TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: BMW 1200 GS Adventure*

Liked 85 in 67 posts
    Blog Entries

Default BMW 1200 GS Adventure*

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My first venture into BM ownership after many many years of slating the breed and I have to admit to being hooked
    for a large Motorbike it rides really well and hides/carries it's bulk extremely well.
    Good on fuel, good on tyres, and comfortable to boot, plenty good enough for a full tank of over 350 miles between stops.
    Theres a plethora of bolt on goodies to buy for them so if , like Me, you enjoy buying "farkles" there plenty to choose from.
    There's a few relaiability issiue that may or may not rear their head but on the wholethe BMW quality shines through.
    this is the first bike I've had where a pillion makes very little difference and that in itself makes the bike worthwhile to me.
    Very pleased..and so far I'll buy another when when this ones worn out

Liked 7 in 5 posts

Default Re: BMW 1200 GS Adventure

On my 3rd GS and 2nd ADV in 6 years.

Had all sorts in the past and frankly believe BMWs are something you kinda grow into.

Personally I just rode sportsbikes for years, then sports tourers, then an ST1100 ( great bike and much underestimated ) - avoiding Beemer's like the plague - until I rode an ADV and, grudgingly perhaps, realised they make PERFECT sense.

Great handling, comfy, good MPG, slightly rugged feel as opposed to ridiculously unusable power in a bland wrapper, and they do for everything everywhere.

If I could afford 2 bikes I'd have another ADV.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Thumbs up Re: BMW 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by phooey View Post
    ...... realised they make PERFECT sense.

Great handling, comfy, good MPG, slightly rugged feel as opposed to ridiculously unusable power in a bland wrapper, and they do for everything everywhere......
    short wheelbase, (were) simple mechanically

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Greater than the sum of it's parts.

NOTHING about the R1200GSA excels. They are ridiculously expensive, fairly unreliable, not particularly well built or finished, slow and underpowered compared to a lot of other bikes (even similar ones), on standard shocks only handle adequately (just) and weigh more than the average London bus. Fuel range isn't bad I suppose.

Fuckin rock don't they?

You either get it, or you don't.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

i got the 1150 model, try ukgser if you need any info for a bmw gs

A Bit Bored
    Liked: 1/1

On my 5th BMW and 3rd GS. They do what it says on the tin. I like the GSA's but to be fair, the standard GS is justas much fun and handles a little better at high speed. Short of that, buy one, keep it for miles. Tip: If yours is new and you think its slow, wring it for 18-20K miles. Then reset valves and rockers and hang on. Seriously. You *will* need a velcro seat. They are just getting going when some over bikes are all done in....

Like one. Buy one. Ignore the idiots that got stroppy with the dealers and slag them off...

Gimmie an 1100GS and I'll show you an empty B road.....

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daymo View Post
    Gimmie an 1100GS and I'll show you an empty B road.....
    He will have gone straight on through the hedge.

A Bit Bored
    Liked: 1/1

ah. yes. well, I must bow to your omnipitance (?). What I meant to type was:

"All BMW's in general and GS's in particular are overpriced, badly made, lethal crap that should be removed from the road under the Geneva Convention"..

Yes, That was it...

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission