TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Predictions on House prices post Covid - 19

Liked 11,662 in 6,076 posts

Default Re: Predictions on House prices post Covid - 19

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    Both of you bugger orf, Devon's full.

And anyway the water bills would give you a heart attack. They seem to shock everyone who moves here.
    Lol, no worries there, its very unlikely I'll leave Sarf Essex for anywhere else in the UK. We intend to winter abroad, if i make retirement, but no longer sure about buying a second home in Spain. Having a home there with all our stuff in and a car with a yearly airport parking permit was more appealing than short term rentals over winter and the need to lug everything down there each time, but we're not so sure now?

Liked 6,742 in 3,469 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Lol, no worries there, its very unlikely I'll leave Sarf Essex for anywhere else in the UK. We intend to winter abroad, if i make retirement, but no longer sure about buying a second home in Spain. Having a home there with all our stuff in and a car with a yearly airport parking permit was more appealing than short term rentals over winter and the need to lug everything down there each time, but we're not so sure now?
    Look at it from another angle, go and live in Spain, but keep a place in the UK for visits over summer.

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,767 in 1,032 posts

Love that part of the world. Wifes best friend lived in Braughnton and now is in Barnstaple. I really like Bideford too, but the one thing that would put me off of the area is the summer traffic. It really can be a nightmare, even when you know the back routes!
    Some great roads round there too, not many traff pol either*

* well it was circa 10 years ago when my friends and I used to hoon around !

4. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Look at it from another angle, go and live in Spain, but keep a place in the UK for visits over summer.
    No, I like living in the UK. Walking my dogs in the woods in this weather reminds me of how beautiful the English countryside is in summer and of course the spring and autumn changes are lovely too. I'd not want to leave that for the more barren lands of Spain. Its more when its get wet and cold, particularly Jan/feb, I'd like the option to bugger off for some sunshine. I'd expect soemthing like 9 months here, 3 months there, but that said, if living in Spain became more likeable the more we did it, then that bias would change accordingly.

The real decider over everything though, would be our kids and if they have kids. Neither my wife or I would want to be too separated from our kids and would deffo want to be hands on Grandparents. If they both marry and have kids and remain local, then I expect we'd stay here if help with childcare was needed? So we have ideas of what we'd like do but what the realisty is, we have no idea until the time comes? Still don't fancy Jan/Feb in England though...

Liked 5,498 in 3,704 posts

Prices may spike in the short term and then drop again as the reality hits home.

The countryside can be very isolated and isolating. There can be a distinct lack of convenience at times and many of the things that people seem to 'need' in cities are in short supply in the countryside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    All true, but there's the middle ground too! It doesn't go straight from metropolis to half a mile distances between houses !
    lusone;

Balbas, you make it sound as if the choice is between living in the meddle of London and living in a cottage at the end of a goat track half way up a mountain. There's a whole host of options in between to suit everybody*'s tastes.

*That's literally everybody, of course.

Liked 3,886 in 2,008 posts

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    lusone;

Balbas, you make it sound as if the choice is between living in the meddle of London and living in a cottage at the end of a goat track half way up a mountain. There's a whole host of options in between to suit everybody*'s tastes.

*That's literally everybody, of course.
    I'm trying to encourage everyone else to stay in the cities - the more that want to move to the countryside, the less of it will be left....

Liked 5,498 in 3,704 posts

I'm trying to encourage everyone else to stay in the cities - the more that want to move to the countryside, the less of it will be left....
    Oh. Good man.

Do you think I should delete my post or is the damage already done?

Liked 6,742 in 3,469 posts

I'd expect soemthing like 9 months here, 3 months there...
    Then no need to buy then, just rent somewhere for 2-3 months, loads cheaper.
    During the winter months you can barter for some cracking deals if you're willing to take somewhere for 2-3 months, and as a bonus you're not tied to one place every year.

If you think a bit differently there are loads of ways to get away for a few months over winter.
    Bloke a few houses down from us in the UK has a monster motorhome that he goes away in for extended periods, we fancied it ourselves but it then morphed into a yacht.

Should Get Out More Wreckless Rat's Avatar
    Liked 2,622 in 1,398 posts
    Blog Entries

Its not even that. Fucking townies are a scourge. They move to the country and moan like fuck about cows going moo, some shit on the road at beet harvest, whining about church bells ringing (thats the latest here) makes you want to scream "DID YOU NOT NOTICE THE FUCKING GREAT BIG CHURCH WHEN YOU WERE BUYING THE HOUSE YOU C'UNT", moan about shotguns, or bird shoots, horses on the road, tractors.... blah blah blah

Wankers.... utter utter wankers

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,927 in 1,738 posts
    Blog Entries

I get annoyed by country bumpkins who don't know how tube barriers work or who don't decide what they want in Starbucks until they're at the front of the queue.

12. The following user liked this post made by Mr. Dazzle:

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 5,371 in 2,695 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    I get annoyed by country bumpkins who don't know how tube barriers work or who don't decide what they want in Starbucks until they're at the front of the queue.
    Yep.

STAND ON THE FUCKING RIGHT!!! HOW HARD IS IT?!!!

And they just stop in the middle of the pavement and admire the historical buildings and landmarks etc and then have the nerve to get annoyed when you bump into them. I'm looking at my phone not for dumb tourists ffs!

Should Get Out More Wreckless Rat's Avatar
    Liked 2,622 in 1,398 posts
    Blog Entries

Few bumpkins actually move to the city though. We visit, say fuck that shit hole and come home, leaving you all to fester in your own filth.

Liked 3,060 in 2,002 posts

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Oh. Good man.

Do you think I should delete my post or is the damage already done?
    Come, friendly bombs... ?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,927 in 1,738 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Rat View Post
    Few bumpkins actually move to the city though. We visit, say fuck that shit hole and come home, leaving you all to fester in your own filth.
    Ah but you only come here because you need to. You've no choice.

Obviously it's superior here otherwise there'd be no need to visit.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission