using Google Classroom and Hangouts.

5. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,862 in 1,690 posts
    Blog Entries

I'm voluntarily doing it sorta.

Baby dazzle's nursery have dropped fees to a 20% retainer, thus saving me >1000pcm. I've offered to reduce my hours at work, giving me more time to look after her and saving the company money. The reduction in fees pretty much counterbalances the pay loss.

If it comes to furlough then so be it.

Liked 140 in 93 posts

I'm furloughed from 1st April. I just hope that the company (and all of the others) can survive this.

Liked 6,818 in 4,244 posts
    Blog Entries

Who's gonna clean my pool ?

Liked 619 in 336 posts

I've been off for the last week along with 6 others, initially for a month, that's almost two thirds of the workforce. We've been struggling for some time and I strongly suspect that the company I work for will never fully recover. There was talk of voluntary redundancies and I'm almost certainly going to jump before I'm pushed. We're talking thousands of pounds rather than tens of thousands but like most of us here I'm getting close to retirement age and stopping work a couple of years early is looking quite attractive.

10. The following user liked this post made by Druid:

Liked 4,421 in 2,210 posts

I am working part time at the moment but in the lucky position of already retired early so i can get by if all work dries up but already looking at alternative jobs for income ..... i thought all my self employed work as a bike instructor was going to die but i have managed a bit over last few days training key workers to actually get to work on little bikes and will see what comes up. Havent been self employed long enough to qualify for any state help and pension takes me out of any other government help re tax relief or universal credit.

Still have the usual bills and mortgage so if the missus gets ill and isnt earning her bit we will take a bit of a hit unless i can find alternative work

Liked 873 in 602 posts
    Blog Entries

Reckon I'm very lucky (at the mo at least), classed as London essential worker but we've seen our work load collapse to about 10% of normal levels due to lockdown, we also currently have around 45% of the staff off, mostly self isolating, some with CV19). Work on a 7 day rota system (so lot's of weekends, early morning and night work).

As from today we've had our hours reduced to normal office hours only and whilst adhering to our normal rota pattern told to take every other week off on full pay. So, having just finished a 7 day shift, today and tomorrow was scheduled as my 'weekend' before returning for 7 night shifts, however I now don't return to work until next Monday where I work 2 days (instead of nights) and then take another 5 days off as dictated by my usual rota pattern........then take the following 7 days off

Liked 11,561 in 6,017 posts

Currently on full pay working from home. I'm classified by the Govt as "at risk" so if the stay at home for 3 month thing stays in force, i should be here on full pay but i'll run out of work for sure. Not sure what will happen if this goes on for longer?

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,235 in 3,295 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Currently on full pay working from home. I'm classified by the Govt as "at risk" so if the stay at home for 3 month thing stays in force, i should be here on full pay but i'll run out of work for sure. Not sure what will happen if this goes on for longer?
    Ditto.
    Although I'm popping into the office once a week to cycle through work / drop off complete and pick up new.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 5,294 in 2,650 posts

The missus is doing this to one of her staff and topping up the missing 20% out of the company's purse. Her engineers are subbies, so a bit fucked, but she's sorted them out quite a one-off payment each to help them out as work has dried up a bit.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 17 in 11 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    I'm voluntarily doing it sorta.

Baby dazzle's nursery have dropped fees to a 20% retainer, thus saving me >1000pcm. I've offered to reduce my hours at work, giving me more time to look after her and saving the company money. The reduction in fees pretty much counterbalances the pay loss.

If it comes to furlough then so be it.
    I personally think its a bit cheeky to ask for 20% for being closed

Liked 3,754 in 1,924 posts

Quote Originally Posted by neilf View Post
    I personally think its a bit cheeky to ask for 20% for being closed
    They still have overheads and staff?

I guess the 20% is for that and to guarantee a place for when they open again? You don't have to pay it but then you don't have a guaranteed place after the shutdown?

18. The following user liked this post made by Noggin:

Liked 543 in 326 posts

Well I’ve been on holiday since the start of the shutdown, was due to return tomorrow, I’ve had a couple of messages from a colleague saying they have ceased all work until further notice but expect to be running again soon taking on some NHS work probably endoscopy service to start with.

Not heard about pay situation but half a years holiday entitlement must be taken by June and anything booked for the rest of the year can’t be cancellled.....fair do’s.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission