TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockable gate latch?

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,889 in 1,142 posts

Default Re: Lockable gate latch?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    You can use mechanical keypads which do the job.
    Not right hard to hack the code with a security pen and a UV light cos the opening code doesnthave to be the numbers in the same sequence.
    For instance, the first one to press is always the C (which cancels the previously pressed pins) usually followed by four other buttons.
    So maybe C 1234. But you could also press C 4321 and it would open just the same, or C 3241, same open gate.

So you only need to know which buttons have been pressed to know the code, the sequence doesn't really matter.
    Still, that stops 90 or more % of the random people who just amble through.

Then gates with the fire keys? You can just buy the fire keys from Amazon. Same as you can buy the canal lock keys and common lift service panel keys off Amazon as well on and caravan/motorhome keys are often the same key for a hell of a lot of vehicles.

Lots of US cities police cars have pool keys a the same, then they sell those policecars off to taxi firms from what I hear so a taxi key can open a police car.
    It seems to be one of those open secret things.

Oh and as for your own home security, never post photos of your keys on social media cos theres key bitting apps you can feed a photo of a key (ideally against a white background and not angled badly) into and get the key bitting specifications from and order yourself a key.
    I've kind of digressed a bit there, err... nevermind.

2. The following user liked this post made by demographic:

Liked 1,844 in 1,089 posts
    Blog Entries

Coded locks have been discounted due to diversity of residents in the street and when installed previously were continually damaged which was suspected in protest.

FB keys are available to all but also cheap as chips (circa 1 a pop when bought in bulk - current key count is around 100 keys) but that is kind of the point, the initial aim is the prevent the street being used as a rat run / turn it into a cul-de-sac, eventually the gates will be locked up without access (like others close by) with a view to turning the street into a gated community.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,889 in 1,142 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    Coded locks have been discounted due to diversity of residents in the street and when installed previously were continually damaged which was suspected in protest.

FB keys are available to all but also cheap as chips (circa 1 a pop when bought in bulk - current key count is around 100 keys) but that is kind of the point, the initial aim is the prevent the street being used as a rat run / turn it into a cul-de-sac, eventually the gates will be locked up without access (like others close by) with a view to turning the street into a gated community.
    Thats good.
    I agree with those points.
    There's gated rear alleys in a few areas I've worked in, round Carlisle and even though everyone on two streets have the code it makes a massive difference to the random people on them.
    Basically everyone in the alley has a good reason to be there and I guess there's a lot less random skanks ratching about in them.

As long as you realise that its not hard to defeat the locks and are just aiming to lessen traffic yer golden.

Liked 1,844 in 1,089 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Thats good.
    I agree with those points.
    There's gated rear alleys in a few areas I've worked in, round Carlisle and even though everyone on two streets have the code it makes a massive difference to the random people on them.
    Basically everyone in the alley has a good reason to be there and I guess there's a lot less random skanks ratching about in them.

As long as you realise that its not hard to defeat the locks and are just aiming to lessen traffic yer golden.
    Crime and anti-social behaviour has shot up recently, hence looking to reduce footfall. Signage will be going up confirming private land, no access without permission etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission