TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ptsd?

Liked 1,468 in 848 posts

Default Re: Ptsd?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    A lot depends on who ya see. My first counselor was another ex pat & was great. She went on to a new job & I ended up with her former boss. She's not so great but has the kind of looks that would make the Pope kick a nun. Haven't seen her since this lock down malarky started, but for some reason there was a big turn around a couple of weeks back which I can't explain.

Liked 1,335 in 572 posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Ptsd?

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    No one really knows what PTSD is, it's a massive lazy explanation for people that show emotional effects after a traumatic event that is undetermined in length or unidentified in severity.
    A cure is probably years behind a proper explanation, and that's not coming any time soon.

IMHO a lot of anguish comes from people looking for a 'cure' but not finding one - and (again IMHO) these events rewire your brain and the usual coping strategies that you've developed in life no longer work anyway.
    We are all different in coping strategies and learned behaviour to an extent that what one person brushes off as non-traumatic could mentally cripple someone else. In fact sometimes some people find that life is shit even if they haven't experienced a traumatic event.

I am convinced of only one thing, which is that if you stay alive for long enough you will eventually find a successful coping strategy - unfortunately staying alive for long enough is a challenge for some.
    Keep getting up in the morning, try not to be a cnut and keep trying different ways to make the day a bit brighter*.

* Some days are better than others.
    Thanks Icarus, that's an excellent post. I'll use this line as my new motto in life! "Keep getting up in the morning, try not to be a cnut and keep trying different ways to make the day a bit brighter*.

* Some days are better than others."
    It is a vicious circle. The counsellor says anxiety follows depression, but then it is possible to be even more fed up by knowing this is happening.
    I have to say that I hope people don't think worse of me by posting all this. All I can tell myself is that my frontal lobes of the brain were damaged very badly so I am not the same as I was before head-butting the kerb at a recorded 30-35mph, at about 7.30pm on 8th August 2012. I try to lift my spirit by focusing on what I've done since! Survived in the first place, got back on the bike, raced again and five years later, almost to the minute I finished a race with a personal best for that year. I did not realise immediately until reflecting on the race later on. Plus I had the two books published. Helped greatly by our friend Editor here on TRC. Importantly, Discovered how many good friends I really have when people came out of the woodwork to offer help and support. Even people who visited who were work-colleagues over 30 years previously!

Cheers everyone

A Bit Bored
    Liked: 1/1

I've unknownly suffered for years due to shit at school and simple stuff when I was younger. My life was a reasonably happy time with the exception of school which was fucking awful and I was singled out by teaching staff and this unbeknown to me caused me to struggle due to learnt behaviours.

I would never have said I suffered any trauma that would qualify as a trigger for ptsd but apparently I did.

There is a book that I read

The Compassionate Mind Approach to Recovering from Trauma: Series editor, Paul Gilbert: Using Compassion Focused Therapy
    Amazon.co.uk
    (6)

I was a little sceptical at first but after reading it and doing the exercises I did get some relief and am now able to talk to people about my early life without breaking down or going raj for no reason.

4. The following user liked this post made by davadvice:

Liked 341 in 231 posts
    Blog Entries

there's a shorter gilbert pdf on compassion wich might be helpful if you struggle with concentration

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/G...ON-HANDOUT.pdf

written in comic sans bc reasons, presumably

Really Bored
    Liked 497 in 377 posts
    Blog Entries

Hope you get well. I suppose physical activities like swimming or running would help a little. It helped me although what I had is nothing compared to yours.

30 years ago I almost drowned in the sea. Then I had some kind of mild PTSD I suppose. I've got nightmares and paralysing fear from the sea.

With time and exercises, all is fine now, but still, I am never able to swim in the sea with the same careless feel of pleasure.

7. The following user liked this post made by Val:

Liked 3,749 in 1,920 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    No one really knows what PTSD is, it's a massive lazy explanation for people that show emotional effects after a traumatic event that is undetermined in length or unidentified in severity.
    A cure is probably years behind a proper explanation, and that's not coming any time soon.

IMHO a lot of anguish comes from people looking for a 'cure' but not finding one - and (again IMHO) these events rewire your brain and the usual coping strategies that you've developed in life no longer work anyway.
    We are all different in coping strategies and learned behaviour to an extent that what one person brushes off as non-traumatic could mentally cripple someone else. In fact sometimes some people find that life is shit even if they haven't experienced a traumatic event.

I am convinced of only one thing, which is that if you stay alive for long enough you will eventually find a successful coping strategy - unfortunately staying alive for long enough is a challenge for some.
    Keep getting up in the morning, try not to be a cnut and keep trying different ways to make the day a bit brighter*.

* Some days are better than others.

This interesting cos for me I only had symptoms and struggle after the head injury, which was almost two years after the big accident that destroyed my shoulder.

I thought it was some kind of concussion syndrome (although that in itself had me worried as didn't really seem to be a real 'thing'), or an age related thing, or stress, or bereavement

However, my doctor seemed to thing it is everything combined to cause an issue - joined together with the physio teaching me that it's ok to cry! Brought up not to show emotions - well, ideally not to have them but that failed, so I was expected not to show them. 'Learning' that it's ok has been weird, especially on the days I have a lack of control over the crying bit

My coping strategy from the shoulder destruction was positivity. That got lost a bit after the concussion/head injury incident!

Big thing for me I suspect is being alone. Didn't used to feel alone up here but the last year has been tough in lots of ways and I definitely don't feel I have the support system I imagined I did. So, another thing to get used to and work out a coping strategy for

I'm still not convinced I have PTSD - only because, well, all I did was crash a motorbike and then a pushbike. Nothing thousands of other people haven't done!! But there is definitely something different since the cycle crash, so trying to keep an open mind whilst keeping on keeping on!!

* Some days are better than others
    This is the bit I do everyday. I refuse to start each day worse (mentally/happy-wise) than the day before. It might all go to shit during the day, but I can start out being positive

And at some point I'll learn how to deal with the two injuries! Probably when I have and can ride a bike again (I do feel as if I've lost 2/3 of me with not being able to ride a motorbike).
    For now, I'll wade through the shit show with a smile on my face (most of the time!!)

Liked 1,335 in 572 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Hope you get well. I suppose physical activities like swimming or running would help a little. It helped me although what I had is nothing compared to yours.

30 years ago I almost drowned in the sea. Then I had some kind of mild PTSD I suppose. I've got nightmares and paralysing fear from the sea.

With time and exercises, all is fine now, but still, I am never able to swim in the sea with the same careless feel of pleasure.
    I hope that things improve for you. I still have my cycling as my exercise, competing again when Lockdown is over. But not swimming, boring [ I think] , and too much infection risk for me. I am immuno-suppressed by some medication. Running., not my thing either, Knackers the knees and distracts from bike-fitness ultimately. My life largely revolves around my para-cycling competition nowadays apart from wife and family of course!! All exercise is to make me faster on the bike. Simples!!

Thanks for your reply Val and good luck yourself...
    I don't have nightmares about my crash because being a severe head-injury I have no recollection of it, only waking up in intensive care and my "holiday" of four months in Hull Royal Infirmary Ward 40 for neurosurgical cases!

10. The following user liked this post made by hawker:

Liked 1,335 in 572 posts
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Ptsd?

Re. my accident as said, I cannot remember going down but can remember warming up before the start, then the first lap or two until the sharp left-hand corner where i remember thinking, watch out! It is big field [ 85 riders] tonight. If anyone slips on the poor road surface here, t could be a stack of dominoes effect! But the corner was okay, we accelerated down the gradual descent into a dip to go past the farmyard on the left. My hospital record states that we were travelling as a bunch at 35mph down his slope, all 85 riders of us and there are no pot-holes, no gravel , dead straight so the only explanation is that in a big group I "touched a wheel!" This is when your front wheel scrapes the back wheel of a rider just in front! It has the effect of both a sudden slowing and a slight turn! We all know not to use the front brake on a motorcycle when cornering don't we? My crash demonstrated why! Where I hit the deck we think my helmeted head hit the kerbstone at the farm's entrance. I've tried asking fellow riders from the night but no one is sure exactly how I wet down. I have to forgive myself for what was brief a lapse of concentration leading to my touch. The professionals do it in the Tour de France so us amateurs are allowed as well. When in a race you can sometimes hear the buzz of touching wheels behind you, (hopefully behind!) and you wait for the sound of a crash and most often nothing happens but with mine I did it properly!! It as also the lat lap I think, when things tend to get lively as people jostle to get closer to the front ready for the finish! So it was my error losing concentration but touching-wheels is easily done!

Another5-10 metres and I would have missed the farm-entrance and landed on grass and mud but..., Hey-ho, that's not the way it was!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission