TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: illegal use of off-road motorbikes on streets

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default illegal use of off-road motorbikes on streets

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Dear off-roaders
    It may sound strange to ask motorbiking community for a help in such a matter.
    I trust that most of riders are genuine people safely enjoying the hobby.

We have a major problem with a group of about 15 riders riding the streets and parks of our estate.

Riders in groups of 3 or more are racing up and down the streets at incredible speeds.
    The bikes have modified or removed exhausts to create as much noise as possible.
    The riding goes on for many hours every day. 101 is receiving a large volume of calls from upset residents. The police is not coping with that. Riders would perform wheelies right in front of police patrol before scattering just to return minutes later.

These young people can't be reasoned with. It appears that their vocabulary is severely limited.
    There is plenty of actual off road areas out of town, just 2-3 miles away, yet riders choose the streets.

To clarify: the motorbikes in use are scramblers, pitbikes, etc. not legal on any road.

Do you have any ideas of how to stop that from happening?
    Any input is welcome!
    jstomp

The highlighted traffic offences are outlined below:
    1. DRIVING (riding) WITH NO ROAD TAX
    If your vehicle is found to have no tax, an officer may issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN). If there is not valid tax for the vehicle determined by the officer contacting the DVLA, the officer has the power to seize the vehicle and have it impounded.
    Failure to settle the fine will result in prosecution where the court may increase the fine to a maximum of £1000
    Impounded vehicles:
    A fee of £200 must be paid to release impounded vehicles, plus £21 per day storage costs.

2. DRIVING (riding) WITHOUT INSURANCE
    The minimum penalty being a fixed penalty is a £200 fine along with 6 penalty points on the licence.
    These penalty points remain on a drivers licence for four years.
    The police are also likely to seize and impound the vehicle as it will be deemed too dangerous to allow continued
    driving without insurance. The vehicle may be impounded, or destroyed.
    The fine (court prosecution) for driving with no insurance can increase up to £5000 and a driving ban, usually for
    repeat offenders.

3. DRIVING (riding) WITHOUT A LICENCE
    Penalty up to £1000.

4. DRIVING (riding) WITHOUT MOT
    A fine is imposed by court of up to a maximum of £1000.
    Also:
    Using a vehicle in a dangerous condition, for example defective brakes, illegal tyres, defective steering.
    The maximum fine:
    - other vehicles £2500

5. CARELESS DRIVING (riding) PENALTIES AND LAW
    CD10 Driving without due care and attention
    CD20 Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users
    CD30 Driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration
    for other road users
    The fine for careless driving is a maximum of £2,500.

6. DANGEROUS DRIVING (riding) PENALTIES AND LAW
    DD40 Dangerous driving
    DD90 Furious driving

- ignoring traffic lights, signals and road signs
    - speeding or racing
    - driving aggressively
    - overtaking dangerously including undertaking a vehicles on the left
    - knowingly driving a vehicle that is not safe
    - being under the influence of drink or drugs

A dangerous driving (riding) fine is up to £5,000 plus a minimum of 12 months driving ban.
    Dangerous driving in its minimal form can see the offender having a maximum custodial sentence of two years
    if convicted in a Crown Court or six months if convicted in a Magistrates Court.

7. FAILURE TO STOP FOR A POLICE OFFICER
    Road Traffic Act 1988
    163 Power of police to stop vehicles
    (1)A person driving a motor vehicle on a road must stop the vehicle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform.
    (2)A person riding a cycle on a road must stop the cycle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform.
    (3)If a person fails to comply with this section he is guilty of an offence.

8. RIDING IN PUBLIC AREAS
    "It is illegal to ride any motorbike in public open spaces such as parks, play areas and on pavements.
    Under the ‘Police Reform Act’, the police can seize a motorcycle if it cause alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public.
    Anyone caught causing annoyance to the public will face prosecution and having their motorcycle seized and disposed of."

Additionally, NSPCC was informed:
    The age of children actively involved in the offences is estimated at 10 - 15 years old.
    The age of small children being taken for rides is estimated at 3 - 9 years old.
    There is no basic safety observed when children are being ridden on handlebars or at the back of the motorbikes while riders perform races, high speed runs on busy street, overtaking cars, wheelies, jumping speed bumps, etc..

Also, housing association was informed. As per the tenants agreement; using and/or keeping off-road motorbikes may lead to eviction.

Liked 2,610 in 1,177 posts

Default Re: illegal use of off-road motorbikes on streets

I'm not sure what you expect a forum of geographically-dispersed bike riding forum members to offer in the way of advice (beyond move somewhere nicer). If the police and the local neighbourhood are unable to stop these scrotes I'm not sure who can. Or did you think there was a secret biker code, like a masonic hand shake, that would immediately make the little shits stop what they are doing?

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,581 in 1,505 posts
    Blog Entries

TWOC'y lads.

You need to boss the crescent / estate. Chase them out into the darkness with a samurai sword while wearing trakkie bottoms and a dirty vest.

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by MyLittleStudPony:

Liked 2,578 in 1,341 posts

Quote Originally Posted by jstomp View Post
    Dear off-roaders
    It may sound strange to ask motorbiking community for a help in such a matter.
    I trust that most of riders are genuine people safely enjoying the hobby.

We have a major problem with a group of about 15 riders riding the streets and parks of our estate.

Riders in groups of 3 or more are racing up and down the streets at incredible speeds.
    The bikes have modified or removed exhausts to create as much noise as possible.
    The riding goes on for many hours every day. 101 is receiving a large volume of calls from upset residents. The police is not coping with that. Riders would perform wheelies right in front of police patrol before scattering just to return minutes later.

These young people can't be reasoned with. It appears that their vocabulary is severely limited.
    There is plenty of actual off road areas out of town, just 2-3 miles away, yet riders choose the streets.

To clarify: the motorbikes in use are scramblers, pitbikes, etc. not legal on any road.

Do you have any ideas of how to stop that from happening?
    Any input is welcome!
    The answer to your problem is probably more police and more surveillance. There is no shortage of police powers to deal with illegal riders they catch, the problem is catching them. And if the people of the estate won't help then either it carries on or else you're going to need stuff like drones, CCTV, patrols etc to catch them in the act and track them back to where they live.

I would add that part of the problem is that there is nowhere else for them to play. Although you say there are plenty of offroad areas a few miles away but IME these belong to landowners who won't let it be used, or they get closed down because of complaints from nearby residents.

In the longer term people need to consider what opportunities exist for young people, full stop. Y'know, jobs etc. People who feel society doesn't care about them don't tend to feel very invested in society themselves. And that's a problem best solved at the ballot box.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    The answer to your problem is probably more police and more surveillance. There is no shortage of police powers to deal with illegal riders they catch, the problem is catching them. And if the people of the estate won't help then either it carries on or else you're going to need stuff like drones, CCTV, patrols etc to catch them in the act and track them back to where they live.

I would add that part of the problem is that there is nowhere else for them to play. Although you say there are plenty of offroad areas a few miles away but IME these belong to landowners who won't let it be used, or they get closed down because of complaints from nearby residents.

In the longer term people need to consider what opportunities exist for young people, full stop. Y'know, jobs etc. People who feel society doesn't care about them don't tend to feel very invested in society themselves. And that's a problem best solved at the ballot box.
    Residents took quality photos but riders wear masks to avoid recognition.
    Police is making "actions" every now and then but no results.
    Police has no way of catching the riders.
    The hills and fields around here are free access and not a soul in sight for miles.
    There are some real off-roaders using these hills but they are sensible people - bringing their bikes in vans or on trailers.
    From google maps aerial shots, seems to be a perfect spot for off-road, not fenced, goes for miiiileeees.
    Even the 101 operators ask the question: "why do you think that is? why do they ride in town and not on the fields?"
    I guess they are nasty? Why did they all cut the exchaust pipes? Perhaps for performance gain? I don't know. I think the rumbling noise is their goal. We do experience windows shake in the houses.

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,768 in 1,032 posts

Where is this please?

8. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Liked 1,659 in 972 posts

"why do you think that is? why do they ride in town and not on the fields?"
    I guess they are nasty? Why did they all cut the exchaust pipes? Perhaps for performance gain? I don't know. I think the rumbling noise is their goal. We do experience windows shake in the houses.
    Because they know it'll piss you off and they enjoy watching your impotent reactions.

Sorry - but that's the way it is.

Try going out and cheering them on - maybe it'll confuse them?

10. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 391 in 280 posts

Keep ringing 101 and get a local councillor involved whatever your views on them or their party - Its an ASB issue

Really Bored
    Liked 632 in 324 posts

There are some real off-roaders using these hills but they are sensible people - bringing their bikes in vans or on trailers.
    From google maps aerial shots, seems to be a perfect spot for off-road, not fenced, goes for miiiileeees.
    Even the 101 operators ask the question: "why do you think that is? why do they ride in town and not on the fields?"
    Nowhere in the UK are the hills free for people to ride on, they're all owned by someone and that someone will object to off-road motorcyclists using their land. As for fields, you've got to be kidding if you think people can ride on them. There are actually very few areas that off road bikes can be ridden legally and pretty much all of them will require a van to transport the bike to get to them as you point out they aren't road legal.

These people aren't coming to your area to do this, they are from your area. They must be keeping the bikes somewhere, people must know who they are. This is a local community problem not a motorcycling community problem.

I would suggest you engage with the yoof of your area, offer them alternative activities or find a local farmer/land owner who will let them ride on their land (good luck with that).

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by crust:

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,579 in 978 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Try going out and cheering them on - maybe it'll confuse them?
    We had 2 young lads from a pretty disfunctional family who kept on messing about in our paddock upsetting the sheep and pigs we had at the time.
    I waited up there when I thought they might turn up and asked them why they kept messing about in our paddock.
    They said they were bored and, among other things, said it was because their (push)bikes weren't working.
    I told them to come to the house the next morning and I'd see if I could fix them.
    So, against expectations, they turned up the next morning.
    With a bit of disassembly, greasing bearings, setting up brakes etc, which I got them to help with, the bikes were fine.
    I haven't seen them in the paddock since.

I started writing this thinking how maybe you could solve the problem by showing kindness, but have ended up wondering if one of the local landowners fixed all the ne'er-do-wells' bikes and now they're riding them up and down your streets.
    I still think unexpected kindness is one of the most powerful ways to change situations though.

15. The following 7 users liked this useful post by Kneerly Down:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission