TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Honda C65 eating spark plugs

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Honda C65 eating spark plugs

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I am new to this forum and am hoping someone here might have some insight for me.

I have a 1965 Honda C65 that came to me as a basket case (actually 2 basket cases) and I have managed to reassemble the various bits into the semblance of one running motorcycle.

Right now there are no electrics installed other than the coil - it's running straight off the magneto, no battery, lights, etc.

Aside from some carburetor issues the biggest problem I have is it's eating spark plugs. I have been using NGK CR7HSA plugs which work for a while (an hour or so of running) and then just stop sparking. There appears to be no excessive carbon buildup or other physical sign of shorting - they just stop working. Put in a new plug and I'm good to go for a while longer.

I'm going to see if I can fine some non-resistor equivalents, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Liked 2,577 in 1,340 posts

Default Re: Honda C65 eating spark plugs

I used to have an H1A that would eat centre plugs. They didn't look any different from the others, they just stopped sparking and couldn't be recovered. Maybe consider fitting a colder plug like a 9?

Liked 4,321 in 2,896 posts
    Blog Entries

And if a colder plug makes it obviously worse, consider a hotter plug. Only go one grade hotter and test ride carefully.

A resistor plug shouldn’t hurt, if there are no other resistors in the HT circuit. No suppressor cap or carbon plug lead.

Liked 141 in 87 posts
    Blog Entries

a bit sad i know but............
    when we used to race SS50s back in the day we used to get through several plugs a weekend regardless of the heat rating. someone else suggested refitting the battery as it acts as a resistor in the circuit, lo and behold a plug lasted the entire week end.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

"someone else suggested refitting the battery as it acts as a resistor"

I was wondering if that could have an impact. Will give it a try.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission