TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bluetooth headsets Motosonic 700BH £139.99

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: bluetooth headsets Motosonic 700BH £139.99

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coalmine View Post
    Yes, I see lots of people who think the same driving like twats on my daily commute to work.
    Elephants are four-legged animals. Not all four-legged animals are elephants.

HTH

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

No
    So by your logic you are a twat for talking to people as it will distract you.
    Any idiot that doesn't sit in silence and concentrate 100% on their driving better not complain about inatentive drivers.
    but they are still a distraction,
    Never said otherwise. I'm fairly certain my point was exactly that.
    although less than using a phone.
    How so?
    What is different between a convo with someone sat right next to/behind you and someone on the other end of a phone?
    And why does a sat nav need a screen if it talks to you?
    Cos you might not hear the audio cue cos you were concentrating on your riding/driving at that moment. You can then look at the visual cue when it's safe to do so.*

The simple fact of the matter is (too simple for some it seems) that any outside influence can be distracting if you let it be. If you concentrate TOO MUCH on anything that is detrimental to the task in hand whilst riding/driving then it can go pear shaped.
    Using a hands free phone/intercom is certainly no more dangerous than talking to someone in the car, or watching overhead aircraft, looking at passing scenery, listening to a hot debate on Jeremy Vine or Greg James talk shite.
    If you give any of them too much concentration they have the potential to cause you to crash.
    But we don't gag and bind passengers, have radios removed and wear blinkers so we can't see anything but the road ahead.
    We simply ignore those outside influences (and many thousands of others) when it would be unsafe to give up our concentration.

You don't want to be contactable? Don't answer the phone.
    I'm not so self inportant that I feel that I just have to be contactable either,
    In fact I pretty much know nobody will call me while I am riding, and if they do I probably won't answer.
    However I do like to be able to let the wife know I will be later home than planned without having to stop, get my gloves and lid off and make the call, getting redressed and getting back under way...
    I also like the ability to be able to phone/or B2B the person I am riding with sometimes. It comes in handy.
    Many things make me a twat, but having a bluetooth headset isn't one of them.

*= not like me.

Liked 85 in 67 posts
    Blog Entries

Lefties rule OK !
    all the bestest people in the world are Lefties....

as for Sat Navs et al, if you can't distinguish between when it's safe to use one or not then you really shouldn't be riding a bike at all,
    this blinkered, don't do anything else crap is getting boring now, as Schtum says, some of us can manage to do two things at once without dying in a Burny Fireball of Death....

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

I know I've taken my time to respond but here's what I feel / think:

Talking to passengers, can't do much about that but I get the sense that if the person is sat next to you it takes less concentration to talk to them than if they are not there. I'll happily talk to my wife sat next to me in a car and drive perfectly well, if I get on the phone (which I stopped myself doing years ago) my driving goes out of the window. If this sounds odd, why do the stats say that someone using a phone is as likely to have an accident as someone over the drink drive limit but the same is not true for when passengers are in the car? It seems that it's a case of, "instant arsehole driver, just add phone!".

Sat Navs - my comment about screens was aimed at cars really, doesn't make sense to have a screen if it gives audible instructions. My brother had a speech only version in his car a few years ago, he pressed a tit on his dashboard and it dialled a sat nav centre, tell them where you were going and audible instructions were given throughout the journey, no screen needed. It does wind me up that when there's more than one person in the car the driver has the sat nav pointing at him/her, surely the passenger should manage it.

I am very anti distractions on bikes, phones, sat navs, iPods etc, I guess I feel its the last bastion of privacy and it's a shame technology is spoiling it. I ride a sports bike and I'm either commuting in to London on it where I need 100% concentration just to not get knocked off or out at the weekend on the twisties where I need 100% concentration not to end up in a hedge, so again I'm anti any other distractions.

Given the number of cars and the very poor level of driving skills in the UK I feel that you're asking for trouble if you have anything on your bike that distracts you from the job in hand. Adam admitted that when his phone goes he slows down by 50% when answering it, doesn't that prove it is a distraction if you need to slow; why not pull over and stop to answer it. Come on, have our lives got so cushy that it's a real pain to take your lid and gloves off? Or better still, are any of us that important that we can't ignore the phone and enjoy the bike ride?

I seem to remember coping perfectly well in life without a mobile, technology issupposed to enhace our lives, not run them. It's bad enough having my mobile and Blackberry run my work like, I'll be dammed if the'll run my personal life as well.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Adam admitted that when his phone goes he slows down by 50% when answering it, doesn't that prove it is a distraction if you need to slow; why not pull over and stop to answer it.
    For the same reason that in the car I don't pull over and stop have a convo with a passenger, to change radio stations, change gear, look in the mirror, do a shoulder check.....

Because I mitigate the possible outcome by changing the conditions, or waiting until they are such that it is quite safe to use part of my concentration to hold a low level convo, or take my hand off the wheel, or take my eyes off the road ahead...

Of course holding a convo takes some concentration. I never even suggested otherwise.

But the same way you can hold a reasonable convo in a car but wouldn't try it while trying to win the F1 championship, you can quite reasonably have minor distractions on a bike without it becoming the end of the world as we know it...

You seem to have an all or nothing approach to the whole idea. Try searching in the grey areas, not the blacks and whites for answers.

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    You seem to have an all or nothing approach to the whole idea. Try searching in the grey areas, not the blacks and whites for answers.
    It's a general approach of mine, don't do grey areas, not smart enough.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

It's a general approach of mine, don't do grey areas, not smart enough.
    Then fair play, it's probably best to avoid the use of technology on a bike....

Liked 3,415 in 2,249 posts

FWIW:

Driver reaction times, such as the time taken to apply the brakes or steer away from danger, are significantly slower when driving whilst using a hands-free mobile phone than when driving whilst over the legal alcohol limit, according to a study by car insurer Direct Line, carried out by Transport Research Laboratory (TRL).

When travelling at 70 mph the affect on reaction time caused by the hands-free mobile conversation means that the vehicle travels 26ft further than one driven under ‘normal conditions’ before the driver is fully engaged and able to take the appropriate action.

In contrast, someone driving slightly over the legal alcohol limit would travel just 13ft further than someone driving under normal conditions before they responded - half the distance of the hands-free mobile using driver.

Previous research, highlighted by TRL in the study, has shown that any conversation taking place in the vehicle is a major distraction, with drivers’ concentration levels reduced for an average of 10 minutes after the conversation has ended.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    FWIW:

[I]Driver reaction times, such as the time taken to apply the brakes or steer away from danger, are significantly slower when driving whilst using a hands-free mobile phone than when driving whilst over the legal alcohol limit, according to a study by car insurer Direct Line, carried out by Transport Research Laboratory (TRL).

When travelling at 70 mph the affect on reaction time caused by the hands-free mobile conversation means that the vehicle travels 26ft further than one driven under ‘normal conditions’ before the driver is fully engaged and able to take the appropriate action.
    And when holding the same conversation but with a passenger?

Liked 3,415 in 2,249 posts

And when holding the same conversation but with a passenger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Driver reaction times, such as the time taken to apply the brakes or steer away from danger, are significantly slower when driving whilst using a hands-free mobile phone than when driving whilst over the legal alcohol limit, according to a study by car insurer Direct Line, carried out by Transport Research Laboratory (TRL).

Previous research, highlighted by TRL in the study, has shown that any conversation taking place in the vehicle is a major distraction, with drivers’ concentration levels reduced for an average of 10 minutes after the conversation has ended.
    Canadian (IIRC) research using a large company's fleet accident/insurance records compared against mobile phone records found the distraction effect of a call lasted up to 20 mins after the call had ended.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Quite. Anything that isn't driving is a distraction, but it is only as big a distraction as you let it be.
    Different people cope with the distractions differently.
    A hands free convo wouldn't cause 26ft longer braking distance at 70mph for all people.
    Some it would have hardly any effect, some it would have loads.
    Some people blabber away incessantly on the phone, others (like me) give one word answers, ignore what they are saying if I am too busy riding/driving and tell the other person to bog off if they are too demanding of my time, if indeed I answer it.

There's a fair bit of difference between a hands free convo and a bluetooth intercom being used to give the occasional direction (be it from a GPS or a fellow rider) anyhow.
    I certainly wouldn't recommend their use for discussing particle physics whilst on a ride.

Liked 128 in 69 posts

No, but they are still a distraction, although less than using a phone. And why does a sat nav need a screen if it talks to you?
    Because not everyone has good hearing. In addition if you come up to a complicated junction, the verbal commands can be a bit slow and result in last minute changes of directions.

Talking to passengers, can't do much about that but I get the sense that if the person is sat next to you it takes less concentration to talk to them than if they are not there. I'll happily talk to my wife sat next to me in a car and drive perfectly well, if I get on the phone (which I stopped myself doing years ago) my driving goes out of the window.
    The theory is that the passenger will have enough sense to be quiet if the driver is coming up to a section of road where they need to concentrate. However I know plenty of passengers who are more than capable of nattering on irrespective of what is going on.

Some people blabber away incessantly on the phone, others (like me) give one word answers, ignore what they are saying if I am too busy riding/driving and tell the other person to bog off if they are too demanding of my time, if indeed I answer it.
    Exactly, I've often told someone on the phone to stop talking as I was coming up to a junction/roundabout and needed to concentrate.

However I'd imagine most intercom users on bikes are more about communicating with a pillion, another bike or listening rather than chating away on the phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission