This is an independent one man website solely funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tool Kit Challenge

A Bit Bored

Default The Tool Kit Challenge

This is an independent one man website solely funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Here's a little challenge for those of you on Lockdown and unable to ride your bike...

Most* motorcycles come with some sort of tool kit.
    Using ONLY the tool kit that came with the bike how many common maintenance tasks can you perform with it?
    You are permitted to use any oil/lubricant/cleaning agents/spare parts as necessary but all other tools/devices/implements are barred.
    You may enlist another member of your household to assist with tasks that may be difficult if attempted single-handedly.

For the unimaginative here are some suggestions -
    1. Change a headlight, tail light, indicator bulb.
    2. Change the oil and oil filter.
    3. Adjust control cables.
    4. Adjust suspension.
    5. Adjust chain tension.
    6. Change spark plug(s).
    7. Change air filter.
    8. Replace tyre and/or inner tube.

I'm sure you can think of loads more...

It could be interesting to see which bikes come with the most useful tool kit.

* But not all (yes, Triumph, I'm looking at you).

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)

Default Re: The Tool Kit Challenge

There's a bottle opener in my tool kit........

KorkyKat

Moto Guzzi are more than generous by providing a C key in a pretty red cloth case for adjusting the rear shockers despite it requiring two keys - one to hold while the other tightens it up.

If you provide your own pencil you can use it to draw a circle.

From memory, the only half decent tool kit came with Honda Bikes. Maybe not nowadays.

I think it’s more about what bikes are simplest to work on. I’m pretty sure the toolkit that originally came with my T140 would have allowed me to do most things the 1/2 and 7/16 box spanner would have fitted 90% of the nuts and bolts, and of course there was a greater likelihood of having to break it out...

A Bit Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    There's a bottle opener in my tool kit........
    That's it? The entire tool kit supplied with your bike consists of one bottle opener?
    What make and model do you have?

A Bit Bored

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    I think it’s more about what bikes are simplest to work on. I’m pretty sure the toolkit that originally came with my T140 would have allowed me to do most things the 1/2 and 7/16 box spanner would have fitted 90% of the nuts and bolts, and of course there was a greater likelihood of having to break it out...
    No... it's all about the bike you have right now and the tool kit that was supplied with it.
    But I thank you for taking the time to answer.

Well my T140 is one of my current bikes but thinking about it some more, the original toolkit didn’t come with the 3/16 whitworth tapper locknut so even regular servicing couldn’t be completed.

I've no idea what's in my bike's toolkit, I've spent a small fortune on tools over the years so I don't have to use the cheap pressed metal shite that most manufacturers provide. I'll go and check it out later.

One thing I do know is that there's no C spanner provided to adjust the chain tension (Ducati Monster with single sided swing arm)

istr my Triumph Speed Triple had a fairly decent tool kit, even had the C spanner missing from the Ducati kit

A Bit Bored

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    Well my T140 is one of my current bikes but thinking about it some more, the original toolkit didn’t come with the 3/16 whitworth tapper locknut so even regular servicing couldn’t be completed.
    Valve clearance adjustment normally requires the use of feeler gauges (not normally included in tool kits that come with a bike) which is why I deliberately left that particular task off the list. That being said, on Royal Enfield Bullets the valve clearance is zero so feeler gauges are not required.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...

Don't think I've ever owned a bike that came with its full OE toolkit and when I've come across parts of the kits they have been utter shite quality.

Honourable mention goes to a spanner I have for my KX500. Its a Moose Racing Riders Wrench and they come for various dirtbikes.
    From memory it does the fork caps, both axles, the sparkplug and removes the float bowl plug. Then a small sloted does some suspension damping adjustments at both ends as well as removes jets.

I used to own a Maico 250 motocrosser that had both its Bing carburetor float bowl and it's airfilter held on by spring clips so didn't requite tools to remove them. Nice touch on an offroad bike.

I don't think any bike with a SSSA can be adjusted with the bike tool kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1913 View Post
    My MV Agusta Brutale could be adjusted using the bike tool kit, I assume other MVs use the same system.

VFR750 and Speed Triple require a 17mm spanner to undo the pinch bolt, I can't remember if there was one in the tool kit. They both had the C spanner though

At Work

Quote Originally Posted by 1913 View Post
    Both VFRs - 800, VTEC - also ST1050s, SDGT, could all be done with the bike kit. Not as rare as you think.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar

To the best of my knowledge mine (FXFBS) doesn't come supplied with any tools, I certainly don't remember seeing any when I was working on it last year.

But then if it did they'd not be able to tempt me with the purchase of a snap on kit for near as damn it 300 quid;
    https://estore.chester-harley-davids...2.html#/page-2

But then again in the 13 years I owned my Triumph I don't ever remember using any of their supplied tools.

On my old fazer 1000 you could adjust chain, change bulbs and most importantly do the plugs with the supplied articulated tool.
    Current bike.......not taken the bag from the seat yet so no idea whats even in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission