TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: What Masonry Filler?

Liked 1,798 in 948 posts

Default What Masonry Filler?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Just wondering if anyone has some advice about exterior masonry fillers? It needs to be flexible as possible.

The house is an old, grade 2 listed, timber frame with a part render. The timber frame is covered in some posh chicken wire then render over the top, and has a few decent length cracks that need sorting. The first stage is to open the cracks with an angle grinder so it's the width of the grinding wheel. Any recommendations for a flexible filler?

Thanks.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,284 in 1,112 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What Masonry Filler?

Is it lime render or cement?

If the latter I'd be tempted to use anything that was sold as a flexible exterior repair mortar. The former needs patching with more lime render or you'll just get more blows around the edge of the repair as moisture from behind it all tries to exit at one point. Lime render can be easily mixed up and is naturally flexible

Liked 2,011 in 1,223 posts

Purely based on watching fix em up series, I'd say the majority have gone with lime render in keeping with Grade 2 and age of house. Fixes and flexes enough.

Liked 1,837 in 1,084 posts
    Blog Entries

Piggy backing on this one, would lime mortar be suitable for patching / filling / leak stopping under a stone set of stairs?

Liked 1,798 in 948 posts

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    Is it lime render or cement?

If the latter I'd be tempted to use anything that was sold as a flexible exterior repair mortar. The former needs patching with more lime render or you'll just get more blows around the edge of the repair as moisture from behind it all tries to exit at one point. Lime render can be easily mixed up and is naturally flexible
    Sorry, I should have said, it's cement render.

I think I might have the solution:

Open uk the cracks with an angle grinder and fill with this stuff https://www.screwfix.com/p/toupret-t...er-1-5kg/7626h This is a non-flexible filler and will eventually crack, so:

Paint using this stuff https://bedec.co.uk/bedec_products/extra-flex/ I've been using Bedec MSP paint on external and internal woodwork for a few years and it's great stuff.

Another question. I've used scrim tape to stop internal cracks re-appearing. Anyone ever used this on external walls?

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission