TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Chrome finish for plastic ?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 107 in 36 posts

Default Chrome finish for plastic ?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Just throwing it out here - I've some bike tank badges that are currently black and I need them to have chrome finish. Material is plastic / baker light type material.
    Anyone advise or know a company ( that's still open ? ) and / or are the aerosols any good ?

Cheers

Alan.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 99 in 45 posts

Default Re: Chrome finish for plastic ?

Go look at an ordinary sheet of tinfoil (aluminium foil) that you might find in any kitchen. Notice how one side is dull and the other is shiny?
    The dull side represents the best finish you will get using aerosol, spray, or rattle can paints.
    The shiny side is what the same part will look like if chrome plated... assuming it is properly prepared.

Any parts that are to be plated must be flawless because the process will make imperfections in the material very noticeable.

Do chrome tank badges already exist for your motorcycle? Whatever they cost they will probably be cheaper and less hassle than having yours plated. Make sure you are sitting down before the plater tells you the cost of the job!

An alternative may be to buy a kit to nickel plate the badges yourself then apply a lacquer to keep them shiny.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 107 in 36 posts

Cheers Henry - the dull tin foil finish is not what I want and am lead to believe its what u get from a spray can.

''Do chrome tank badges already exist for your motorcycle? Whatever they cost they will probably be cheaper and less hassle than having yours plated. Make sure you are sitting down before the plater tells you the cost of the job!''

Piggin hope not...They are only about 4 inches square. They are Harley ''Bar and Shield'' genuine badges off a CVO and only come in black. I managed to get some - there are some on the ''black market'' but are poor copies / 3D printed but are flat. They come on the market and then disappear prob due to the HD legal boys chasing them ! . The OE ones are curved and handed for the petrol tank so fit proper.

Have mailed 2 companies so we'll see what develops

Wonder if they do NHS discount..?

Cheers

A Bit Bored
    Liked 99 in 45 posts

It would have been super helpful if you had mentioned in your first post in this thread which badges you specifically wanted to have a chrome finish on...

It took me a while but I think I have found the ones you are talking about - just a thick outline of the H-D "bar and shield" logo with no lettering. It is not a complex shape. Any competent fabricator with a piercing saw and some 4mm aluminium sheet could make them. You could probably do it yourself.

Since the badge is just an outline which is stuck to the tank, have you considered getting it cut out of chrome finish vinyl? While it would not give the 3-d effect of the badges you have it may prove to be a more cost-effective solution.

Yet another method is to use self-adhesive metal foil to coat your badges. Makers of models and movie props have been using it for decades. The brand Bare-Metal Foil is very popular.
    https://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html
    Other brands are available.
    Coating with a clear lacquer will greatly enhance the durability of the finish.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 107 in 36 posts

Once again Ta Henry.

I did look at chrome finish vinyl but decided against - and also looked at getting them ''wrapped'' but its not going to work. The bare metal foil looks interesting so ta for that and we'll see what develops.

These are the badges..

ta
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 1,497 in 864 posts

That chrome look on plastic is vacuum metalized aluminum, not chrome.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,261 in 3,313 posts

It can be done, but the kits aren't cheap, best bet is to try and find out a spray shop that offers it;

https://www.aquagraphix.co.uk/spectr...me-technology/

Are you sure thy're plastic?
    http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...lems-to-Chrome

A Bit Bored
    Liked 107 in 36 posts

Are you sure thy're plastic?
    http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...lems-to-Chrome[/QUOTE]

Cheers Mrlongbeard, that's certainly put a spanner in the works !

Have always assumed they are plastic - and very hard and not seen anything - until now - to say different. Best I get the drill out and see what comes out. They are the same badges as in the thread.

ta

Alan.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission